Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you become a politician as soon as you leave uni (studying PPE)?

Thanks!

Wodeford

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know the answer to this as I'm thinking of running for nomination as a Liberal Democrat candidate.

ReputationRep:
    ARRRGH!

I hate career politicians. Get some life exp first.

(Original post by Cheofik)
    I'd like to know the answer to this as I'm thinking of running for nomination as a Liberal Democrat candidate.
    Prepare to get egged. What makes you want to run for the orange Torys anyway?

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to accept the responbility of looking after the country, and also accept the fact that not everyone would like you or your policies.

ReputationRep:
    You also have to be a mediocre liar who can make false promises without batting an eyelid. Preferably about cuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    ARRRGH!

I hate career politicians. Get some life exp first.
    I second this: professional politicians get on people's nerves
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Wodeford)
    Can you become a politician as soon as you leave uni (studying PPE)?

Thanks!

Wodeford

You could but I doubt you would be considered as a candidate unless you were SU President or NUS Prez first. You need that political experience. Just go travel for a bit then come back and decide whether you want to be an MP. That's what I'm doing anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to? In college I did some work experience with my local MP and the first piece of advice he gave to me was to have a decent life before politics.

Jumping straight from the bubble of education to the bubble of the westminster village/political world is not wise.

ReputationRep:
    You can, but it is rare. I know a lot of people involved with politics, including my current MP. You must get involved locally and hopefully get voted on by the local party to stand in an election.

ReputationRep:
    Should we be worried about you?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be an MP or a councillor you need to be chosen by a local party as their candidate (and be a member of that party for at least 6 months prior to the election) or enter yourself as an independent candidate.
    You have a better chance of getting elected to a position of government on the back of a party manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    Just do something else first, then come into politics. That is the best way to go.

ReputationRep:
    I strongly second the calls about getting some experience outside of education and politics first.

If you want to, then I would try to become a MP's assistant - check out w4mp.org

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who want to go into politics, what do you want to go into politics to achieve?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can you have to start off in the local council first. You have to do interviews and stuff infront of your local party leaders and they'll give you tasks to see if your any good. Then after you become a councillor you can move into a MP. Also people who tell the truth dont get voted for...so you have to lie.

ReputationRep:
    My bloody god, help us all

A dude straight out of university thinks he can be a meaningful, country changing politician?

Or if your on about just a politician then yer dude, of course

go for it :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by politician?

You're not going to become an MP before the age of 28, if that's what you mean. Beyond that, MP is not exactly a sensible career goal. There is roughly one MP for every 100,000 people, so the odds of you becoming one, ever, are tiny. You can try and get into local politics, but you don't get paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but with relatively little life education or experience you'll end up becoming your party's meat puppet...and everyone hates career politicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    For those of you who want to go into politics, what do you want to go into politics to achieve?
    Well I was personally thinking along the lines of a big house, nice car, offers from businesses who want to use my knowledge of Westminster... That sorta thing. Maybe a moat?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.