Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has immigration made Britain a more homophobic country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that all immigrants are homophobic; however, a large proportion of Britain's immigration descends from cultures and religions that are extremely homophobic compared with the generally liberal, tolerant outlook on homosexuality from mainstream Christianity in the UK.

And, yes, there are a lot of Britons who are homophobic as well - but that's not the discussion.

So, do you think immigration has increased homophobia in the UK, and set us backwards in terms of tolerance and acceptance?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I thought most statistics on these things were pointing to a far more tolerant Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I thought most statistics on these things were pointing to a far more tolerant Britain?
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1291111621324A

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know. If the UK is getting more homophobic, it is totally disastrous. I think homophobia shouldn't be tolerated eg for the sake of 'showing respect towards varied cultures and religions and their tradition'. We should preserve our fundamental principles: liberty and tolerance (and I believe it means no tolerance for intolerance). Yeah, and if anyone happen to tell me that it's me being intolerant against culturally different people or something, I shall say: no, I am just retardaphobic.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I agree.

But the next generations of immigrants here are more understanding and tolerant now as they were born and bred in Britain.

I don't have any problem with homosexuals, despite what my religion and culture says.

ReputationRep:
    You may find a lot of people quick to dismiss this, but I think that possibly you're not wrong. As much as I hate to agree with the milk snatcher

Anecdotally, (so don't try and retort this by saying that this is for only one case, I acknowledge that)

I went to a secondary school in a part of London with a higher number of children from parents whom had migrated here. For Sixth Form I now go to another school out of London with a significantly lower number of children from parents whom had migrated here.

The first school was highly homophobic, it was acceptable to openly say hateful things about gay people to the point of vindictiveness ("I hate gay people, argh, they should just all die"). Not more than 3 people across the entire years 7-11 was openly gay.

The other school is incredibly tolerant and the number of out and gay people was very surprising to me. It is not acceptable to use hateful language about gay people, it's still fine to say "That's gay" or "Don't be gay" in jest.

I think the culture and religion has a big part to do with it. The first school has a large muslim population, and homophobia was considered a 'norm'. I'm not saying outright that muslims caused the homophobia to be accepted by everybody else, but I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea. Many Muslims are pretty open about their dislike of homosexuality.

Obviously not all of any group are homophobic or tolerant. This is completely in generalisations, so please please please don't shoot me

ReputationRep:
    Or it has caused homosexuals in Britain to become more sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    Yep, I agree.

But the next generations of immigrants here are more understanding and tolerant now as they were born and bred in Britain.

I don't have any problem with homosexuals, despite what my religion and culture says.
    I absolutely love people who pick and choose what they want to believe out of their "religion". Do you not see how stupid it is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moqo)
    Well, I don't know. If the UK is getting more homophobic, it is totally disastrous. I think homophobia shouldn't be tolerated eg for the sake of 'showing respect towards varied cultures and religions and their tradition'. F U C K I N G bullsheet. :/ We should preserve our fundamental principles: liberty and tolerance (and I believe it means no tolerance for intolerance). Yeah, and if anyone happen to tell me that it's me being intolerant against culturally different people or something, I shall say: no, I am just retardaphobic.
    I agree that this trend of tolerating intolerance is worrying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    I absolutely love people who pick and choose what they want to believe out of their "religion". Do you not see how stupid it is?
    So you are proposing one of two things. Religoin is stupid. Or you would like to see gangs of christians and jews stoning those who eat shelfish or lisen to music?

ReputationRep:
    How it is stupid? :confused:

I don't follow my religion blindly. There are certain things in my religion I don't particularly agree with, and have my own opinion of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    I'm not saying that all immigrants are homophobic; however, a large proportion of Britain's immigration descends from cultures and religions that are extremely homophobic compared with the generally liberal, tolerant outlook on homosexuality from mainstream Christianity in the UK.

And, yes, there are a lot of Britons who are homophobic as well - but that's not the discussion.

So, do you think immigration has increased homophobia in the UK, and set us backwards in terms of tolerance and acceptance?
    It is only in the last few decades that christian britain has become accepting of homosexuals what with the decline of the religion and its liberalisation in this country. With a large influx of immigrants (be they christian or muslim), I would assume most hold onto the conservative religous values and so don't accept homosexuality.
    There are those who don't accept homosexuality but are willing to live and let live (suppose that is the best the liberal christians will get)

ReputationRep:
    Are you just stating two random unrelated facts together to try and start a debate?

ReputationRep:
    if it is true, not necessarily a bad thing; as long as laws aren't broken, people are allowed to have their religous views (homosexuality is wrong etc)

ReputationRep:
    All you have to do is go on Xbox live and you'll see that homophobia is still rife in non-immigrant British society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So you are proposing one of two things. Religoin is stupid. Or you would like to see gangs of christians and jews stoning those who eat shelfish or lisen to music?
    If your God says that you should stone people who eat shellfish, then as a follower of that religion, surely you should obey? It's not a question of what a would LIKE to see, it's a question of what God (who clearly knows better) says.

(Original post by lonely14)
    How it is stupid? :confused:

I don't follow my religion blindly. There are certain things in my religion I don't particularly agree with, and have my own opinion of them.
    Why not? Surely each word God says is as important as the last? Surely if you are a Christian you believe and follow the teachings in the Bible and by extension, if you don't follow all the Bible's teachings, you are not Christian.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? Surely each word God says is as important as the last? Surely if you are a Christian you believe and follow the teachings in the Bible and by extension, if you don't follow all the Bible's teachings, you are not Christian.
    Disagree. Bible is not exactly the God's word. It has been written by people, who have added things to their own convenience, therefore totally unreliable.

I am a Muslim, but even if there are certain commands I don't follow in Islam, that doesn't stop me from being Muslim.

Every human has a right to make a reasonable judgement and the way how they interpret things affect what they believe. As I said I don't follow my religion blindly. Homosexuality is condemned in Islam surely, but we don't live in Medieval society anymore and we know that homosexuality is natural - people can't help what they feel and I'm able to empathise with them outside of what my religion says and make my own rational decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    Are you just stating two random unrelated facts together to try and start a debate?
    I was wondering this aswell :confused:

(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      There is evidence that, while those who have recently immigrated have more conservative views, the subsequent generations tend to move nearer to mainstream views on social issues: http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/763 So while in the short-term there may be increased problems, in the long-term there are not. (And perhaps the effect of those from different countries accepting liberal values will be that those in the countries they emigrated are slightly less inhibited from doing the same, which is a bonus for us.)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by qasman)
      Pray tell, how are they unrelated?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.