Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am trying to improve my vocabulary and would like to know if anyone has any tips or methods as how I should come about doing this. I know that reading the dictionary is the most obvious thing to do, BUT it is not very efficient on finding words that I will actually use on a day to day basis.

If anyone has any input on this topic I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Well reading extensivly helps. If you read different genres of books too. If you read newspapers you'll get the colloquial words and some more formal ones too. Mainly diverse reading though.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I completely overlooked those options. Thank you! I guess I'm going to start reading more often throughout my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    Watching English films/tv would also help. You can watch it in English with subtitles so you always know what everything means. And it's fun

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see. Do you have any movies that you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Well my German homework is to watch a German film every week, so up until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out I've been watching all of the Harry Potter films :P

Or you could choose to follow a TV series. You can find the links online if you search on some websites.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that works. Thank you! I actually love the Harry Potter movies. I havn't seen the newest one yet though :/.

ReputationRep:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday

ReputationRep:
    oh wow.. i didn't know that site had that feature! Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.