Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think im struggling to cope a uni at the moment.

Basically the first week back at uni a friend tried to commit suicide ova a breaking up with his girlfriend who lives in the same house, luckly we managed to save him and call the ambulance i was the one on the phone having to describe what was going on, wen we said that the police was coming he ran, the police interviewed us and said if he came bk to phone them, he came bk about an hr later we called the police and they sent some back up and they came and got him. We thought that he wud be gone from now on as i live in the house as well but he was bk two days letter and sending letters about how he owes us his life. That in itself messed me up having to see something like that and cutting them free.

In the same week i got a phone call that a close family member had died, i had to leave uni and go with the rest of my family to where that person lived. I spent the weekend then i came bk to uni and i just put the death to the bk of my mind so that i cud get my work done. The funeral came a couple weeks later but i just cudnt look at the body. Uni has been soo crazy that i just havent had time to adjust or think about anything.

Right now i still feel that my family member isnt dead and that i havent grieved for them, i just dont know how, i feel so lonely being away from my parents, but i dont want to burden them when they have moved on and im still stuck.

sry if it makes no sense

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to a close friend about it? Or tried talking to anyone else like a distant relative? I know you don't want to burdent your parents, but i'm sure your parents are always willing to help you get through whatever obstacle you come across. It's what family does. Stick together through hardships or any situation and never leave another behind. I'm sure they will understand and not resent you for asking to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    You can't keep all of this stress and upset to yourself, it will only make you more sad and unable to cope. University only gets harder the closer to the end, and the later into the academic year.

You really ought to speak to a friend or family member you can trust. Your parents will understand the reasons why if you explain to them, and really they have no reason to judge you or feel like you should have already overcome the loss.

If you don't feel like you can bring yourself to put all of this on someone you know, you can always speak to someone impartial about it and try to get some advice. Over a forum thread I don't think will work so much, but going to your GP or calling up a helpline might work.

When I was at university there was a councelling service. Your GP at university should be able to point you into the right direction.

Always consider speaking to your personal tutor and explaining your situation. Grieving is a natural process and it also varies considerably from person to person. They might be able to offer you advice and options on how to deal with your stress without it having adverse affects on your degree.

Chin up, things take time. You are only human and you shouldn't feel like you are on your own. But unless you speak out about it, no one is to know that you're not finding it easy. My motto is always "better out than in".

xxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.