The Student Room Group

hello sexxxiii wanna hook up 2nite??? ;) - the demise of gentlemen

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
x

While I can sympathise I think you're naive if you think that guys aren't hoping for sex at some point before marriage in this day and age. No shame in wanting to be treated right but you'll have to make it clear to the guys too how you expect them to be around you

EDIT: Haha, what was that neg for?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by RoshniDiya
I would absolutely love to be with a gentleman. In fact, i'm holding out for a gentleman. I don't care if i spend years alone before i meet one!

You tell’um girl. If that’s what you want then hang in there. If you never meet someone to you liking, then so be it. You can always join book clubs and play the lottery without having to listen to him bitch about how you piss away money. Good for you.
I agree, chivalry is no more :emo:
folk

EDIT: have met most of these types of men after work or walking around in my lunch hour so i have been wearing marks and spencer business suits (skirts all below the knee length, with black tights and no revealing splits) with pearl necklaces, and hair in a bun. i also carry myself in a classy way and work in tax so do not come across in a disgusting way. also these guys are also not chavs, they seem classy intelligent and educated, most have MBA or LLM and wear suits, and speak properly. it is only after the inital approach they try to go all 'street'on me

those pearl necklaces must be giving them the wrong idea
Reply 104
What on earth...?

Ok listen ladies. The demise of gentlemen? How about the demise of gentlewomen? Honestly, do you really think there are no gentlemen around? :hmmm:
Reply 105
Man just wanna get on that 'ting.
Reply 106
you would think so wouldnt you? but let me assure you, i have met most of these types of men after work or walking around in my lunch hour. i have been wearing marks and spencer business suits (skirts all below the knee length, with black tights and no revealing splits) with pearl necklaces, and hair in a bun. so im pretty shocked that dude after dude wants to refer to me as sexxii ;-))i also carry myself in a classy way and work as a tax advisor. so i dont get it.

Good grief woman! So you keep on saying!!!! You know-living in Saudi Arabia, I've seen women who dress a lot more modestly than that, from head to toe and even they still get hit on my random men!!! Apparently, its all to do with how much is left to the imagination. But anyway-you going on about how you carry yourself in a 'classy' way-what does that even mean?! Just carry yourself naturally for pity's sake!
Reply 107
Original post by 8086
What on earth...?

Ok listen ladies. The demise of gentlemen? How about the demise of gentlewomen? Honestly, do you really think there are no gentlemen around? :hmmm:

Exactly!!!!
Original post by Bella Occhi
I agree, chivalry is no more :emo:

Which is good, because according to chivalrous behaviour, unless you were a noblewoman it was fair game to rape you and slit your throat as long as you sought absolution afterwards. I think what you really hanker after was not chivalry, but the overly complex manners of Georgian gentle society as portrayed by Austen, which were also a pretty thin veneer of respectability. I'm often amused by women who express these sought of comments - what exactly are you looking for? A man that holds doors open for you and buys you dinner but also treats you as an empowered and independent member of society? Bit of a tall order to be honest.

A store that sells husbands has recently opened in New York.
The store has become very popular, but there are a few simple rules:
Women may only enter the store ONCE to make a purchase. There are 6 floors, and the attributes of the men for sale on each floor are detailed outside. Although you can choose a man from any floor, once you have entered a particular floor you must make a purchase there. You cannot go back down, except when you exit the building.
So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a lifelong partner. On the first floor the sign outside reads: 'Floor 1 - These men have jobs and love the Lord'. She moves on up.
On the next floor the sign reads: 'Floor 2 - These men have jobs, love the Lord and love kids'. She keeps going.
The sign outside the third floor reads: 'Floor 3 - These men have jobs, love the Lord, love kids and are extremely good-looking'. Still she moves on up.
Next she sees the sign: 'Floor 4 - These men have jobs, love the Lord, love kids, are extremely good-looking and help with the housework'. Excited now, again she proceeds to the next floor.
The sign outside the fifth floor reads: 'Floor 5 - These men have jobs, love the Lord, love kids, are extremely good-looking, help with the housework, and have a strong romantic streak'. Although tempted to make her purchase from this floor, she can't wait to see what's available on the sixth.

Reaching for the door-handle to enter the floor area, she notices the sign outside. 'Floor 6 - You are visitor number 4,634,289 to this floor. There are no men on this floor. This floor exists simply to prove that women are impossible to please'.
Reply 109
Original post by ChemistBoy
Which is good, because according to chivalrous behaviour, unless you were a noblewoman it was fair game to rape you and slit your throat as long as you sought absolution afterwards. I think what you really hanker after was not chivalry, but the overly complex manners of Georgian gentle society as portrayed by Austen, which were also a pretty thin veneer of respectability. I'm often amused by women who express these sought of comments - what exactly are you looking for? A man that holds doors open for you and buys you dinner but also treats you as an empowered and independent member of society? Bit of a tall order to be honest.

