Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPhone 4 And Multi-tasking And Battery Life Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://whenwillapple.com/blog/2010/0...plained-again/

regarding this article...

i always close my apps that are there in the background because in fear of slowdown and processing speed and battery life, im not a stingy person or anything, but id rather save battery during the day, uni has wifi so im always on ma iphone doing things, so i use up alot of battery.

but this article says the opened programs are not affecting the battery at all, is this true?...can anyone confirm?...and if not enough ram is applied, the operating system will automatically 'kil of' the least used app of the current time??...

ReputationRep:
    It used to kill the battery a lot on my 3GS personally but I'm not sure about the iPhone 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    http://whenwillapple.com/blog/2010/0...plained-again/

regarding this article...

i always close my apps that are there in the background because in fear of slowdown and processing speed and battery life, im not a stingy person or anything, but id rather save battery during the day, uni has wifi so im always on ma iphone doing things, so i use up alot of battery.

but this article says the opened programs are not affecting the battery at all, is this true?...can anyone confirm?...and if not enough ram is applied, the operating system will automatically 'kil of' the least used app of the current time??...
    It doesn't say this, it says "keeps battery usage close to zero". Hence it will use battery life, but not a large amount. The best way to see if this affects you is probably just to not bother closing backgrounded apps for a day or so, see how things go.
    In order to suspend an app, the state must be stored somewhere (in memory). If memory runs out, something needs to go. Hence the least used app is the logical choice. I'm not sure what the question is here.
    Note this is only for suspended apps. Apps still running in the background (skype/ pandora if you're talking/listening to music) will definately continue to use battery.

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying how I automatically assumes that you are wanting to multi-task when you close an app with the home button. I always shut down apps the long way as well.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't affect it tbh. For the first 2-3 weeks my battery life was horrendous - 1-2 charges a day. It's now probably 3 times as good. It needs some wearing in apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    It's annoying how I automatically assumes that you are wanting to multi-task when you close an app with the home button. I always shut down apps the long way as well.
    why. its not proper multi-tasking so it barely has any effect on your battery life at all. it's basically assuming you want your life to be made easy. how on earth is that annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    why. its not proper multi-tasking so it barely has any effect on your battery life at all. it's basically assuming you want your life to be made easy. how on earth is that annoying.
    When things get cluttered up and I only want a few selection of multi-tasking it becomes a nuisance.

ReputationRep:
    there should be an option to chose how many you want in one time. i would think 4-5 is a good amount.

but what i wanna clarify is does it waste huge amounts of battery life or not?...geting mixed messages here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    there should be an option to chose how many you want in one time. i would think 4-5 is a good amount.

but what i wanna clarify is does it waste huge amounts of battery life or not?...geting mixed messages here...
    Short answer: no it does not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.