Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if anyone can help point me in the right direction to find the answer to my query. I've been searching various terms on Google all day and seem to be going round in circles!

A quick bit of background so you can see where I'm coming from. I am part way through a OU Maths degree, am a mature (30s) student and would like to teach. I am not sure which age range yet and have been looking at numeracy teaching in FE too. I don't yet have much teaching experience. My work background is as an Accounting Technician. I might like to get a Teaching Assistant role maybe while I finish my degree?

The most straight forward thing is to do a PGCE secondary maths after I finish my degree as I know I'd get funding and will have QTS. If I do become a TA and do vocational qualifications will I still be able to get PGCE funding? I don't think they would count as ITT?

But as I'm also interested in FE I've been looking into this too. Seems I'd need QTLS there, not QTS! Which is confusing me no end! I keep trying to find information on funding for one if I have the other and whether I'd need to do it if I wanted to change from school to post 16 - I can not seem to find a clear answer.

Not expecting anyone to know all the answers but if you know where I might try to find some more information it would be appreciated!

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.