The Student Room Group

will uni still be a fresh start? getting second thoughts.

Right this sounds a bit pathetic... I accepted Nottingham uni in March and have been really excited about going there as I got my unconditional in August and haven't been worried about it at all. I wanted to have a fresh start at university and meet new people who never knew me before.

But, anyway, now basically lots of people in my year who didn't get into university last year have reapplied and now four people have accepted Nottingham already (it's only 30th november aswell, urgh), and I don't mind them really - it's just I really don't want to be somewhere they'll be? One of them is doing my course as well so I will see them, and I dunno. I know it's a huge university but they're all applying similar accommodation to me (coincidentally; I saw it on facebook, feeling totally lame now). I'm just having second thoughts about going somewhere where I'll see these people? (I totally want to say Man up to myself right now but I really do feel worried and confused!)

People keep telling me Nottingham is "Colchester-relocated" (I'm from Colchester) as well and this is really putting me off... and I've only actually visited the university once and now I'm not sure if it's for me.

I know I'm being pathetic, but do I have any right to be? I mean there'll be LOADS of people, so even if they have the same accom as me would I realistically see them a lot? I want a fresh start, I don't want to be near people I know... I'm not going to be pathetic and reapply (I don't really know where I'd reapply to either) but I'm beginning to get worried maybe Nottingham uni isn't the place to get a fresh start...

The fact I'm even worrying about this is confusing me... I'm not sure what it says about myself, ha

Scroll to see replies

Even if they end up being in the same accommodation, some of the Notts accommodation blocks are pretty big. Certainly big enough for you not to really see the people you'd want to avoid, except maybe during meal times if you're not going for the self-catered stuff.

As for your course, is it a big course? Coz unless it's one of the smaller courses and/or this person decides to stick to you like a leach during the first few weeks, I imagine you probs wouldn't see them as much as you might fear :smile:
You hardly see the people you went to school with, at uni. Trust me!

So Sia, be free!
Even if you are on the same course, you shouldn't have to see them (unless it's a really small course), you won't know everyone in your accommodation by a long stretch. I know maybe 5 of the flats in my accommodation well, and there are a couple of hundred flats!

Also just because it may be like your home town doesn't mean it's not a fresh start. There is something about living on your own with people you don't know, fending for yourself etc. that means no matter where you are, you will be able to reinvent yourself and grow massively in confidence.

But if you really are having doubts, do go and have another look round the uni, it may put your mind at rest. I had opposite fears, that Glasgow would be too different and too unknown for me (I'm from Cambridge) but it really has been the making of me =D
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Even if they end up being in the same accommodation, some of the Notts accommodation blocks are pretty big. Certainly big enough for you not to really see the people you'd want to avoid, except maybe during meal times if you're not going for the self-catered stuff.

As for your course, is it a big course? Coz unless it's one of the smaller courses and/or this person decides to stick to you like a leach during the first few weeks, I imagine you probs wouldn't see them as much as you might fear :smile:

I'm doing French and German, and they're doing French. I think they're alright but they're not really someone I'd choose to be friends with (i.e. they're cooler than me hahaha). I hope so, I wanted to apply for Florence boot though and maybe Cavendish and I think they're hoping the same (they want to stick together, ha)
Original post by SiaSiaSia
I'm doing French and German, and they're doing French. I think they're alright but they're not really someone I'd choose to be friends with (i.e. they're cooler than me hahaha). I hope so, I wanted to apply for Florence boot though and maybe Cavendish and I think they're hoping the same (they want to stick together, ha)

Well the French course should have quite a lot of people on it? If they try to latch onto you, just shake them off as best you can and emphasise that you wanna meet new people, etc.

I don't know either of those two (my sister was in Lenton and her best mate was in Lincoln, so those are the two I've seen) but unless you end up in the actual same physical block or corridor, you should hopefully be OK. The problems arise when people live in very close proximity to you (i.e. close enough to see/hear/know your movements, so you can't pretend you're not in when they keep knocking on the door :biggrin: ) :smile:
Reply 6
Well the French course should have quite a lot of people on it? If they try to latch onto you, just shake them off as best you can and emphasise that you wanna meet new people, etc.

I don't know either of those two (my sister was in Lenton and her best mate was in Lincoln, so those are the two I've seen) but unless you end up in the actual same physical block or corridor, you should hopefully be OK. The problems arise when people live in very close proximity to you (i.e. close enough to see/hear/know your movements, so you can't pretend you're not in when they keep knocking on the door :biggrin: ) :smile:

They won't try and latch onto me at ALL, i'm more worried that I'll talk to someone and they'll be like "oh i know her, she was weird at secondary school" (I doubt they would and I don't think I was weird but there is ALWAYS THAT FEAR THAT THEY CAN TURN SOMEONE AGAINST ME) yeah my uncle was in Lenton :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by + polarity -
You hardly see the people you went to school with, at uni. Trust me!

