Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Liberal Democrats are being victimised Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am baffled as to why people thinking that broken promises is new to politics. Labour are experts at it!

Why do you think my beloved party (the Lib Dems) are doing something that was previously unknown?

ReputationRep:
    ... So you're saying broken promises are ok?

I think the Lib-Dems have broken their promises more spectacularly than any other party in recent times. I mean he signed a pledge, a frikken pledge. I understand why they've broken their promises but they still did it and they did it blatantly too.

ReputationRep:
      Assumption: OP is basing his theory on the replies on this website.
      Hypothesis: As this website is full of students, the backlash against the Lib Dems here will be greater than that of the average population.

ReputationRep:
      Nick Clegg openly betrayed one of his core group of voters in less than a year. The man has thrown away any illusion of principles now that he's reached high office. His preaching about 'broken promises' was just a disposable election ploy.
      Most politicians are hypocrites but Clegg and his party have dug new depths.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cheofik)
      I am baffled as to why people thinking that broken promises is new to politics. Labour are experts at it!?
      So is your argument "Politicians always break promises, so we shouldn't care when they do it again."?

ReputationRep:
      Broken promises: The Lib dem pledge.
      How are Labour the experts?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cheofik)
      I am baffled as to why people thinking that broken promises is new to politics. Labour are experts at it!

Why do you think my beloved party (the Lib Dems) are doing something that was previously unknown?
      Whether it's been done before or not it still pisses people off, simples.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
      Nick Clegg openly betrayed one of his core group of voters in less than a year.
      This.

It was a lie, no less. Do you know how no tuition fees sounds to so many students? It sounds so appealing, worth voting for - wouldn't you agree? If you vote for this and he doesn't go through with it, he's made you vote for him on false premises.

A Labour MP got banned for lying, he should have the same done to him.

ReputationRep:
      You can sort of understand if circumstances mean a party can't follow through completely on a promise, or have to delay its implementation, but to plan to drop it without a fight is despicable. If they were that unsure of being able to push it through, why make all the fuss of signing written pledges?

Actually, why aren't written contracts binding? There's video evidence of the MPs signing the pledges too, predating any agreement between them and the Tories, so all who signed them are still compelled to vote against rises in tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
      I kinda agree. It's not like they're in government by themselves and they've completely reversed all their election pledges. It's a coalition government, it's in its nature that there are sometimes going to be policies enacted that one of the parties is uncomfortable with. The full state of the economic disaster wasn't actually revealed until after the election anyway.

Ask yourself three questions:

If the Lib Dems has known just how much **** Labour had left us in before the election, what changes would they have made to their manifesto?

If you think this is bad, would it be better or worse with a purely Tory Government?

If Labour were still in power, would they actually be doing anything different given that the uni fees hike was their idea in the first place?

ReputationRep:

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      This is different to most lies in politics.
      The lib dems won most of their seats in student areas. They got these student votes because of their stance of tuition fees.
      If they didn't campaign the election on the promise of not increasing fees, then the likelyhood is that they would have won a substantial number of less seats. And wouldn't be in government.
      There aren't many lies that are told in politics that impact the effect of an election so greatly.

ReputationRep:
      That's kinda the point of the Coalition thing. Pretty neat, huh?

ReputationRep:
      Broken promises and politics are joined at the hip. Everybody knows that.

ReputationRep:
      Oh give them a fecking break, they want their voting reform and they had to sellout big time to the tories to get it happen. They wouldn't have got even a sniff at power otherwise, they need this to ever have a hope at winning the general election in the future, however absurd that statement might sound. Clegg takes no pleasure in this, I expect he feels abject humiliation for it. But there is nothing he can do, his hands are tied, because the lib dems need the conservatives to pass a few things that will help secure the lib dems a future majority in the commons. They are still a minority party though, they cannot demand great amounts from the Cons, because if they do, well... they will not get their reforms.

ReputationRep:
      Unfortunately for them, the Lib Dems decided to make that pledge whilst thinking "there's **** all chance of us actually coming to power, so let's winz0r some student votes!!1!1!".

I feel sorry for Lib Dems such as Simon Hughes who actually defends his current position pretty well, and seem to actually care somewhat about the issue. But I do not agree with the abolition of tuition fees in the first place so I don't have that much time for them tbh.

ReputationRep:
      they got in on the student vote, thats ****ing why you fool.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cssafc)
      they got in on the student vote, thats ****ing why you fool.
      If the students voters were too dumb to actually see the truth behind the promises though, then surely that's not our fault?

ReputationRep:
      One of their main policies was to abolish tuition fees, they signed a pledge to vote against ANY increases in fees, but are now on the brink of increasing them 3 fold....

I think you could say any victimising is vindicated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXw7yqHfxDI

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.