Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just remembered i have to write an essay plan for tomorrow, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

"assess the usefulness of consensus theory's for an understanding of crime and deviance" (21 marks)

thanks

ReputationRep:
    How much detail are you looking for? I can give you a rough plan, but the content depends solely on the areas you've been focussing on in your lessons. I didn't do crime and deviance at A Level so the stuff I'm familiar with may be a bit too advanced.

Also, which question (i.e. A, B or C) is this? A 21 marker usually involves a few basic paragraphs getting straight to the point rather than separate supportive/critical paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    just basic stuff really, things like comparing both functionalism and new right, then for some more advanced stuff bring in some conflict theory such as marxism.

any help would be great

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't think I can give you any useful hints for the consensus theory side of things but I may be able to help with the social conflict part. Talk about the ways in which exclusion from wider society, whether it be economic or cultural, forces people to turn to illegitimate methods such as crime for achieving the consensus of goals dictated by society. Those who have been excluded form anti-conformist subcultures which validate this behaviour. Look at the work of Shaw and McKay's explanation of social disorganisation.

Don't include the above if you aren't familiar with it. You could be commended for wider knowledge but it is more than likely that it'll be ignored if it isn't included in your course. Just make sure you start of by explaining what consensus theory is, continue by stating the positives of using consensus theory for understanding crime and deviance, then continue by giving criticisms and finishing with a strong judgement.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot, really big help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.