Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so for the past year or so I've been pretty sure that I wanted to do medicine at university. I'm doing biology, chemistry, physics and french for A level, and I'm apparently working at an A for all of them. I'm also starting an open university course in spanish in February, so I've been sitting in on some AS spanish lessons this term to keep it going.

Having started studying languages at A level, I've realised just how much I love them, and I'm starting to worry that I don't REALLY want to do medicine. Everyone always says you have to be completely sure, and I know that I'm not. Whereas I know that I really do enjoy languages.

So now I'm not sure whether to do a degree in french and spanish at university, or do medicine. If I did a languages degree, I'd like to be a secondary school language teacher, and all my friends have said I'd make a really good teacher because when they ask me for help they say I explain things really clearly.

I'm thinking of applying to oxford if I do medicine and probably cambridge if I do languages.

So what do you think? Should I stick with medicine or do languages?

ReputationRep:
    Choose the one you love more. Surely it isn't rocket science?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Language. You're clearly passionate for them, and med is hard enough to get through if you know that's the only thing you've ever wanted Let someone else have the place.

ReputationRep:
    Choose the one that's got your heart. Or you could take a gap year and figure out what you want to do in your life. That's also an option and apply for 2012...

the best thing to know if something is right for you really is to get work experience, if you have been thinking about medicine before then I'm assuming you have some? What did you think of it and do you think languages is something that would be more fun? Think and make an informed decision for your own good
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Choose the one you love more. Surely it isn't rocket science?
    No, it's brain surgery!

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    Choose the one that's got your heart. Or you could take a gap year and figure out what you want to do in your life. That's also an option and apply for 2012...

the best thing to know if something is right for you really is to get work experience, if you have been thinking about medicine before then I'm assuming you have some? What did you think of it and do you think languages is something that would be more fun? Think and make an informed decision for your own good
    Hey, thanks for replying.

I did some work experience at a GP surgery, and at the time I really enjoyed it. I was hoping to get a job there during term but they've decided to stop taking students now, which is really annoying.

I also went to a garden centre for adults with learning difficulties and helped them out. I have to admit I didn't really enjoy it that much because there wasn't always a lot to do since it was past the main growing season, although they did have an open day during the week which was really fun.

I had thought about taking a gap year but tbh I can't really think of anything I'd do during that time and I'd rather go straight on to university. But the thing about medicine is that if I did end up choosing it and I got in, then I'd pretty much have decided my whole life. And I'm not sure I want to restrict myself to a certain career path so early on.

ReputationRep:
    Do languages. You do not seem to be passionate about medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Basically:

Hi, everyone! I love languages. I've been doing languages in my spare time and want to do a language course. I would love to be a language teacher, all my friends say I would be really good at it as well. I love languages so much!

PS) Medicine's okay as well, shall I do that instead?

ReputationRep:
    Medicines a big thing to get into if you're not totally sure... if you prefer languages, go with that!

ReputationRep:
    Languages! If that's what you know you love, go for it - medicine is much more competitive and perhaps not worth the stress if you're not 100% sure that that's what you really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're smart enough to be doing all 3 and a language then you should be doing rocket science mate :p: I'm good at languages and would epically fail at biology (in fact I did epically fail, although managed to get a c :p:) chemistry and physics.

You should do languages though because you have a clear passion for them, and plus it's not as competitive as medicine and easier to get into....

ReputationRep:
    Weigh up the reasons why you want to do each course I guess. What was it about medicine that attracted you to it in the first place, what (if anything) has changed since you thought about taking medicine.
    I guess it depends on how far you want to take the study of languages. There are plenty of doctors who have other interests (though admittedly not ALL the time in the world to pursue said interests) and there are plenty of linguists with an interest in science/ health.
    Talk it over with a Connexions person or head of 6th form/ college if you can't decide on your own.

ReputationRep:
    I'd apply for languages if I were you, you do seem more keen on them. So long as you had AAA from your A levels, preferably with an A in chemistry and probably bio (since they're the ones that get asked for), there's no reason you couldn't apply for post grad medicine if at the end of a language course you decided that it was what you wanted to do.

You do need to remember though that it's not essential to love every piece of medicine work experience you do. I worked in a care home for 2 years, can't say it was my best work experience (although that may have had something to do with the crappy pay and lack of breaks on a 6-8 hour shift). I know it's hard to get any, but if you're still wondering about medicine you could try and get some hospital work experience, as there's so much more to medicine than just primary care.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the languages. Definitely seems to me that's where your heart is. I had to make a similar decision but academically it didn't really turn out as an option to follow languages in the end and I regret that, I wish i'd known sooner and been able to change it.

Languages are always something you can do on the side but probably not alongside something such as medicine.

I know when I was looking into courses, I noticed Birmingham have a Chemistry with Languages degree etc. there are options if you don't want to close science off particularly, but in terms of medicine you need to be 100% and I don't think you are (as a first impression).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    This is all a bit :facepalm2:. As someone else nicely put it, it all seems a bit 'I love languages. Oh, but medicine seems all right, should I do that instead?'. There's no point going for medicine when your heart is in something else. But if you do decide to go for medicine, remember you can join a language soc at university. I did French A Level and although I'm at med school I still have time to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahcar)
    Well if you're smart enough to be doing all 3 and a language then you should be doing rocket science mate :p: I'm good at languages and would epically fail at biology (in fact I did epically fail, although managed to get a c :p:) chemistry and physics.

You should do languages though because you have a clear passion for them, and plus it's not as competitive as medicine and easier to get into....
    Thanks for the advice ^_^

I see you're doing french and spanish at uni. How're you finding it? And how much work would you say it is?

I'm getting some more medical experience at the end of term so I'll see how that goes and probably decide during christmas holidays what I want to do with my life.

And yeah I know it seems like I'm saying I love languages, oh but should I do medicine? etc. etc. but I'm just trying to make sure that I make the right decision. Originally I wasn't even going to take languages at A level, I swapped from English lit to French last minute, and it's only recently that I've started having doubts. Even if I decide I'm not going to do medicine I still don't know whether I should then apply for a science degree or a language degree, because like somebody said it's always possible to keep languages going as a hobby and I'd say I probably enjoy sciences almost as much as languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffeo)
    Thanks for the advice ^_^

I see you're doing french and spanish at uni. How're you finding it? And how much work would you say it is?

I'm getting some more medical experience at the end of term so I'll see how that goes and probably decide during christmas holidays what I want to do with my life.

And yeah I know it seems like I'm saying I love languages, oh but should I do medicine? etc. etc. but I'm just trying to make sure that I make the right decision. Originally I wasn't even going to take languages at A level, I swapped from English lit to French last minute, and it's only recently that I've started having doubts. Even if I decide I'm not going to do medicine I still don't know whether I should then apply for a science degree or a language degree, because like somebody said it's always possible to keep languages going as a hobby and I'd say I probably enjoy sciences almost as much as languages.

I absolutely love my course! Completely in my element, although as I said before, languages has always been my passion and pretty much the only thing I excel at :p:
    I was the same as you, I couldn't decide between psychology and languages, but I realised psychology wasn't for me when I was getting c's and d's in psychology tests, and getting all a's and b's in french tests. I realised that as much as I loved psychology as a subject, I would actually get somewhere with french! I don't know why I changed my mind in the first place, I had always wanted to do languages at uni then all of a sudden one day I thought 'hmmm what about psychology' lmao!
    My advice to you would be, research both courses in great detail, see what all your modules would be and all that, and also if possible get some work experience in both fields. Do you know what you'd want to do if you did a language degree??
    Also, if you did choose a language course, it'd be next to useless doing just one language if you wanted to teach, because a teacher with 2 languages under their belt is much more saught after than a teacher who can only teach one language if you know what I mean?
    I want to be a teacher, and I took introductory spanish too because it's almost impossible to be hired with one language. I did spanish til GCSE but you needed it to A-Level to do it at a high level.
    Could you handle doing two languages?

Sorry, in rant mode :p::o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahcar)
    I absolutely love my course! Completely in my element, although as I said before, languages has always been my passion and pretty much the only thing I excel at :p:
    I was the same as you, I couldn't decide between psychology and languages, but I realised psychology wasn't for me when I was getting c's and d's in psychology tests, and getting all a's and b's in french tests. I realised that as much as I loved psychology as a subject, I would actually get somewhere with french! I don't know why I changed my mind in the first place, I had always wanted to do languages at uni then all of a sudden one day I thought 'hmmm what about psychology' lmao!
    My advice to you would be, research both courses in great detail, see what all your modules would be and all that, and also if possible get some work experience in both fields. Do you know what you'd want to do if you did a language degree??
    Also, if you did choose a language course, it'd be next to useless doing just one language if you wanted to teach, because a teacher with 2 languages under their belt is much more saught after than a teacher who can only teach one language if you know what I mean?
    I want to be a teacher, and I took introductory spanish too because it's almost impossible to be hired with one language. I did spanish til GCSE but you needed it to A-Level to do it at a high level.
    Could you handle doing two languages?

Sorry, in rant mode :p::o:
    If I did languages I was also thinking of being a language teacher XD And I completely agree about the whole needing more than one language to teach. If I decide to go for languages then I plan on sitting the Spanish AS at the end of this year and then taking it up for A level in school next year, so that I could do french and spanish at uni.

At the moment I think I'm going to go for a language degree, because I was researching graduate medical courses and so far I've found that Cambridge and Leicester will take graduates from any discipline, so doing a language degree still keeps my options open

Before you applied to study languages did you get any work experience? Cos I'm trying to think of where I could go to get work experience in languages but I can't think of anywhere :/

Thanks for all your help so far, you've given some really useful advice ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffeo)
    If I did languages I was also thinking of being a language teacher XD And I completely agree about the whole needing more than one language to teach. If I decide to go for languages then I plan on sitting the Spanish AS at the end of this year and then taking it up for A level in school next year, so that I could do french and spanish at uni.

At the moment I think I'm going to go for a language degree, because I was researching graduate medical courses and so far I've found that Cambridge and Leicester will take graduates from any discipline, so doing a language degree still keeps my options open

Before you applied to study languages did you get any work experience? Cos I'm trying to think of where I could go to get work experience in languages but I can't think of anywhere :/

Thanks for all your help so far, you've given some really useful advice ^_^

I did work experience at a primary school, but it didn't really have anything to do with languages :/ but it is what made me sure I wanted to be a teacher! :p: Maybe you could try and get some work experience in a highschool nearby for a junior french class? I know a couple of people who did that.

ReputationRep:
    This is quite funny because I had the same dilemma as you!

I was geared towards medicine all the way through my lower sixth doing all sorts of work experience, reading medical books, basically equipping myself with alll medical-related things.

However, I was actually a fanatic lover of languages and deep down I've always thought to myself, maybe I could do French at uni. (I did french maths biology chemistry and history for AS.) I've also started learning Japanese two years ago and am absolutely loving it! But then, during my biology lessons when we learnt about genes I was really passionate about it as well.

Over this summer I did more work experience in a hospital and actually took the UKCAT, but then when I got back to school in September and after my first French A2 lesson, I realised that languages are really the thing I want most. And so I've now changed and applied to do Linguistics. I've got offers too so it shows that as long as it is something that you really love, it is never too late to change. ( I chose Linguistics in the end because it's a combination of arts and sciences, and also I love both French and Japanese so much that I couldn't choose between the two for my uni course.)

What really changed my mind was the work experience that I did over the summer. I witnessed a man having a heart attack (it was so horrible that I still can't really bring myself to talk about it.) and after that I just thought, maybe the stress that doctors have to cope with is just too much for me. And I realised that there are more than one way to help people; being a doctor isn't the only one.

Some people may think that is just because I don't have the courage to overcome the fear and the stress of medical life. But sometimes I just think, is it really necessary to put yourself in so much stress when life is so short? If I really wanted to do medicine later on, I can still apply to post-grad courses. The main thing is, choose the one that you know you would always have the passion and motivation to drive you forwards. For me, seeing so many patients dying every day and not being able to save them would be an absolute torture for me, and I know this would become a great barrier sooner or later if I do end up at medical school.

This is just my personal experience and I hope it has helped you a bit.
    You never know, I may end up becoming a doctor one day! But for the moment, I do not regret choosing Linguistics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.