Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Difference between additional sceince and science Watch

ReputationRep:
    On my GCSE certificates, it says I got a C for science D for additional science and a CC for applied science.

What I want to know it, what is the difference between additional science and science? and also, which one of the 2 is concidered better?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    additional science is additional.

ReputationRep:
    Well all I know is that with additional science, you can study the sciences at A-level (well, provided you've got a B or above)

Edit - You have grades for both applied and additional science?

I thought you could only pick one or the other? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    science is core science, usually, though not always, done in year ten. additional science is a second gcse which is more science, usually done in year 11. these two are considered better than applied science, but applied science isn't that bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    science is core science, usually, though not always, done in year ten. additional science is a second gcse which is more science, usually done in year 11. these two are considered better than applied science, but applied science isn't that bad!
    So on ucas when the requirements say C in science, do they mean additional science or just sceince?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)
    So on ucas when the requirements say C in science, do they mean additional science or just sceince?

errr... i wouldn't know off hand. I would guess that c in core science is ok, but you're probably best to check with someone who would know better, I haven't reached the joys of ucas yet!

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain that most Sixth Form don't accept students into Science subjects without Additional - regardless whether you get A* in Core.

The C in Science should be Core.

ReputationRep:
    One is ''sceince'' and the other is ''science''.

ReputationRep:
    From what i know additional science is part of the double award science so you get 2 grades at the end of year 11. So in my school we did the double award science where we did core science in Year 10 and Additional science in Year 11.

Apparently separate sciences is better than all the others becasue you learn much more in each science subject which will help especially at A-Level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.