So Sia, be free!

even if lots of them will be there? :ashamed2:

even if lots of them will be there? :ashamed2:

Yeah, it's ridiculously easy to avoid people at uni, you don't even have to try... it's just something that happens tbh

:ninja:
They won't try and latch onto me at ALL, i'm more worried that I'll talk to someone and they'll be like "oh i know her, she was weird at secondary school" (I doubt they would and I don't think I was weird but there is ALWAYS THAT FEAR THAT THEY CAN TURN SOMEONE AGAINST ME) yeah my uncle was in Lenton :smile:

You're just thinking the worst here! Step back a mo and think whether that's actually likely to happen :smile:
Reply 10
You're just thinking the worst here! Step back a mo and think whether that's actually likely to happen :smile:

... it could happen :sad:

haha I know I'm thinking worst case scenario. I'm also like "why do you have to go THERE? THAT'S MY UNIVERSITY" which is also pathetic ahaa

haha I know I'm thinking worst case scenario. I'm also like "why do you have to go THERE? THAT'S MY UNIVERSITY" which is also pathetic ahaa

Well I think it's only natural to think like that if you see uni as a new start. No one from my Sixth Form went to my uni but the guy next door started dating someone who had been in my GCSE English class and I walked into our common room one day to find her and two of her best mates there. My immediate thought was "no, you're not meant to be here!", lol!

Just think of it this way: even if it does happen, the people who are worth you getting to know well and hang out with will be the people who will take the time to find out what you're like for themselves :smile:
I'm from Colchester and guess what, i'm applying to Nottingham too! I'd be curious to find out why exactly Nottingham attracts so many students hailing from the chav-laden dump that is Colchester, as I was under the impression that most people would be applying for Uni's closer to home (yawn) such as Essex.

I hope they've got some kind of German soc at Nottingham, as I have a habit of injecting German into everyday English conversation, and thus a German soc would be a great conduit into which I could channel my German energy, or something. 0_o

It's not silly nor is it stupid. I spent a whole year last year determined to make sure no one else from my sixth form applied to the same Uni I was hoping to go to (Aberdeen..)
I got really put off when I found out there were a few people from my sixth form (who I didn't get a long with) going to my uni and I haven't even seen one of them yet... and I go to a small uni.
Seriously I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
More to the point though, I think at an institution the size of Nottingham you'd be hard pressed to avoid everyone from your past. With a student population of 30,000+ there's bound to be students from your class, let alone the college or town. I can't assume what factors are responsible for being so desperate for a "fresh start" so I can't presume that it's going to be easy or hard. If it's just wanting a fresh start for the usual reasons then I can't see why you wouldn't be able to; there will be students from your college, but their numbers will be heavily outweighed by fresh faces, not just on your course but around the University/City too. I really think you'll be fine.
Reply 16
It's easy enough to lose contact with people you previously knew just by moving from school to a college of over 1000 people.
Imagine how much easier it'd be to shake them off at a University of like 25,000 people!

Don't worry about it!
Reply 17
The work I done for my A Levels was harder than my current University work although I am making it seem harder by lack of motivation as it's very repetitive and drawn out! - 3 years is going to really be testing, and I don't see a lot of hands on work at Uni like I'd like companies to be able to come to the Business School and ask them for advice on organisational structures etc.
Reply 18
Right this sounds a bit pathetic... I accepted Nottingham uni in March and have been really excited about going there as I got my unconditional in August and haven't been worried about it at all. I wanted to have a fresh start at university and meet new people who never knew me before.

But, anyway, now basically lots of people in my year who didn't get into university last year have reapplied and now four people have accepted Nottingham already (it's only 30th november aswell, urgh), and I don't mind them really - it's just I really don't want to be somewhere they'll be? One of them is doing my course as well so I will see them, and I dunno. I know it's a huge university but they're all applying similar accommodation to me (coincidentally; I saw it on facebook, feeling totally lame now). I'm just having second thoughts about going somewhere where I'll see these people? (I totally want to say Man up to myself right now but I really do feel worried and confused!)

People keep telling me Nottingham is "Colchester-relocated" (I'm from Colchester) as well and this is really putting me off... and I've only actually visited the university once and now I'm not sure if it's for me.

I know I'm being pathetic, but do I have any right to be? I mean there'll be LOADS of people, so even if they have the same accom as me would I realistically see them a lot? I want a fresh start, I don't want to be near people I know... I'm not going to be pathetic and reapply (I don't really know where I'd reapply to either) but I'm beginning to get worried maybe Nottingham uni isn't the place to get a fresh start...

The fact I'm even worrying about this is confusing me... I'm not sure what it says about myself, ha

University isn't particularly a fresh start anyway, unless you have a really awful reputation at home. Also, you won't see them that much unless you arrange it.
You really won't see them that much.

Two people I knew from school ended up in the same flat at Uni and they still didn't see each other that much!

There will be so many other people there, it won't matter. I do understand how you're feeling though, I really didn't want anyone from school coming to the same Uni as me either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending