Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your Protest Strategy Wont Work :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just thought id say after watching the news ( ha ) that your protests aint gonna work peacefully

Please tell me of a protest where peaceful gatherings have resulted in a Financial Change ie The coalition deciding in stopping the process of trebling university fees?

Hasnt worked for the burmese without intervention, hasnt worked for the poor in the middle ages. Only thing I can see is that women gained the vote, but that is a completely different scenario and story

I may be wrong as I dont know my protest history

but in my opinion, yall are NOT going to win this fight unless you are violent and serious. Peacefully walking through the streets isnt serious?

A politician is seriously going to go "Oh no, these students are peacefully protesting by chanting and walking around, lets take them seriously and stop this trebling of fees, even though it will benefit the country financially" I think not!

This is the conservative party-dominant coalition in a recession people, not labour in a economically stable climate

Throughout history, to be taken serious or to influence change, violence and pressure has been used, not peaceful ( in the most part ) protests

In my opinion most politicians will say behind closed doors, if you cannot afford the trebling of university fees then you shouldnt even be pursuing a degree-orientated career if your too lazy to get a job on the side. If you are too lazy and stubborn to pursue high university fees, then get on your bike and get a job. Because years ago there wasnt even help for university fees etc. Yes, you had to pay for it yourself ( yes there are hardlys any, but anyone can make money, it just takes thinking and time. Thus the thousands of moguls in the country )

Why would a politician care about university fees trebbling ( when you can easily afford it if you put your mind to it ) if people are dieing, political tensions, war, drug abuse is going to go up, and poverty is going up

So not to instigate, but if you honestly want change id suggest a different route

the country has alot more to worry about than you students *****ing cos fees are going up

and yes im a college student, but I understand the reality of life, and no, I will not be pursuing university as this country is going to **** anyway. Experience and smart thinking makes you money, not a university degree

and no i dont care if im possibly wrong about my history, my opinion, or my grammar. Its a forum on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, if yall took the time and effort you put into the peaceful protests, into something productive with a money making incentive, youd actually all be that much closer to affording university than another millionth of a cm towards nothing. I wonder how much ink yall wasted on them plackards and signs? Peaceful my arse, doing more damage to the world with that bloody ink yall are using and adding more c02 to the atmosphere burning ****

Oh and costing more money and damage to the country with all the police resources yall wasted

:smh:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11878033

Hey, if you read this article, at the bottom you willl see it says 100 students marched in cardiff or somewhere, and (not necessarily just these 100 students) but it shows that these protests could help in some way. Look at the welsh students, they will now not be affected by the rise.

Im not a student protestor and never will be but i dont think you should rule out all protests for not working

ReputationRep:
    Hello there Emma :], appreciated for the link

Not treating the Welsh harshly, but there mentality and communitys are alot different to ours and there country isnt as ****ed up as ours. Even though theyre a part of the uk, there culture ( not being discriminate ) is alot different and quite independent to the UK. They treat their students and lower generations with respect. If we had respect here, it would of been changed by now. And as the channel 4 news dude said, that guy who came up with the student fee idea said he might obstain or w.e, but more than likely he is still going ahead with it, it was just to save face as some might say.

Youve gotta fight for change, not peacefully protest

oh n p.s. I wasnt ruling out protests, just peaceful ones.

ReputationRep:
    Well think about it...fees arent going up in wales. Thats because nobody goes to Wales...Wales is a place you get sent to you dont go there voluntarilly so they can;t raise prices. Most of the people from Wales come to England anyways lol also why on earth would anyone want to go to a Welsh University when everyone knows that the more money you pay the better education you get.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahaha

dude.... hahahaha

Even though my heritage is Welsh... ahhh :-#

poor ol' charlotte church and her chronies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TedleyBear)
    Hello there Emma :], appreciated for the link

Not treating the Welsh harshly, but there mentality and communitys are alot different to ours and there country isnt as ****ed up as ours. Even though theyre a part of the uk, there culture ( not being discriminate ) is alot different and quite independent to the UK. They treat their students and lower generations with respect. If we had respect here, it would of been changed by now. And as the channel 4 news dude said, that guy who came up with the student fee idea said he might obstain or w.e, but more than likely he is still going ahead with it, it was just to save face as some might say.

Youve gotta fight for change, not peacefully protest

oh n p.s. I wasnt ruling out protests, just peaceful ones.
    ohh sorry i read your initial comment wrong. i agree that peacefull protests wont work because they just wont get the message across. although it is annoying when you hear older people saying to all students that theyre ridiculous and are an embarrasment, but its the only way for us to get our message across!
    sorry again, i read your's completely wrong :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    Well think about it...fees arent going up in wales. Thats because nobody goes to Wales...Wales is a place you get sent to you dont go there voluntarilly so they can;t raise prices. Most of the people from Wales come to England anyways lol also why on earth would anyone want to go to a Welsh University when everyone knows that the more money you pay the better education you get.
    its says welsh students will get low fees (well original, 'normal' fees) whether they go to a welsh uni or go to a UK uni - their welsh assembly gov will meet the extra fees for themm

ReputationRep:
    No problem, its all cool no need to be embarassed haha

oldies no nothing of this day n age unless they were our age in a similar recession, which 90% of the time, they wernt
    ;]

Oh ffs its on channel 4 again n im sure i just saw that peaceful dude who was threatening one of the hoodies ( shounting and pointing in my op. is threatening ) cos he was actually trying to instigate change, even though that stupid idiot who thought he was hard would of got charged with assault if he had even tried to prevent that hoody from doing anything

N shame at the dude who put a thumbs down, come in here and prove me wrong. since i am what you may consider "un-intellectual" or stupid, even though i know more about life and the way things work than you do. I see there is alot of sour, spoilt silver spooned students roaming these forums, or boring people with no argument to be putting thumbs down even though you know im right. Or sad politicians that are roaming these forums

ReputationRep:
    No problem, its all cool no need to be embarassed haha

oldies no nothing of this day n age unless they were our age in a similar recession, which 90% of the time, they wernt
    ;]

Oh ffs its on channel 4 again n im sure i just saw that peaceful dude who was threatening one of the hoodies ( shounting and pointing in my op. is threatening ) cos he was actually trying to instigate change, even though that stupid idiot who thought he was hard would of got charged with assault if he had even tried to prevent that hoody from doing anything

N shame at the dude who put a thumbs down, come in here and prove me wrong. since i am what you may consider "un-intellectual" or stupid, even though i know more about life and the way things work than you do
    Ohh no, your not a channel 4 guy, you should always switch over to channel 3 for westcountry news after hollyoaks has finished! have you been to a protest before? i havnt cos there's none down where i live but tbh if there was, i prob would only actually be peacefull (although i know it wouldnt work) hm...i should man up

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not going to work. Workers' unions have the advantage that if they strike, the economy loses out, work, travel, education and healthcare are disrupted, and the general public are generally affected by it in some way. If students strike and walk out of lectures, with the exception of lecturers feeling demoralised, it's only really those students who immediately lose out.

Protests thus mean very little, as NUS and SUs around the country have little ammunition against the government; they don't really care too much if students lose out on a week of teaching on their own decision, lecturers and staff get a break, and in terms of on-the-street protests, some small amount of walking space gets cornered off by police kettling techniques. In a city like London, it just means people spend an extra 5 minutes walking around the other side of a building.

Becoming violent, breaking the law, burning and breaking things and so forth might be the way forward, but think about it - if somebody comes and bricks your windows, you're hardly likely to suddenly agree with their views. It's a risk really, and both sides of the coalition seem stubborn enough to just carry on with this issue.

Having said this, rallying your local MPs is likely to do a lot of good, as they appear to be more open-minded on this issue so far, and a revolt within the coalition will certainly provide some form of wake-up call, and fingers crossed, there won't be enough votes for the motion to get through parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma9)
    Ohh no, your not a channel 4 guy, you should always switch over to channel 3 for westcountry news after hollyoaks has finished! have you been to a protest before? i havnt cos there's none down where i live but tbh if there was, i prob would only actually be peacefull (although i know it wouldnt work) hm...i should man up
    haha Yes i am! got a problem? :P yee, nothin better than a bit of hollyoaks, dunno what has happenin with Warren earlier. N im just lazy with the tv so if good tv's on i just leave the channel on till the day i decide to change it

nahhh, was one at my old school when i entered year 7 where the headteacher got kicked out, but thats a different type of protest if u get me

dont get me wrong, I have nothing against people standing up for what they believe in ;] its just when arrogant students get on tv n act like theyre doing good when theyre just.... pathetic. no offense intended but yano what i mean

yes you should Emma! get urself a train ticket for cheap and head down to the nearest next one

Agreed in a sense darkwhite, but I dont mean breaking and setting fire to anything, places that are related to these student fees being trebbled ie lib dem headquarters n places like that ie when they stormed that place in london ( might of been the lib dem place but I cant remember personally ) fair enough the fire exstinguisher off of the officer was un-nessecary, but everything else ie storming the building n stuff I thought was a great idea

To enforce change you must have power, and at the moment students have no power. Unless like you said they get the politicians on there side, but where do you find honest politicians these days? Its like tryna find a needle in a haystack, yes its there, but its hard to find.

Yes but not to contradict you, its our mothers and fathers windows ie the country, not the governments. its our taxpayers windows and i dont think taxpayers would mind 2 lieing partys' HQ's getting damaged a bit. Politicians dont contribute **** in terms of wealth, our business' and VAT does that

ReputationRep:
    haha Yes i am! got a problem? :P yee, nothin better than a bit of hollyoaks, dunno what has happenin with Warren earlier. N im just lazy with the tv so if good tv's on i just leave the channel on till the day i decide to change it

nahhh, was one at my old school when i entered year 7 where the headteacher got kicked out, but thats a different type of protest if u get me

dont get me wrong, I have nothing against people standing up for what they believe in ;] its just when arrogant students get on tv n act like theyre doing good when theyre just.... pathetic. no offense intended but yano what i mean

yes you should Emma! get urself a train ticket for cheap and head down to the nearest next one
    Nah not a problem, just it would be if it was something ridiculous like sky news ahaha saying that i get most my daily goss from scott mills soo :P...oh i know, im still trying to get over that steph's dead and i feel bad for gilly (im such a girl) ahaha ok i will befriend every train passenger and get them to come protesting with me ahaha

ReputationRep:
    You're assuming that:

A) There is a single strategy; there isn't
    B) That everyone is campaigning in thd same way.

My trade unions have come out against the Comprehensive Spending Review - & it is under the Trades Union Congress's banner that I'm campaigning under. The impact of that review is that it puts my job at risk. I could find myself being made compulsorily redundant within the next few years. I can either sit back & take it, or, under the umbrellas of my unions I can stand up against them. I've chosen the latter.

The protesting students are also, by definition against that same review - one that will lead to higher top up fees. They've taken a different view in terms of actions & tactics. Trade unions are subject to quite stringent rules regarding campaigning & industrial action. A number of bureaucratic hurdles have to be overcome before industrial action can be taken. Trade unionists cannot set up spontaneous direct actions lest thd central unions get sued & individual union members get dismissed for illegal actions or breach of contract/gross misconduct.

As a "mass movement" different people will inevitably take different actions dependent on both strength of feelings & individual circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Why has Rosa Parks not yet been mentioned in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    OP, you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    OP has effectively said that Martin Luther King and Ghandi achieved nothing. Yeah yeah it's common knowledge them two were useless *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murrayh)
    OP has effectively said that Martin Luther King and Ghandi achieved nothing. Yeah yeah it's common knowledge them two were useless *****.
    Nope your a ignorant tit as you cannot read. Re read my post and then come back with your reply since your obviously dyslexic. If you cannot read I dont really know my protest history well or I dont care if ive got my history wrong, then you shouldnt even be posting on this thread let alone the whole ****in website

Achieving rights is different to gaining power or financial change you berke, as said in the comparison of women gaining the vote. And to be honest, no disrespect to Martins name, but tbh he didnt achieve anything. Im not being racist as I know most black intellectual people agree, look at the racism directed at black people in america today and look how much worse off and how many are dieing everyday from poverty and crime there. Martin would be turning in his grave, and thats the truth. Even though I am a fan of hiphop, I know people are disgraced at how far Martin went yet black people in a sense hvae gone in a downward spirale.

*- Will reply to other posters later, gotta head to college
    sooo

:gtfo:

Dannymccs, mind coming with some argument instead of a broad stupid statement? Or evidence to back up your statement ? thought so, your the idiot here dude

If yall honestly think people will take students seriously because they are peacefully protesting, when most of yall dont have jobs, go out every weekend, drink and smoke weed ( have nothing against it, just when certain people use it yall make the drug look stupid ) then :|. I see the hippies achieved the disarmament of nukes and the prevention of war.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of attempting to have a reasoned discussion with you when you acknowledge you don't know your history and aren't bothered by it? Your unwillingness to bother to put in any research to your post means we'd only be arguing over something that had a fundamentally false premise.

ReputationRep:
    Okay my bad I didn't read that part of your post so I apologise for that. However I still maintain protesting can work effectively to achieve more rights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.