The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Financial support rejected

Hey,

Had a letter today telling me that i am not able to claim financial support for my 60 point modules, i don't understand why although i was previously at another university and received a student loan for 4 years but i did not complete my degree, could this be why? anyone with any advice?
Original post by kerrykerry
Hey,

Had a letter today telling me that i am not able to claim financial support for my 60 point modules, i don't understand why although i was previously at another university and received a student loan for 4 years but i did not complete my degree, could this be why? anyone with any advice?

Really sorry to hear this: it's a bit crap that they didn't give you a reason in the letter isn't it? If I were you, I'd ring the OU for clarification. It may be that they're tightening the criteria for financial support, but I haven't heard anything about this recently. Good luck - I hope you can get some answers.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by kerrykerry
Hey,

There should be a reason given for this. What was stated in your letter?
I'm pretty sure that if you have recieved funding from the student loans company in the past for another degree you can't recieve OU funding. I think it is because the funding for the OU still comes from SLC.
Reply 4
I've received student finance before but didn't graduate. I had three years of full time funding and one year of part time.

However, I have received funding for my OU course...

I was told it was fine as long as I hadn't graduated.

I would contact them and ask why you've been refused.
I went to university for one year and had a student loan and havn't paid it back yet but was still awarded financial support for the Open Uni. Contact them maybe?
Me also: I did 2 years at uni and still receive full financial support.
Reply 7
Original post by twinkle.twinkle

Original post by twinkle.twinkle
I'm pretty sure that if you have recieved funding from the student loans company in the past for another degree you can't recieve OU funding. I think it is because the funding for the OU still comes from SLC.

This is wrong. You can receive funding, as long as you are up to date with paying your previous loan back. If you don't earn enough to pay it back yet (ie under £15000) this is fine too.
Reply 8
I thought that four years funding at traditional equals six years funding at the OU. So I've heard the advice here, that to work it the other way around, you can do two OU years and it doesn't affect going to bricks and mortar, but after two years, you're using up your entitlement?

I could be wrong though.
You can only get financial support if you have time to complete the full degree within the timescale; thats 6 years I think.

If you have already done 4, you will only have 2 left, and that isnt enough to do a full degree.

(Im guessing btw, I may be completely wrong in counting the 4 you already did.)
Reply 10
If they haven't stated a reason in the letter phone up - I'm sure someone will be happy to tell you and assist you in getting it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest