Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FOR 20-25 YEAR OLDS: Do you believe in love? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious as to who in our age group still believes in love in a monogamous relationship and who would rather be promiscuous. I also want to know why you came to your decision. I would appreciate at least two sentences instead of one worded answers of "yes" or "no". Thank you! :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Do I believe in love? Some days yes, some days no.

I am capable of being monogamous and happy, but I don't know if men are. In their 20s, particularly.

ReputationRep:
    Well I believe in it but I think (financial) security is more important. Tbh if it was going to complete mess up my life then I wouldn't stay with someone just for 'love'. It's not enough. I'm in a monogamous relationship now but I don't see the harm in ONSs, etc, if no-one gets hurt and both know what they want. At any age. Whatever works for you!

ReputationRep:
    I believe in love, but its a big word. I only use it when i truly mean it, and have only been in love twice, once when i was 16 (the guy i lost my virginity to) - we were together for 2 years, and with my current boyfriend, who i have also been with for 2 years.

However, part of me misses the chase, the excitement, and i sometimes feel too young to be submitting myself to a monogomous relationship, like i don't quite trust myself incase i have something to get out of my system, but all i know is that i do love my boyfriend, even though its not that easy sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I like being in a relationship. I've never been promiscuous so I don't know what that's like... I don't think I'd be into it to be honest.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've never been in that kinda relationship but I certainly believe in love. For me it would have to be in a monogamous relationship. I'm not cut out for promiscuity or open relationships, etc. I'm too traditionally-minded for the former and the latter would require more trust and security within the relationship than I imagine I'd probably be able to muster

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you for all the replies! I was just curious because I go to the Arizona State University (but am currently taking a break until next semester) and most of the people that attend the school are very promiscuous and rarely do I ever run into couples that are dating and not cheating on each other.

I definitely would choose to be in a monogomous relationship, but I cannot lie that I like being a free spirit. I'm not promiscuous in anyway but I do have commitment issues because it is hard for me to trust a person since I've dealt with guys who have cheated on me countless times.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in love, but I dont want it just yet, I want to mess about while Im young and start to look for someone to settle down with when im 25+

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe in love. I've just broken up with my boyfriend, due to being long distance, but I loved him completely and still do.

ReputationRep:

Seriously though, I believe in monogamous relationships yes. But it definitely depends on the person. As for love well, who knows? I'd like to think so. (Except Justin Hawkins, of course :ninja:)

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely =) I believe in love and I could happily be in a monogamous relationship. I think now is the time in my life, though, where I don't want anything overly serious. I've done serious and now I'm happy having a little bit of fun. But that doesn't diminish the fact that I like the idea of being 'in love' with someone =)

ReputationRep:
    i do believe in love but not looking atm. i had a catholic upbringing so not promiscuous.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But I think there's romantic love and there's true love.

Romantic love can consume you, drive you crazy and is generally what all the fuss is about when people go on about being in 'love' - but it can disappear and fade over time, ie. people can get over romantic heartbreaks. And then there's what I call true love, the kind of absolute, unconditional and completely selfless kind of love and caring for someone - what you feel for parents and close family members generally. To feel the latter kind of love for someone as well as incorporating the romantic element is something I really doubt most people our age (teens or twenties) are capable of - to be honest, I fully admit I'm not even quite there yet and I've been with my boyfriend, living together for 2 years!

Don't know if that answers your question... but at least it's longer than 2 sentences

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and i'd rather being in a loving relationship with one girl rather than random encounters with lots of girls BUT, most girls don't seem to want a relationship

ReputationRep:
    No.

Although that may change in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I am actually really surprised that everyone has been saying they do believe in it even if not now but later. Quite a few of my friends, as sad as it sounds, have told me otherwise. Saying that it's not for them, or they'd rather have fun and mess around (one being 28 who has said that), or that they don't ever want to get married. I love reading everyones response to my question. Thank you! I hope to hear even more! ^_^

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.