This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I work really hard for my A levels...get 5 A's for A2...And reapply to Cambridge.

Then I spend a year doing things such as -

... discovering my roots and "soul searching" - going and meeting my extended family (probably the only chance I'll get in quite a few years), experience the life and culture difference in India and Pakistan...Maybe work in an indian movie while I'm there (lol).

...Go meet some top philosophers in America with my dad (he's going to do that anyway since he knows a lot of them, so I might as wlel join him).

...become more widely read, get more independent

...perhaps get a job somewhere or do work experience in a legal firm.

And if I still don't get in, I'll be pleased for a lovely break from academics and go and do well at another good uni. Hmmmm, good plan or not?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I work really hard for my A levels...get 5 A's for A2...And reapply to Cambridge.

... discovering my roots and "soul searching" - going and meeting my extended family (probably the only chance I'll get in quite a few years), experience the life and culture difference in India and Pakistan...Maybe work in an indian movie while I'm there (lol).

...Go meet some top philosophers in America with my dad (he's going to do that anyway since he knows a lot of them, so I might as wlel join him).

And if I still don't get in, I'll be pleased for a lovely break from academics and go and do well at another good uni. Hmmmm, good plan or not?
Just make sure you're not gonna get depressed and top yourself if you don't get in. They'd bemad not to have you with those grades though.

Musicboy
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Go for it. I thought you were a sure thing this year but mistakes do happen. Your gap year plans sound really worthwhile and you'll be more 'prepared' for the admissions' procedure. Good luck !
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy)
Go for it. I thought you were a sure thing this year but mistakes do happen. Your gap year plans sound really worthwhile and you'll be more 'prepared' for the admissions' procedure. Good luck !
Thanks for the encouragement! And why oh why am I not on your nice people list? tut tut...hehe
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And why oh why am I not on your nice people list? tut tut...hehe
lol, err sorry I forgot There ya go
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy)
lol, err sorry I forgot There ya go
Merci beaucoup. Are you an oxbridger yourself Luce?
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Adhsur, I dont know you or anything, but i'm not 100% sure this is a good idea. Were you contemplating a gap year before you applied the first time? I just feel you may get your hopes up again, and the rejection may be harder the second time around. Sometimes, I think you just need to accept that maybe you don't have what they are looking for. Its not something that any amount of work can change - you either have it or you dont.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, and it does, but I just don't want you hurting yourself.
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah I agree, if you were thinking about taking a gap year before you got rejected then fair enough, but taking a gap year purely because you got rejected doesn't sound like a good idea. If you do get rejected again, its not like you've wasted a year of your life true, but during that uni you could have been doing the same degree you applied to do elsewhere. Because thats what applying to uni should be about - doing something you love, not applying because you like the uni.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Adhsur, I dont know you or anything, but i'm not 100% sure this is a good idea. Were you contemplating a gap year before you applied the first time? I just feel you may get your hopes up again, and the rejection may be harder the second time around. Sometimes, I think you just need to accept that maybe you don't have what they are looking for. Its not something that any amount of work can change - you either have it or you dont.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, and it does, but I just don't want you hurting yourself.
I don't think one needs to contemplate a Gap Year before one's first application...I was rejected too and then I took a Gap Year to reapply (although I didn't want to take a Gap Year) and I got in when I reapplied. As long as the year is worthwhile even without getting into Cambridge, I'd say Adhsur will be fine.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It all depends on whether or not the worth of the gap year is going ot be decided by a couple of 20 minute interviews...
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
It all depends on whether or not the worth of the gap year is going ot be decided by a couple of 20 minute interviews...
I wouldn't do the gap for the interview - but to enjoy myself hehe

I appreciate all your views. Of course there will be a LOT to consider. But I'm keeping options open.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

not wanting to sound obtuse but there isnt really a difference between indian and pakistani culture...well not a noticable one in my point of view, since they were once one country...

other than that...i think that your proposals are a great idea! I would love to do that...its good to go trekking while youre young and free! yay...
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Merci beaucoup. Are you an oxbridger yourself Luce?
Yep, Oxford for Medicine

Ensocopier - I personally think that in some ways applicants who are reapplying 'know the score' second time round as they have a better understanding of how the system works and how it can go wrong. Plus the 'reapplicants' I have talked to seemed to be less 'emotional' about it all second time round as they realised that oxbridge isn't the be all, end all. I also think that reapplying can be an extremely good idea because in the end mistakes do happen and it's better for someone to go for it just to know for sure. A couple of my friends are planning on reapplying and I'm all for it because I personally think they should have gotten in I do understand your point of view though and I realise that in some cases reapplying might not be the best choice to take.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
not wanting to sound obtuse but there isnt really a difference between indian and pakistani culture...well not a noticable one in my point of view, since they were once one country...

I think she means the difference between where she lives now (England) and the sub-continent...
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)

other than that...i think that your proposals are a great idea! I would love to do that...its good to go trekking while youre young and free! yay...
Erm, in one word no. They are VERY different. Plus, even if the difference WAS subtle...I'd have to visit both.

But thanks!
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Yep, Oxford for Medicine

Ensocopier - I personally think that in some ways applicants who are reapplying 'know the score' second time round as they have a better understanding of how the system works and how it can go wrong. Plus the 'reapplicants' I have talked to seemed to be less 'emotional' about it all second time round as they realised that oxbridge isn't the be all, end all. I also think that reapplying can be an extremely good idea because in the end mistakes do happen and it's better for someone to go for it just to know for sure. A couple of my friends are planning on reapplying and I'm all for it because I personally think they should have gotten in I do understand your point of view though and I realise that in some cases reapplying might not be the best choice to take.
Sure, maybe Adhsur has to think would she be happy to take that Gap year without the application to Cambridge. I.e. would she be happy to take the year off and go to one of the Uni's she's got into now. If so, then its fine. As Kildare says it puts a lot of stress on the 20 minutes and could lead to lots of misery. On the other hand, you did get pooled, so obviously you are good enough.

Lucy: Just checked the rep thingy- thanks!
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
they should have gotten in
:eek: :eek: :eek: Horrible Americanism!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
sorry I have reached the stage where I can only speak correctly when using 'science-talk'

Ensocopier - that's alright It was ages ago (I found your comment very funny )
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
isn't horrible a redundance?
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
sorry I have reached the stage where I can only speak correctly when using 'science-talk'

Ensocopier - that's alright It was ages ago (I found your comment very funny )
What exam board are you for biology?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads