Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in year 9 and have to choose my options for year 10 & 11. I'm not really sure what job I would like to have so I'm panicking as to whether I have chosen the right options.

So, the compulsory subjects at my school are;
    -English
    -Maths
    -Science
    -ICT
    -RE

I was thinking of taking;
    -Music
    -Geography
    -French OR -Travel&Tourism

At my school I am only aloud 3 extra options as they have chosen me to take triple science which is counted as an option.
    I definitely want to take music as I am working on my grade 8 Piano and was thinking of a career in music. I plan to work hard on Geography as opposed to History which totally confuses me. As for French, I realise that it is good to take a language, but the thing is its quite confusing but I know will also be helpful later on. I'm not sure what I would do with Travel&Tourism but my parents think that maybe if I decide to have a career in that business, I will be able to get into all sorts of good jobs. So the problem is, should I take a French or Travel&Tourism? Or, should I scrap Geography and do French AND Travel&Tourism? Maybe I should consider some other options?
    Also, apparently only two of these are studied in yr10 and then the other one for yr11... why?

Please help! I am grateful for any of your thoughts&opinions on this.

Thankyou!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well atm im in year 13 and travel and tourism is not respected at all, especially by universities. It is seen as a 'mickey mouse' subject which is piss easy so if you want an easy grade take it but french or any language is very respected, especially by employers so i would suggest French!!

ReputationRep:
    dont do t&t! do french!
    that with geog and music is a nice wide range of things, dw too much about alevels and jobs yet!

ReputationRep:
    I would probably go for French as it means you have the option to do French A level, which is probably more respected than most level 3 travel and tourism qualifications.
    GCSE travel and tourism won't make much difference in the job market, they're unlikely to look at GCSE grades, let alone subject choices.
    Either way, don't stress too much, you won't be a great deal worse off whichever you choose.

ReputationRep:
    I think that a music-geography-french combo would give you a great all round set of gcses. Travel and tourism isn't respected so I'd avoid that one. French would be useful for business plus it's a really interesting subject in both language and culture.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh GCSEs count for little when it comes to "respectability" for unis. Do what you want, don't listen to those saying T&T is rubbish, if you want to do it then do it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys you've been really helpful xx

ReputationRep:
    I took french-it's hard but it looks good on applications. I also took geography and i'd say that geography and travel and tourism are quite similar so i wouldnt take both, but ultimately take whatever you enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Travel and tourism is rubbish. Stick to Geography and French.
    Music is also good.

ReputationRep:
    Music is so boring at GCSE, it doesn't really matter if you're good at playing an instrument, that counted for about 20% of my grade :/ it's mostly theory and writing music for coursework but that was terrible too - you're not really allowed to be original and stuff D: Or maybe that was just my teachers..

ReputationRep:
    I think you should to Geography, not T&T. Geography is still related but seen as much more academic and less specific leaving you much more flexible. Definitely don't scrap Geography. French is a great choice as if you ever did decide to get into a business, links with language can help - and, once again, it's much more academic leaving you flexible and to an extent, more desirable to unis/employers/colleges.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Do French. End of story You won't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definately take french , it may seem hard at first but it's an enjoyable subject once you get you're head round it and it's also respected by employers

ReputationRep:
    Take French.

ReputationRep:
    awww cute little year 9 kid run around with your huge bags hehe

ReputationRep:
    it's really up to you but I would choose French.
    If you wanted to do Travel & Tourism later on you could take it without the GCSE I would assume, so French would probably be a better choice (although I suppose I am slightly biased )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    awww cute little year 9 kid run around with your huge bags hehe
    Hehehe I'm far from cute x

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I am currently in year 11 choosing my A level options, which believe me, is a lot harder than choosing GCSEs. I noticed your choices are quite similiar to mine, so here are my thoughts...

At my school a language was compulsory plus three other options. Personally I chose French, German, Geography and Music, along with the compulsories of maths, english and triple science. In my opinion, French is definitely the best option that you've suggested here, since I've heard universities highly value languages, and it also gives you a great life skill if you go abroad, so it is understandable why the school made it compulsory. If you are good at French, I'd say go for it - I did a 1 year GCSE course and got an A* at the end of yr 10, and it's given me more time to revise for other subjects this year.

Geography is a good subject to do if you're interested in the subject, and I found it very interesting. You also get to go on many trips which is an added bonus . However, the downfall of geography is that there is tonnes of coursework, which I am currently still working on. I don't know how this compares to A level, which is why I'm pondering continuing it, but if you don't like lots of writing (like me), you will not be too keen on the c/w. I believe it to be a fairly well valued subject though, and if you can nail the coursework, great.

I see you obviously have a great passion for music, so it's definitely a good option if you are good at it. I am grade 7 piano and doing GCSE Music, and I'm one of the top in the class (not being cocky ). So grade 8 piano is amazing! - congrats on that. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a high grade for that one, although the GCSE does involve composing and listening skills too.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with travel and tourism as I wasn't even aware it was a subject, although we did cover the topic of tourism in geography and did a module on it.

The main thing is don't worry about it! I only recently realised how insignificant GCSEs are compared to A levels (don't get me wrong, they're still important) and it doesn't really matter what the subjects are, I think it's mainly the grades the universities look at, but remember not to write off things you might want to pursue and do for A level as some you can't take without a GCSE. So my advice to you is that you pick things you enjoy and think you might want to pursue in the future, such as music, just do well in whatever you choose and you should be off in the right track

Hope this helps, good luck!

P.S. Wow just realised how long that was haha

ReputationRep:
    -Music
    -Geography
    -French

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.