Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need some personal opinions on where to go next year on holiday in the summer with my friends. We narrowed the original "EuroTrip" down to between Spain, Italy, France, Germany or Holland, and the last two are (currently) winning.

Assuming they win the top two, which would be best to go to??? I know we could go to both, but I want to see what everyone else thinks, either from experience or preference.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to both and would have to say that Berlin was mucccccch better.
    Amsterdam is one of those places that you have to go once but we found that we soon run out of things to do ( we were there for three days) and that everything was pretty damn expensive. Once you get over the novelty of the coffee shops and the red light district then, it gets boring - I do really think that the hype of Amsterdam is overrated. It would be perfect for a short lad/girly holiday though...

Berlin on the other hand was incredible; and the best city of our Euro trip. The nightlife was amazing; there are so many clubs and so much cheap beer...! Lots of stuff to do obviously including all the history in Berlin, but then again my friends and I were all really keen on seeing The Wall, Checkpoint Charlie etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    I've been to both and would have to say that Berlin was mucccccch better.
    Amsterdam is one of those places that you have to go once but we found that we soon run out of things to do ( we were there for three days) and that everything was pretty damn expensive. Once you get over the novelty of the coffee shops and the red light district then, it gets boring - I do really think that the hype of Amsterdam is overrated. It would be perfect for a short lad/girly holiday though...

Berlin on the other hand was incredible; and the best city of our Euro trip. The nightlife was amazing; there are so many clubs and so much cheap beer...! Lots of stuff to do obviously including all the history in Berlin, but then again my friends and I were all really keen on seeing The Wall, Checkpoint Charlie etc....
    Yeah, we though if we went to both we'd go to Amsterdam for about 2/3 days only. We'd plan to go to for the beer festivals, and the clubs too. And as you said, the Germans are great to make friends with. I really want to go to Amsterdam, but I think that Berlin would be better in terms of contiuity and being able to do things =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Yeah, we though if we went to both we'd go to Amsterdam for about 2/3 days only. We'd plan to go to for the beer festivals, and the clubs too. And as you said, the Germans are great to make friends with. I really want to go to Amsterdam, but I think that Berlin would be better in terms of contiuity and being able to do things =]
    Well...we found the Germans to be really rude and unwelcoming towards us and other friends who went separatly to us, also experienced the same coldness towards English tourists. However, we made soooo many awesome friends in our hostel from all over thw world, who we went out with every night.

We were in Berlin for 3 full days and I think that was probably enough, I really want to go back though...!

ReputationRep:
    Unless you really want the specific things Amsterdam offers, Berlin is much better. We found Amsterdam really expensive and just not as nice as Berlin in terms of things to do.

ReputationRep:
    Amsterdam :bong2:

ReputationRep:
    The Dam. Always. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    They are both amazing cities but definitely Berlin. There's more to do and see there during the day, and the nightlife (imo) is superior, not to mention that it's ridiculously cheap compared to the Dam as well.

And I can confirm that German people are ridiculously friendly. Also, the majority of the people I came across in Berlin seemed to speak good English.

ReputationRep:
    My family are from Holland but I am learning german so have been to Berlin many times. Dutch people are much more friendly than the germans, but Berlin has much more to do, so I would recommend there. Especially if you like sausages

ReputationRep:
    ... I do not agree that Dutch people are friendlier than Germans. I lived in Amsterdam and Berlin and found it much easier to find friends in Berlin. Berlin is generally much easier in many terms: cheaper, more social and laid-back people, more cafes, many more options to go out, easy to find an apartment, more culture, more dynamic, many more parks, surrounded by beautiful lakes, I even find Berlin more tolerant!

Also Berlin is greener, the weather is much better (real summers, real winters, Amsterdam is most of the time rainy and windy)... All things I would have never expected... I find that Amsterdam is overrated while Berlin still is underrated. The only challenge in Berlin: It is a big and diverse city with many different neighborhoods, so you have to find the right places, the right kiez (Xberg is the best area in my opinion)... It would be helpful if you know someone. But there are also many possibilities to meet young people from all over the world who know where to go and what to do...

But in the end: You can have a good time in both cities, that depends all on yourself.

cheers!

ReputationRep:
    the dam every time. smoke all the ganj you can handle and **** a hooker or 2 if you're into that sort of thing. what more could you ask for?

ReputationRep:
    well not berlin, it's not really a nice city IMHO. the really nice german towns are munich and frankfurt a.m
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was neither in Amsterdam nor in Berlin, so I can't recommend both of them. If you want to travel to a German town next year, I would suggest you to go to Hamburg. It's a nice port town!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.