The Student Room Group

Getting five rejections

Has anyone had this this year? I fear this is very likely to happen to me, and I would like some advice on how to cope if this happens. I know the entry requirements will probably go up next year and I won't be able to apply probably as my grades and qualifications barely meet them this year. I have thought about doing an Access course next year, but that would mean I would have to wait another two years till University atleast.

I'm just hopelessly stuck. I live in a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunties and I just want to leave and live somewhere else. Me and my parents argue non stop and I just want a fresh start somewhere else. Problem is, I'm not really qualified for anything that pays well so thus I will not be able to move out and away.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S.L
Has anyone had this this year? I fear this is very likely to happen to me, and I would like some advice on how to cope if this happens. I know the entry requirements will probably go up next year and I won't be able to apply probably as my grades and qualifications barely meet them this year. I have thought about doing an Access course next year, but that would mean I would have to wait another two years till University atleast.

I'm just hopelessly stuck. I live in a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunties and I just want to leave and live somewhere else. Me and my parents argue non stop and I just want a fresh start somewhere else. Problem is, I'm not really qualified for anything that pays well so thus I will not be able to move out and away.

Relax, you havent been rejected yet, you might not be.

If you are you can still get in this year. Remember you have clearing and i am sure if you are rejected by all of them you can apply to others...
How about looking into a foundation degree/year?

For a foundation year it'll only add one extra year and for a foundation degree it'll take you 2 years but then you have a one year top up and you have a degree! (this is what I am doing)

xx
Reply 2
I'm worried about not getting the first choice and settling for something else, dangerous to get hopes up and have your heart set on something like this.
Reply 3
S.L
OP
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
Relax, you havent been rejected yet, you might not be.

If you are you can still get in this year. Remember you have clearing and i am sure if you are rejected by all of them you can apply to others...
How about looking into a foundation degree/year?

For a foundation year it'll only add one extra year and for a foundation degree it'll take you 2 years but then you have a one year top up and you have a degree! (this is what I am doing)

xx

I'm trying to keep positive, but at the same time I need to be realistic. I'm applying for a very competitive course, and judging by my grades and rather bad personal statement, I obviously don't compare to other applicants. The only saving grace is that my current job relates to the course but I doubt that will be enough.

The courses I'm applying for are either foundation degree or higher education diploma. I take it those are "easier" to get onto maybe?

My friend did tell me something about clearing briefly, I wouldn't mind it. It would be a useful qualification to have and I get to experience university life as well. Are these easily accessable? When are they available?
Oh dont give up yet. It aint over till that lady sings (as they say).

If it does turn out that you do not get any offers you always have the opportunity to apply through 'extra' or even 'clearing' once you find out what you have got.

You have time to try as hard as you can to get the best results you possibly can - especially if you have coursework - proof reading it well can really help you get better marks. Every mark counts.

Try to block out what is going on at home. I am sure that your parents do want the best for you so you might be able to tell them about your study programme, and stick to it. Organise your room so it is a real study space just like a uni room.

You will probably find that entry for 2012 is going to be easier than 2011. Everyone is trying to rush in this year to get in before the new tuition fee regime. So the rush will be over. Even if you do not get in this year, you will be able to cope financially. Govt will not make you pay up front.

Be strong, believe in yourself - you can get A levels.
Original post by Urkel
If you do get five rejections, you will end up in clearing and maybe extra.

You could then apply for somewhere else and still get a university place during this cycle.

Other way around, but yes, the point remains - you'll get more chances.
Reply 6
S.L
OP
Original post by ollienbert
Oh dont give up yet. It aint over till that lady sings (as they say).

If it does turn out that you do not get any offers you always have the opportunity to apply through 'extra' or even 'clearing' once you find out what you have got.

You have time to try as hard as you can to get the best results you possibly can - especially if you have coursework - proof reading it well can really help you get better marks. Every mark counts.

Try to block out what is going on at home. I am sure that your parents do want the best for you so you might be able to tell them about your study programme, and stick to it. Organise your room so it is a real study space just like a uni room.

You will probably find that entry for 2012 is going to be easier than 2011. Everyone is trying to rush in this year to get in before the new tuition fee regime. So the rush will be over. Even if you do not get in this year, you will be able to cope financially. Govt will not make you pay up front.

Be strong, believe in yourself - you can get A levels.

Oops, I didn't really explain my situation sorry.

I forgot to mention, I'm 21, in employment and only hold a BTEC National Diploma with grades of MPP. I haven't been in full time education since 2007, I think. Since then I have been working or doing minor, rather useless part time college courses which I wish I hadn't bothered with :redface:
Original post by S.L

I forgot to mention, I'm 21, in employment and only hold a BTEC National Diploma with grades of MPP. I haven't been in full time education since 2007, I think. Since then I have been working or doing minor, rather useless part time college courses which I wish I hadn't bothered with :redface:

If the course u are applying 4 is not an academic one u are more likely 2 be offered a place based on ur work experience rather than ur qualifications. Have u received any replies yet? If the course u are applying 2 is very competitive maybe you should consider something less so, unless u are passionate about that particular subject. A good friend of mine has just been refused from 4 out of 5 choices, they say its coz of her personal statement which could mean anything. Its tough when that happens but either way just keep ur chin up and dont give up. If ur determined 2 get in u probably will.:wink:
Seriously, the chances of you getting five rejections are slim. You're probably being fed the scare stories of people getting AAA and not getting into uni, but it will be fine. As long as you space out your choices and do well in your AS, you would be looking at a few offers from the top 20.
Original post by S.L

I haven't really explained my situation.:colondollar: I am in full time employment and have just completed a distance learning Masters - you can do it whatever your age. I am considerably older than you, still watching the student room because a member of my family is applying this year. I keep getting curious about threads and cannot keep quiet.

I don't really know anything about your qualifications, however I do think that you should not see study simply as a way to escape your home situation. Of course you want to study to find a more meaningful employment but do not go for the first course you see. Maybe you do get the offers that you want and that would be great, but if not maybe there is a longer term strategy that you have to plan for (which will stop you taking courses for the say of it and ending up with what you call 'useless part time college courses') in fact nothing is completely useless - you may not think it at the time, but there is always the transferable skill hidden in a course; you just don't think it at the time.

So if you do not get a course this time round, all is not lost. Are there careers advisers you can go to? Look at all the options including Open University which can be cheaper. Maybe you can start to look for a part time job or some voluntary work in addition to your employment just to start to give yourself ideas for the future.

You are only 21, why not find out about the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. You can do this up to the age of 25 and there are open groups. I did this 30 years ago and although it was hard, it does teach you a lot about yourself and you can describe this in job and uni applications, explaining how even at the age of 21 you wanted to challenge yourself and could overcome the awkwardness of being the eldest of the group to achieve your goal.

Education is about challenges and meeting those challenges. You have 'missed the opportunity' to get your degree in the straightforward way so it will be a bit harder - but how much more satisfying when you eventually graduate and realise what you have overcome and achieved.
Reply 10
Original post by chrislpp
I'm worried about not getting the first choice and settling for something else, dangerous to get hopes up and have your heart set on something like this.

LOL cheers for stating the obvious for everyone here.
Reply 11
Itll be harder to get in when its 2012?
how come?
I thought that since the fees are going up, more people will be put off going and instead opting to go straight into employment :s-smilie:
If anything, wont entry be extra hard for 2011?
I dont know anything really its just something ive heard other people talk about.
The chances of it happening to anyone who has applied to realistic unis is very slim. However, my Plan of Action if I'd got five rejections would have been:

1) Cry
2) Consider clearing vs reapplying
3) Do as well as possible in my A Levels anyway.
4) If reapplying, find a job and sort out my gap year.

