Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Every time I switch my laptop on the same problem keeps happening which is after about 5 minutes of logging into my laptop it will just freeze and even ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work. I have no option but to switch off. It keeps happening every time I switch it on. I don't know much about my laptop but I bought it from Ebuyer and it is a HP laptop and I think the operating system is Windows Vista. Is there anything I can do to resolve this or is it bust for good???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Format it and re-install the OS. You may have an OS disk or a recovery partition.

ReputationRep:
    Have you installed anything new recently? If so it may be the problem. Try starting the laptop in safe mode and then uninstalling the program or perhaps restoring the laptop to an earlier date.

Or it may be a virus, download Avast antivirus, the home edition is free, when you first download it it does a complete check before the computer has even fully loaded (on the bios screen when you first turn it on), hopefully this will mean that it wont be able to freeze before the virus is found. Its one of the best antivirus softwares ive found.

ReputationRep:

sometimes this works.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to format/reinstall. Is there a simple guide about this anywhere?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    I don't know how to format/reinstall. Is there a simple guide about this anywhere?
    This: http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/O...tallvista1.htm

It's about the same process for Windows XP to Windows 7.

ReputationRep:
    ta. I'll crack on with that at some point maybe as long as that is definitely the right thing to do??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    ta. I'll crack on with that at some point maybe as long as that is definitely the right thing to do??
    It may be a hardware problem or it may be a start up program.

Typically, you should format and re-install the OS after 1-2 years or so IMO. Before you format, you can try to boot into Safe Mode by bashing F8 a few times on boot and see you can load into Windows without freezing.

Do note in Safe Mode, it will look a bit odd compared to normal i.e lower resolution, no themes. Functionality in Safe Mode is reduced hence "Safe Mode".

If it works in Safe Mode no problems, then it's probably just a case of some software freezing up on boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    if your laptop is not an extremely cheap one, maybe an official recovery system has been embedded in your computer, if you are not a geek, hopefully it still lies there on your harddrive.

refer to your instrument to find if such a system exists or not.

But DO backup all the things especially on your desktop, before it is too late.

ReputationRep:
    it is a hp550 and cost me just under £400 i think! also best way to back up is??? usb?

ReputationRep:
    well, sorry I have no idea your laptop contains a recovery or not. You have to cheak it by yourself.

different producers have different way to implement the recovery, so possibly they format your whole disk, and nothing left. in that case, usb is good.

but if you reinstall your OS with your own CD/DVD, just move those documents to another partition.
    ===============
    you can follow the suggestion of entering the “safe mode” at first, or using a live disk of "Ubuntu" to check whether the hardware or your OS goes wrong

ReputationRep:
    windows has a system restore check point function. Go back to a point when the computer worked.

ReputationRep:
    actually windows 7 has a function built into it with the system restore area of the control panel, under "advanced recovery methods". if you select the second option saying "return your computer to factory settings" it will check if there is an "image"/copy of your operating system on a different partition of your drive, which it will then use to reinstall windows completely for you.

This will delete any files or programs on your computer.

ReputationRep:
    If I did this would it delete all my computer history? I still have yet to be recovered tabs on google chrome for instance, that I don't want to lose!

ReputationRep:
    Strangely enough it appears to be working again (touch wood). What I did a few days ago is take the charger out and it didn't freeze .. but then as soon as I put the charger back in, it froze! So it was working with the charger out, I tried putting the charger back in and I've gone about 3 hours without it freezing. Fingers crossed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.