Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so my first choice has asked me to come for an interview woop!

Now I was looking through what will happen during the interview and I don't see any major problems, granted it will take a lot of hard work to prepare for, but I knew that before I applied. However, whilst looking through the interview details one thing struck me, and I would really appreciate any advice or confirmation from those who have previously been for PGCE interviews. The thing is;

"Observe appropriate dress code for a professional interview"

I assume this means a suit and tie job? Or would smart trousers, shoes and shirt suffice?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm making the assumption that yiou are male from the name and the suit and tie suggestion. From the detail i would say yes to a suit and tie combo - the males at my interview did this. Better to dress too smart than too casual i would say!

Oh, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeW975)
    Ok, so my first choice has asked me to come for an interview woop!

Now I was looking through what will happen during the interview and I don't see any major problems, granted it will take a lot of hard work to prepare for, but I knew that before I applied. However, whilst looking through the interview details one thing struck me, and I would really appreciate any advice or confirmation from those who have previously been for PGCE interviews. The thing is;

"Observe appropriate dress code for a professional interview"

I assume this means a suit and tie job? Or would smart trousers, shoes and shirt suffice?

Thanks
    i'd say either, in my interviews i've seen both. whatever your comfortable in i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lissshannon)
    i'd say either, in my interviews i've seen both. whatever your comfortable in i guess
    There was a variety in what the guys wore at my interview. One guy was in jeans and a nice jumper and some were in suits. I'd always say to dress smarter to make a good impression, especially if they have made a point of saying how you should dress. Suit and tie definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmap87)
    There was a variety in what the guys wore at my interview. One guy was in jeans and a nice jumper and some were in suits. I'd always say to dress smarter to make a good impression, especially if they have made a point of saying how you should dress. Suit and tie definitely.
    sorry, i wasn't implying like 'oh go in jeans and a hoodie youll be fine' if thats what it came across as i was refering to the tie/no tie

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, probably going to go with the suit option. Might as well go well dressed for it

ReputationRep:
    it's easier to dress down when you're there than dress up. Go with full suit and tie, and if everyone else seems casual, you can whip your tie and jacket off before you go in.

ReputationRep:
    My role is you can never overdress but you can easily underdress for an interview!

I also try and go suit to anything work related these days.

ReputationRep:
    The information I have received for my interview has not mentioned a dress-code, and there is no way that I would wear a suit anyway (I do not own one for a start) so it is casual/smart casual for me!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.