It's not the end of the world :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by S.L

Hey this happened to me last year. I believe that it was because I had applied to 2 completely different subjects. I wasn't the only one. I felt like this would happen to me last year too. My advice is first of all even though it is hard, not to stress. Yes it sounds ridiculous but you should put the worry out of your mind because there is nothing that you can do about it until it happens and you don't want to end up finally getting a place then losing it because you miss the grades (this is experience talking).
Second of all you should start looking at other places that you would like to apply to if you do end up in UCAS EXTRA (This is for if you decline all offers or miss out on all 5 choices. You can only apply to one at a time) EXTRA opens at the beginning of february so you still have time to visit universities. You don't know what will be in EXTRA so making a list helps if you find that one of your next choices is full. If you are in EXTRA it will say so in track. The courses in EXTRA will display an X next to them. Call first to make sure that the course is actually in EXTRA as UCAS can take time to update. Explain your story to them, ask if you can send an additional statement if you want to and if they'll consider you. Have your personal ID number and your AS grades to hand.
Then you can add your EXTRA choice. If you get rejected from your EXTRA choice you can apply somewhere else until you get an offer although before the deadline. If that fails you still have clearing.
Like I said I know how it feels but don't allow yourself to wallow. Put your energy into planning ahead and getting the grades instead. Don't beat yourself up about it there were people with all As at AS and all A* as predictions who were in EXTRA.
Good luck hopefully you wont need this advice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I feel like that as well sometimes but it's my fault for applying to such a competitive course (which is worth it, me thinks)
Reply 15
Original post by ollienbert
I haven't really explained my situation.:colondollar: I am in full time employment and have just completed a distance learning Masters - you can do it whatever your age. I am considerably older than you, still watching the student room because a member of my family is applying this year. I keep getting curious about threads and cannot keep quiet.

I don't really know anything about your qualifications, however I do think that you should not see study simply as a way to escape your home situation. Of course you want to study to find a more meaningful employment but do not go for the first course you see. Maybe you do get the offers that you want and that would be great, but if not maybe there is a longer term strategy that you have to plan for (which will stop you taking courses for the say of it and ending up with what you call 'useless part time college courses') in fact nothing is completely useless - you may not think it at the time, but there is always the transferable skill hidden in a course; you just don't think it at the time.

So if you do not get a course this time round, all is not lost. Are there careers advisers you can go to? Look at all the options including Open University which can be cheaper. Maybe you can start to look for a part time job or some voluntary work in addition to your employment just to start to give yourself ideas for the future.

You are only 21, why not find out about the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. You can do this up to the age of 25 and there are open groups. I did this 30 years ago and although it was hard, it does teach you a lot about yourself and you can describe this in job and uni applications, explaining how even at the age of 21 you wanted to challenge yourself and could overcome the awkwardness of being the eldest of the group to achieve your goal.

Education is about challenges and meeting those challenges. You have 'missed the opportunity' to get your degree in the straightforward way so it will be a bit harder - but how much more satisfying when you eventually graduate and realise what you have overcome and achieved.

S.L
I agree completely with Ollienbert. I would also add that with the ELQ (Equivalent or Lesser Qualification) rule you need to make sure that the degree you do eventually sign up for is one you really want to do. The problem with ELQ is that if you wanted later to do a second undergrad degree (it happens!), unless it's in one of the few subjects the government is wanting to encourage people to do, you would have to pay full wack and you wouldn't qualify for student loans. Interestingly, now that the government is proposing to remove all subsidy for arts and humanities courses, it may not make much difference in the end other than not being able to take out loans. But, a science course not exempt from the ELQ rule could cost you a great deal more.

All of that said, if you do end up with five rejections there will be Extra which opens in February, and Clearing as a final back stop. So all hope is in no way lost.
When does clearing starts?
Reply 17
Original post by kristinaalovesu
When does clearing starts?

on results day in august
Reply 18
S.L
OP
What are chances of getting on a course that is in "clearing"?
Reply 19
Original post by S.L
What are chances of getting on a course that is in "clearing"?

Guide to Clearing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending