Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't sent mine eeek. For secondary Biology. I am working on my PS. Anybody else still not sent it?

ReputationRep:
    I only sent my scottish pgde off this afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    I can't send it! It keeps telling me sections aren't complete, even though I've ticked the box. Just because there are asterisks by sections that aren't relevant to me and don't need ot be completed!!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be sending mine for Geography at the end of January I expect, trying to get the balance between getting experience and not leaving it too late.

ReputationRep:
    that's interesting Lost, you think there will still be places? I assumed I was cutting mine fine by sending it off today (I assume you're secondary). I'm history though, and I've heard it's pretty competitive (no idea about geography).

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Primary and I still haven't sent mine, but I'm applying for a SCITT scheme so it's slightly different and the closing date isn't until the 3rd. I've got to send it electronically and post it, but thankfully I don't live very far from where my local SCITT scheme is based so I'm going to hand it in in person tomorrow.

I wasn't originally going to apply until next year as I wasn't sure that I'd got enough experience. I went to an open evening last week and asked them about it, and they said what experience I have got should be okay, so I decided to apply now. I won't be surprised if I'm rejected as it's been incredibly rushed but I figure I've got nothing to lose by applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retro21)
    that's interesting Lost, you think there will still be places? I assumed I was cutting mine fine by sending it off today (I assume you're secondary). I'm history though, and I've heard it's pretty competitive (no idea about geography).
    Hopefully....

I thinking I'm going for Bristol, Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton, so I expect they will all be competitive but it would seem a bit silly to have a deadline in June if they're all full in January especially as primary has its deadline much earlier (I assume for a reason). Anyway, I currently have 1 day of school based experience from 2 years ago - I think if I want to actually get in anywhere I'm going to need a bit more than that, so its not as if I really have much choice but to wait a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have zero experience! But have a good month lined up between now and the september start date, so I'm hoping that goes in my favour. But yeah, I can see why you waited.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting on a ref... so stressed. I'm applying for primary so don't think I have a hope unless it amazingly turns up by tonight! Is part time as competitive?

ReputationRep:
    you are all cutting it very fine a lot of courses are full already. They may not say it on their website but phone them up and they will tell you they are full.

I did the SCITT and it was no different to applying to a uni for a PGCE, places will mostly be filled by jan/feb at the latest for the majority of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline_p3)
    you are all cutting it very fine a lot of courses are full already. They may not say it on their website but phone them up and they will tell you they are full.

I did the SCITT and it was no different to applying to a uni for a PGCE, places will mostly be filled by jan/feb at the latest for the majority of subjects.
    Is that for primary or secondary?

ReputationRep:
    Both. Primary is more competitive for places and most will have already had interviews and filled up places from my experience. When i applied for secondary last year by this time most courses i wanted to apply for were full. GTTR didn't tell me this, the website just said processing, it was only because i phoned them and found out the course i had applied to was already full and they never even got sent my application form!

ReputationRep:
    aye, I think I shall be phoning around tmrw to see the situation. This damn snow doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying this is definite but just what happens in my experience. When each course gets a minimum of 4, 5 ,6 or more times the number of applications than places, they have to get moving fast.

ReputationRep:
    hey shabanna,

im gona apply for secondary biology too in Nottingham, roehampton and London? don't think il send it till end of month/start of January. i rang a few colleges and they said there is no hurry, and last year they were still receiving applications in MAY.
    what colleges are you applying too? any word on bursaries or funding.
    just completed four year BSc General Science in Ireland.
    dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedan22)
    hey shabanna,

im gona apply for secondary biology too in Nottingham, roehampton and London? don't think il send it till end of month/start of January. i rang a few colleges and they said there is no hurry, and last year they were still receiving applications in MAY.
    what colleges are you applying too? any word on bursaries or funding.
    just completed four year BSc General Science in Ireland.
    dan
    Hi! I'm thinking of applying to York, Leeds and Huddersfield although I'm pretty sure I will put Leeds as my first choice. I know somebody who applied for secondary Chemistry and she applied in August!
    The funding thing is what I am unsure about, as I don't yet know what the fees etc will be, I'm assuming I will be doing it through student finance over here.
    Did you do a year in industry/abroad? Or was the degree 4 years?

ReputationRep:

This isn't true for the SCITT scheme I've applied to. I've spoken to the scheme leaders and they said they don't decide on who to interview until the New Year, and then interviews are in February.

ReputationRep:
    If you choose to ignore advice and not apply till May that is your choice but you will only have yourself to blame when courses are full, often admin people who take your call at universities aren't the ones looking through application forms.
    Teaching jobs are still being filled up till August but if you find yourself not applying till then you will be very disappointed. If you can do it now why not get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    If you choose to ignore advice and not apply till May that is your choice but you will only have yourself to blame when courses are full, often admin people who take your call at universities aren't the ones looking through application forms.
    Teaching jobs are still being filled up till August but if you find yourself not applying till then you will be very disappointed. If you can do it now why not get on with it.
    I have literally been too busy. I just need to edit my PS, get it checked and then its ready to send. I wouldn't want an interview before my January exams anyway.

ReputationRep:
    coming from ireland i dont know much about the competition for these courses...are they hard to get into??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.