Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lack of confidence. Watch

In regards to my self esteem, I thought that I was actually getting better but the last month or so have been such a low point for me. Two years ago, my self confidence was so bad that I couldn't look in the mirror for very long or I would end up crying. I started getting better once I began receiving male attention (yeah, I know it is silly to base your worth on that), however lately I can feel myself slipping back. Iwas making myself sick every day for three weeks untill two weeks ago (I gave up due to the horrible effects) and still didn't lose any weight, my skin is worse than ever, my hair is horrible and dry, and I just feel awful. Male attention is no longer making me feel like I am not completely hideous.

My low confidence is affecting other areas of my life too, because of it I have been missing some important lectures, stopped going to the society I joined up to, never dated anyone, and spending most of my time feeling like crap . I constantly feel that I am not good enough for anyone and anything.

How can I make myself more confident?

ReputationRep:
    Aww I have no idea how to help cos I have low self-esteem issues myself, but I just wanna give you a hug *hugs you*

ReputationRep:
    discover makeup and experiement with it, it can do amazing things.
    also, pick up a team sport and take it up.
    dress nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be you.

Edit: These neg reppers must think it's great to be the OP.

(Original post by simtacular)
    Aww I have no idea how to help cos I have low self-esteem issues myself, but I just wanna give you a hug *hugs you*
    Thank you, it is just a relief to know that someone can relate. I want to be able to like myself and not criticise myself for every little thing I do wrong. My main fear is failure because if I fail at something it knocks my confidence down even further.

I am really not sure why i am like this but it could be down to my childhood which wasn't the best, bipolar mother, sexual abuse, and being a loner at school being constantly called ugly and stupid. It is difficult to move on from the past, and even now that I am getting quite a bit of attention from guys I still feel hideous.

(Original post by Trottoir)
    discover makeup and experiement with it, it can do amazing things.
    also, pick up a team sport and take it up.
    dress nicely.
    I do wear make-up and I have experimented with it.
    I don't play sport but I walk a lot and exercise at home. When I get some money, I am going to the gym. I am not fat, actually I am a size 10 but I would like to be thin like most girls I see.
    I do try and dress nicely.

ReputationRep:
    You can't look in the mirror without crying?

Why am I thinking the elephant man or wolf man?

(Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    Sucks to be you.
    Thanks, captain obvious!

(Original post by Vexper)

lol...I can assure you that I am neither of those!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you, it is just a relief to know that someone can relate. I want to be able to like myself and not criticise myself for every little thing I do wrong. My main fear is failure because if I fail at something it knocks my confidence down even further.

I am really not sure why i am like this but it could be down to my childhood which wasn't the best, bipolar mother, sexual abuse, and being a loner at school being constantly called ugly and stupid. It is difficult to move on from the past, and even now that I am getting quite a bit of attention from guys I still feel hideous.
    If you are getting quite a bit of attention surely you can realise that you can't be as hideous as you think you are?
    I mean you have to take the positives out of yourself and not just look at the negatives.

ReputationRep:
    your hair and skin isnt exactly going to be great if you are throwing up every day is it......

(solution: make up!)

(Original post by simtacular)
    If you are getting quite a bit of attention surely you can realise that you can't be as hideous as you think you are?
    I mean you have to take the positives out of yourself and not just look at the negatives.
    Yeah, true! I manage to turn even the positives into the negatives, for example, I had about 10 different guys approach me on one night out recently but I just kept telling myself that they only found me attractive because they had "beer googles" on or were joking around.

(Original post by Lozza_00)
    your hair and skin isnt exactly going to be great if you are throwing up every day is it......

(solution: make up!)
    I am not throwing up anymore, well except for the other day but I am definately stopping now. I want to be healthy .

haha makeup is my friend and I do use it!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Anonymous;28725424]Yeah, true! I manage to turn even the positives into the negatives, for example, I had about 10 different guys approach me on one night out recently but I just kept telling myself that they only found me attractive because they had "beer googles" on or were joking around.

:rolleyes: you're probably really beautiful and just can't see it
    Plus you sound quite interesting. Me thinks you are a wasted talent

ReputationRep:
    I do wear make-up and I have experimented with it.
    I don't play sport but I walk a lot and exercise at home. When I get some money, I am going to the gym. I am not fat, actually I am a size 10 but I would like to be thin like most girls I see.
    I do try and dress nicely.
    i'm a szize 12-14 and 2 years ago i was a size 8! (i'm assuming we are talking uk sizes) i would love to be size 10 again. but it's just hard work and determination.

you can buy quite cheap exercise equipment. my family have told me hulahooping every day for an hour works, and i persoanlly did see the difference.
    and asda do some quite good things, i'ts worth searching the internet for help on looking better

your skin and hair will be looking back because of the constant being sick, just make sure you have a good diet... lots of greens

also maybe invest in some self-help books? maybe spend a day with your girlfirends go and get a make over (splash out a bit)

i dont know what else to suggest, sorry if ti doesnt help

(Original post by Vexper)

ReputationRep:
    you don't become more confident, you accept that you are un-confident. i've found that it's more about that, than it is about being something that you aren't. try and exercise, and do things you enjoy. make an effort with people - make it your goal. stop smoking, overeating, and looking in the mirror too much. try and relax. think of how great life is, objectively, and shape your life so that yours can reap the benefits. help people, and let people halp you. do things like yoga if you're a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldeegee)
    i'm a szize 12-14 and 2 years ago i was a size 8! (i'm assuming we are talking uk sizes) i would love to be size 10 again. but it's just hard work and determination.

you can buy quite cheap exercise equipment. my family have told me hulahooping every day for an hour works, and i persoanlly did see the difference.
    and asda do some quite good things, i'ts worth searching the internet for help on looking better

your skin and hair will be looking back because of the constant being sick, just make sure you have a good diet... lots of greens

also maybe invest in some self-help books? maybe spend a day with your girlfirends go and get a make over (splash out a bit)

i dont know what else to suggest, sorry if ti doesnt help
    Random quote with no response?

Just how i like them.

ReputationRep:
    If you're gonna try lose weight, just dont eat at all. It's easier and less disgusting than bulimia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    If you're gonna try lose weight, just dont eat at all. It's easier and less disgusting than bulimia
    no, not eating at all is not a good way to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldeegee)
    no, not eating at all is not a good way to lose weight.
    Want a bet?

In regards to my self esteem, I thought that I was actually getting better but the last month or so have been such a low point for me. Two years ago, my self confidence was so bad that I couldn't look in the mirror for very long or I would end up crying. I started getting better once I began receiving male attention (yeah, I know it is silly to base your worth on that), however lately I can feel myself slipping back. Iwas making myself sick every day for three weeks untill two weeks ago (I gave up due to the horrible effects) and still didn't lose any weight, my skin is worse than ever, my hair is horrible and dry, and I just feel awful. Male attention is no longer making me feel like I am not completely hideous.

My low confidence is affecting other areas of my life too, because of it I have been missing some important lectures, stopped going to the society I joined up to, never dated anyone, and spending most of my time feeling like crap . I constantly feel that I am not good enough for anyone and anything.

How can I make myself more confident?
    I know how you feel and I am male. I often don't feel good enough, although, apparenty Im decent looking but Im still insecure. U should try going to the gym and helping out yourself by getting into shape if you're not and feeling better about yourself

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.