Haha, this is somewhat true - chivalry comes from an era where women were divided into Ladies that were no more than an object to write insipid poetry to but never to touch, and everyone else who was fair game for rape and throat slittings.

Unfortunately, a lot of men don't see women as empowered and independent members of society, and the dinner buying and door holding is seen as some compensation... But this is also because the women expecting the door holding and dinner buying aren't seeing themselves as independent and empowered.

The closest I came to getting both was the man I was last seeing - he certainly saw me as incredibly empowered and independent. But he also bought me dinner and held the door for me. I think this was weighed out in his mind by the privilege of sometimes telling me to get in his room and take all my clothes off though :tongue:

But hell, if I was shopping for a bloke and every bloody floor had them defining themselves by their job and loving the lord, I'd keep on moving up too! (Or jump out one of the windows and pick a fellow up in a cafe instead).
Original post by Arcanine
Troll has been successful.

shinytoy usually is
Original post by goewyn

The closest I came to getting both was the man I was last seeing - he certainly saw me as incredibly empowered and independent. But he also bought me dinner and held the door for me. I think this was weighed out in his mind by the privilege of sometimes telling me to get in his room and take all my clothes off though :tongue:

Glad to see it wasn't all one-way traffic...:wink:

I hold the door open for everyone, it isn't chivalrous, just polite. As for buying dinner, I'm of the view that if you ask someone to dinner, you should pay for them too.
im appalled at the lack of gentlemenliness in todays society.

Yea that's just the way it is. It's hard to see how social norms get moved and changed but there's always a lot of momentum behind them. I'm in my mid 20's now but didn't really start meeting girls until a couple of years ago, and at first they used to get really upset and offended because I moved too slowly. Like, not having tried to kiss them after a couple of weeks - several girls round here properly hate me now because of that sort of thing, thinking I was ****ing around with them or something.

I wasn't acting like that consciously or because I thought it was gentlemanly, I was just a social retard and didn't realise how people normally do things. But most women don't like it. They want to get felt up on the first date and take a big load of jizz in their mouth on the second. Or else they feel unwanted and useless, I guess. And they'd have nothing to moan about, as well - chicks love moaning about being "pressured" into stuff.

So it's a tricky one. Anyone who bucks the current trend will find themselves quite out of luck, so people go along with it and then it become normalised and moves further on, and so forth.
Wow my bf doesn't speak to me in retarded English.

Neither do ANY of my male friends, and I have many. I think guys write like that because they must assume that they should, or they grew up doing so.
Reply 114
I still consider myself a gentleman :smile:
Always refer to a women as ms unless corrected otherwise
Hold the door open etc
remove my cap if speaking to one

INFURIATINGLY i was called sexist when I held the door open for a woman. GET A GRIP
Reply 115
Original post by spepe
I still consider myself a gentleman :smile:
Always refer to a women as ms unless corrected otherwise
Hold the door open etc
remove my cap if speaking to one

INFURIATINGLY i was called sexist when I held the door open for a woman. GET A GRIP

Probably some uber-feminist b****
Reply 116
folk

im a classy gal, all my skirts are below knee length and im always fairly covered, never drunk (teetotal) and virginal. however, this is the third time i have met a dude in a party/bookstore/trainstation and had an intelligent conversation which resulted in him inviting me for dinner.

on all occasions, the dude texts me something like 'hi sexxiii whatcha doin??wanna hang tom nite lolzz? meet 4 dinna yea?? ;-)) xox'. since when does a gentleman ask a lady if she 'wana hang'? since when do you address a classy lady as 'sexxiiii!!!;-))'

another thing i have noticed is dudes are so accustomed to loose moralled gals that they expect some sort of relations on the first date. now i dont usually kiss a dude on the first couple dates, i prefer to know the person well. but some of these guys are so used to gals giving head on date 1 or 2 they come to expect it and if you dont offer it they think you dont like them.

also, even BEFORE the first date, i have had dudes trying to feel out if they will get any action to see if it is a waste of time or not. they text stff like 'lookin fwd 2 c u 2nite, u real hott bin thinkin bout u in my arms all day sexxii ;-)). if i greet u with a long slow kiss is that ok or watt??' being a classy lady, no way am i gonna snog a dude i barely know.

but most dudes think if you spot a good looking dude and he sees a hot girl, you dont need to know each other you should just start shagging since you already like the look of each other. and many gals are that way in this day and age, so alot of guys come to expect that from a gal. and when the gal is a classy lady who dresses modestly and doesnt snog random dudes or offer sex for the price of a dinner in Pizza Express, they dont know how to react and either think you dont like them or are gold-digging.

anyone else notice this? what do you do? are there any gentlemen left or only a bunch of wannabe pimps and PUAs?

EDIT: have met most of these types of men after work or walking around in my lunch hour so i have been wearing marks and spencer business suits (skirts all below the knee length, with black tights and no revealing splits) with pearl necklaces, and hair in a bun. i also carry myself in a classy way and work in tax so do not come across in a disgusting way. also these guys are also not chavs, they seem classy intelligent and educated, most have MBA or LLM and wear suits, and speak properly. it is only after the inital approach they try to go all 'street'on me

if i didnt kiss a girl by the second date i declare it dead.

In fact if we didnt kiss on the first date i would have to think she is VERY interesting and different or i would either be very desperate or there would have to be some kind of reason. otherwise i would just declare it dead.

but yea women dont like gentlemen anymore. so you're to blame.

but it sounds like you're a bit small minded. you seem to think that because men dress "classy" and not like a "chav" that one is going to treat you better than the other.

what you seem to be talking about is that you're upset because the men you're looking at are not turning out to have a personality that matches they're looks.

but from the sounds of it since you're talking about the way you look. if i looked at you wearing what you described id think.

1. you have no imagination
2. think your intelligent and try to patronise people
3. a snob
4. try to dress like your mum
5. your mum is cheating on your dad and is a MILF

due to this i'd think you were pointless to talk to for any interesting conversation because id assume that although you are smart you lack any creative ability and thus derive most of your intellectual opinions from the guardian.

i'd assume that because the way you dress is so lacking in adventure and fun id assume you were a closet freak into anal and allsorts

on top of that you're possible middleclass ****ed up mommy and daddy are too busy to show me love kind of up-bringing would just enforce the whole closet freak into anal and allsorts stereotype.

i'd also assume you're a cold heartless thatcherite and not worth investing genuine tenderness, emotion or care.

to cut it short i cant blame most guys for wanting to get in and out of there as soon as possible. not my style personally as i would think my time would be better spent trying to get with a girl i actully DO care about.

but hey sometimes guys just need physical validation that they "still got it"

maybe because of how you dress attracts those certain guys or maybe you only give “classy guys” a chance and shun everyone else?
Reply 117
folk

im a classy gal, all my skirts are below knee length and im always fairly covered, never drunk (teetotal) and virginal. however, this is the third time i have met a dude in a party/bookstore/trainstation and had an intelligent conversation which resulted in him inviting me for dinner.

on all occasions, the dude texts me something like 'hi sexxiii whatcha doin??wanna hang tom nite lolzz? meet 4 dinna yea?? ;-)) xox'. since when does a gentleman ask a lady if she 'wana hang'? since when do you address a classy lady as 'sexxiiii!!!;-))'

another thing i have noticed is dudes are so accustomed to loose moralled gals that they expect some sort of relations on the first date. now i dont usually kiss a dude on the first couple dates, i prefer to know the person well. but some of these guys are so used to gals giving head on date 1 or 2 they come to expect it and if you dont offer it they think you dont like them.

also, even BEFORE the first date, i have had dudes trying to feel out if they will get any action to see if it is a waste of time or not. they text stff like 'lookin fwd 2 c u 2nite, u real hott bin thinkin bout u in my arms all day sexxii ;-)). if i greet u with a long slow kiss is that ok or watt??' being a classy lady, no way am i gonna snog a dude i barely know.

but most dudes think if you spot a good looking dude and he sees a hot girl, you dont need to know each other you should just start shagging since you already like the look of each other. and many gals are that way in this day and age, so alot of guys come to expect that from a gal. and when the gal is a classy lady who dresses modestly and doesnt snog random dudes or offer sex for the price of a dinner in Pizza Express, they dont know how to react and either think you dont like them or are gold-digging.

anyone else notice this? what do you do? are there any gentlemen left or only a bunch of wannabe pimps and PUAs?

There is no such thing as a classy lady or a classy gentlmen, there is only insecure or secure gentlmen/lady. Sadly most females are heavily insecure.. the countless amounts of times ive seen that marilyn monroe quote about "OH HI IM INSECURE BUT IF U CANT LOVE ME AT MY WORST U DEFINATELY DONT DESERVE ME AT MY BEST" in girls facebook profiles is mind boggling. Its only natural for them to be easy prey for the predators out their.

I think its admirable that your trying to hold onto old values, but times change, call it modernization / evolution whatever, however its all happening for a reason, you need to learn to let go and go with the flow, or your no different to the amish.
Maybe they think you're boring and desperate and would therefore appreciate being 'chatted up' like that. And LOL at how you keep banging on about how classy you are and how you only wear knee length skirts :lolwut: How is that even relevant you idiot. Oh and if you are such a mature, classy 25 year old, why the HELL do you KEEP SAYING DUDE FFS.
Reading "dudes" and "gals" repeatedly was very irritating, and didn't support your claim of being classy. So for that reason, I am out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending