Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!
    Firstly I would like to thank you first for taking the time to read this message! I know you probably have a lot to do.
    Tomorrow I have an English coursework assignment to do during school time that's worth ten percent of my GCSE.
    This is my first ever real coursework and it's scaring me alot. I've always got excellent grades for English, but that's because i always took my time. Now i only have two hours!
    The question we have to write about is 'how do speakers adapt language to suit different audiences'.
    I have written two transcripts, one, an interview between two teachers and one between two gangsters.
    I am planning on writing about:
    -relaxed, laid back feel during informal conversation vs less natural, highly involved conversation between two teachers
    -slang terms and phrases, colloquialism and elision vs highly formal standard english and gramattical correctness
    -many pauses vs few pauses and many fillers during which the speaker is trying to the think about what she is saying
    -very spontaneous conversation and various topics vs structured conversation on a single topic
    -playful irony and routines present in informal between friends but very little personal contact in formal conversation.

Are there any other things you might add to this list?
    Thank you very much for your time,
    Totallydude **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totallydude)
    Hello all!
    Firstly I would like to thank you first for taking the time to read this message! I know you probably have a lot to do.
    Tomorrow I have an English coursework assignment to do during school time that's worth ten percent of my GCSE.
    This is my first ever real coursework and it's scaring me alot. I've always got excellent grades for English, but that's because i always took my time. Now i only have two hours!
    The question we have to write about is 'how do speakers adapt language to suit different audiences'.
    I have written two transcripts, one, an interview between two teachers and one between two gangsters.
    I am planning on writing about:
    -relaxed, laid back feel during informal conversation vs less natural, highly involved conversation between two teachers
    -slang terms and phrases, colloquialism and elision vs highly formal standard english and gramattical correctness
    -many pauses vs few pauses and many fillers during which the speaker is trying to the think about what she is saying
    -very spontaneous conversation and various topics vs structured conversation on a single topic
    -playful irony and routines present in informal between friends but very little personal contact in formal conversation.

Are there any other things you might add to this list?
    Thank you very much for your time,
    Totallydude **
    Have you ever filled in one of them surveys on your learning style? people have a visual, auditory or kinsethetic (can't spell that word) learning style. Anthony Robbins, a self-help guru, tailors the way he talks based on people's learning styles. He says that he can usually work out what people's learning styles are by listening to them talk, for example, if someone uses terms like 'I can see what you mean' or 'can you picture that?' they've probaby got a visual learning style. If you start talking to them in the same sort of language, they tend to listen more-that's the idea anyway.

Tonality is another thing I've heard self-help speakers discuss.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.