Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Received my offer for maths and physics the other day, with no mention of STEP or AEA, i thought (or assumed) that all maths offers contain STEP/AEA, any others applied to maths/ physics had an offer like mine?

ReputationRep:
    The Maths-Physics course is managed by the Physics department, so I assume that its all Maths courses that are ran by the Maths department that require STEP/AEA.

Btw I am a current Warwick Maths-Physics student and I never took STEP/AEA

ReputationRep:
    got an offer for maths and physics, also no STEP requirement, was kinda surprised too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Maths-Physics doesn't require STEP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rash92)
    got an offer for maths and physics, also no STEP requirement, was kinda surprised too.
    Heyy!!
    Is your PS kinda biased towards maths alone or mixture of both maths and physics???

I'm interested in maths and physics but my PS is only about maths.
    Also, I have applied for MORSE which I have offer for that but still interested in applying for maths and physics...do you think it's worth applying for maths and physics while already holding offer for MORSE or it's most probably they will reject me????

Or another choice : apply for Maths G100 then when i go there ask them to change to maths and physics.

Di you think which option is better??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    Heyy!!
    Is your PS kinda biased towards maths alone or mixture of both maths and physics???

I'm interested in maths and physics but my PS is only about maths.
    Also, I have applied for MORSE which I have offer for that but still interested in applying for maths and physics...do you think it's worth applying for maths and physics while already holding offer for MORSE or it's most probably they will reject me????

Or another choice : apply for Maths G100 then when i go there ask them to change to maths and physics.

Di you think which option is better??

Thanks
    Based on percentages alone, you are more likely to receive an offer via the Maths course (based on 2008 and 2009 figures it was 93%), doubt it would be as much for maths phys. However, the maths offer is harder and only a third or so of people who firm warwick meet the STEP requirement. Maths phys offer is easier. You can switch from maths to maths phys but not the other way round. Applying to MORSE won't affect your other applications. I'd say sticking is your best bet here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Based on percentages alone, you are more likely to receive an offer via the Maths course (based on 2008 and 2009 figures it was 93%), doubt it would be as much for maths phys. However, the maths offer is harder and only a third or so of people who firm warwick meet the STEP requirement. Maths phys offer is easier. You can switch from maths to maths phys but not the other way round. Applying to MORSE won't affect your other applications. I'd say sticking is your best bet here.
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm 100% applying for maths(after having long discussions with people) and hopefully I can meet the STEP offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    You can switch from maths to maths phys but not the other way round.
    yes you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zap_brannigan)
    yes you can
    Whoops, mean Maths Phys and Physics. Or something. Was a while ago.

ReputationRep:
    Relevant to this, is it possible to change courses from physics to physics w/maths. I have an offer from Warwick physics and if I get A*AA or above (which I hope to) I was wondering whether you think it is a good idea or even possible to ask about switching to a maths with physics course...

I want to go into theoretical physics btw.

ReputationRep:
    I've read on their prospectus that you are able to switch from math and physics to math the next year if you do well.

ReputationRep:
    i had maths and physics pretty much half and half, since most of the unis i applied to i applied for maths and physics or maths with physics. i couldn't decide between the two so i figured i'd do a year and decide which i want to switch to, if any, in the second year.

i didnt need to do STEP and maths needs A*A*A whereas maths and physics only needs A*AA which is a bonus (at least, that's what i gathered from the site, and my offer matches that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereAmI)
    Relevant to this, is it possible to change courses from physics to physics w/maths. I have an offer from Warwick physics and if I get A*AA or above (which I hope to) I was wondering whether you think it is a good idea or even possible to ask about switching to a maths with physics course...

I want to go into theoretical physics btw.
    If you do decide to change it, it's probably best to try and change it now rather than later, as if you change your course after some certain date (it's during the summer, but not exactly sure when) you get put at the bottom of the pile for accomodation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.