Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So the Welsh Assembly is planning protecting all Welsh Students from the 9K a year tuition fees by subsidising costs, effectively all Welsh Students in 2012 will be paying the same as current students.

I personally am and English student studying at a Welsh Uni so obviously never qualified for the previous subsidies, where as my partner born in Wales only paid half of what I did for fees.

Im curious as to peoples opinions on this - do you think its right that Welsh students should be paying less than English students? For example if me and my partner we're starting next year he'd be paying up to 6grand a year less than me.

I personally think the tuition fee rise is a joke and I'm glad Wales has decided to protect their students however It would make me wonder how we could both be studying at the same University on the same course and yet how I could be charged a ridiculous amount more just because I come from a few miles further down the road....

Do you think this might encourage people to stay/move to Wales in a bid to get cheaper tuition fees for their children?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so pleased about this. I love living in Wales!

But yeah, I foresee an influx of people hoping for lower fees. I wouldn't blame anyone for moving here because of this either. I'd want to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course it's fair, Wales voted for a devolved government and England rejected theirs. I'm Welsh so I'm extremely pleased with this announcement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    I'm so pleased about this. I love living in Wales!

But yeah, I foresee an influx of people hoping for lower fees. I wouldn't blame anyone for moving here because of this either. I'd want to.
    Precisely - Ever since I moved to Wales (and I live here permanently now) I have seen so many benefits, even things like free prescriptions etc. It seriously makes me consider not ever moving back to England especially if I want my future children to have a chance of making something of themselves...

(Original post by Lewis :D)
    Yes of course it's fair, Wales voted for a devolved government and England rejected theirs. I'm Welsh so I'm extremely pleased with this announcement.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong Im not bitter about it (being english) but I can imagine there is a lot of English who will be. Im glad Wales has seen sense to protect students

ReputationRep:
    Grossly unfair. Devolution sucks for anyone living in England.

ReputationRep:
    I was over the moon when I heard this on the radio. I am glad that the Welsh Assembly, which I think I am right in saying still has a Labour majority decided that the rises would be unfair. Maybe this was some way of Labour getting in the good books of us students but I'm not complaining :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Precisely - Ever since I moved to Wales (and I live here permanently now) I have seen so many benefits, even things like free prescriptions etc. It seriously makes me consider not ever moving back to England especially if I want my future children to have a chance of making something of themselves...
    Yeah, I was always intending to leave Wales, but I'm not too sure any more.

Although it's unfortunate for them, I don't think English students have the right to be at all outraged by this, which I bet they will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Grossly unfair. Devolution sucks for anyone living in England.
    Not really, England had a referendum on devolution and as soon as one region said no it couldn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    I was over the moon when I heard this on the radio. I am glad that the Welsh Assembly, which I think I am right in saying still has a Labour majority decided that the rises would be unfair. Maybe this was some way of Labour getting in the good books of us students but I'm not complaining :P
    Yeah as far as I am aware is still a Labour majority - I think in March or May we have the Welsh Assembly elections so fingers crossed it stays that way - I know who Im voting for

ReputationRep:
    Not really, England had a referendum on devolution and as soon as one region said no it couldn't happen.
    England have never had a referendum on devolution.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's right that English students have to pay more, but that's hardly Wales' fault. It is the fault of the current government, who can point at the bankers, who can sort of point at Labour, who then point back at the bankers.

Good on you, Wales, looking after your children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I don't think it's right that English students have to pay more, but that's hardly Wales' fault. It is the fault of the current government, who can point at the bankers, who can sort of point at Labour, who then point back at the bankers.

Good on you, Wales, looking after your children.
    It drives me mad that so many students (myself included) practically voted for this though - well we didnt - we voted for scrapping tution fees but good old Cleggy had other ideas when he was offered a chance of power.....but meh Im going off the point there...

ReputationRep:
    England have never had a referendum on devolution.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...erendums,_2004
    Do your research first. Referendums were held in North East England and they were rejected, there was no point in conducting more referendums if the first one failed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    Yeah, I was always intending to leave Wales, but I'm not too sure any more.

Although it's unfortunate for them, I don't think English students have the right to be at all outraged by this, which I bet they will be.
    You think English students don't deserve reduced tuition fees but Welsh and Scottish do? Why wouldn't anyone be outraged, none of us upcoming students voted for this. It's also nice to see solidarity from our friends across the border, the second you get what you want you denounce the English.... nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    You think English students don't deserve reduced tuition fees but Welsh and Scottish do? Why wouldn't anyone be outraged, none of us upcoming students voted for this. It's also nice to see solidarity from our friends across the border the second you get what you want you denounce the English.....
    Not really, look into the politics first. England voted conservative, Wales voted Labour. Why should Wales not have reduced fees if our assembly, elected by us has chosen to protect them?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...erendums,_2004
    Do your research first. Referendums were held in North East England and they were rejected, there was no point in conducting more referendums if the first one failed.
    I have done my research first thanks. A referendum in one region about giving that region an assembly is not a proper referendum on devolution.

ReputationRep:
    I have done my research first thanks. A referendum in one region about giving that region an assembly is not a proper referendum on devolution.
    They had to do it region by region, if one rejected it there was no point in holding more as it can't work if certain regions say no.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, look into the politics first. England voted conservative, Wales voted Labour. Why should Wales not have reduced fees if our assembly, elected by us has chosen to protect them?
    That would be a good point if England had an English parliament.

Its not fair that a Scottish or Welch MP can vote on an issue that will have no relevance to their constituency. Its also not fair that if my brother was born 12 miles to the west he would get a substantially cheaper education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    It drives me mad that so many students (myself included) practically voted for this though - well we didnt - we voted for scrapping tution fees but good old Cleggy had other ideas when he was offered a chance of power.....but meh Im going off the point there...
    It was even before that, sadly

I don't think too many people in England will be angry at Wales for protecting their kids - envious maybe. On its own, it wouldn't be enough to encourage loads of people to bring their children up in Wales, since too much can change in 18 years (it would take less than that for fees to rise from 0 to £9k).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    You think English students don't deserve reduced tuition fees but Welsh and Scottish do? Why wouldn't anyone be outraged, none of us upcoming students voted for this. It's also nice to see solidarity from our friends across the border, the second you get what you want you denounce the English.... nice.
    No, of course they deserve it! I think you misconstrued what I meant. I think English students should be outraged about how the fees are rising, just not bitter towards the Welsh about it. Sorry if I worded it badly.
    While it's obviously horrible for the English, politically it's perfectly fair that Welsh students will pay lower.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.