The Student Room Group

Parents are hurt and I’ve realised it’s all my fault?? am i the selfish one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by F i s
It would be a contradiction if everyone was optimally happy. We need sad people to have a realisation of what happiness truly is.

Exactly; we need dark in order to find light...
Reply 41
Original post by I-love-life
anyone with any good advice?

You remind me of how I was. Sincere regret and and changing for good is the best way. They may forgive you after months, years it doesn't matter. You are doing it for Allah and hopefully your parents will see that.

Mine haven't forgiven me until long. Even though I tried everything to please them, I realised I that in doing it for Allah, everything sorts itself out.
Reply 42
Original post by F i s
It would be a contradiction if everyone was optimally happy. We need sad people to have a realisation of what happiness truly is.

contradiction? lol.

Also you don't need to be sad, just not happy.
Reply 43
Original post by n1r4v
contradiction? lol.

Also you don't need to be sad, just not happy.

If you aren't either you're a robot.
Reply 44
If your parents are so narrow-minded that they can't tolerate your lifestyle - a lifestyle that is shared by a large proportion of teenagers - then it's their problem.

I can see that they may be disappointed, they have an idea of what they wanted their daughter to be like, but it is their own problem if they don't like the way you live your life. As long as you are working hard in school so that you make the most of the opportunities that your parents provide you with, then I don't see why you should conform to their every wish.
Reply 45
Original post by F i s
If you aren't either you're a robot.

:facepalm2: I'm not always happy or sad, you can be in between.

Not sure why I even started this pseudophilosophical bs
Reply 46
Original post by n1r4v
:facepalm2: I'm not always happy or sad, you can be in between.

Not sure why I even started this pseudophilosophical bs

There's no such thing as neutrality, there's lot's of factors that contribute to general welfare and the negative and positive polls can't just cancel each other out.
Reply 47
Original post by F i s
There's no such thing as neutrality, there's lot's of factors that contribute to general welfare and the negative and positive polls can't just cancel each other out.

u on dat pseudophilosophical bs time cuz?
Reply 48
Original post by n1r4v
u on dat pseudophilosophical bs time cuz?

If I had known the person I was speaking to had the mental ability of an imbecile I wouldn't of replied.
Reply 49
Hey I’m sure some of u have seen the threads about me being a fcked up muslim and a bad daughter to my parents. Today I was at home since my dad didn’t let me leave the house due to the problems that we have had recently (found out about me drinking, clubbing and having a bf). So my mum sat me down and brought like 6 family albums, I spent hours looking at them and couldn’t help crying. It made me realise and appreciate what my parents have done for me and it also made me see where I come from and how i should behave. I am not going to lie but I am some messed up lil bitch and yes I can admit it today. I feel like **** and really regret all the things that i have done in my past..I want to go and tell my parents that im really sorry and beg for forgiveness I have broken their heart and trust. I fcking hate myself right now, I can’t believe how selfish i have become and how badly i have treated my parents. I want to make things right and i really don’t know how to start. I really need to get back on track and show my parents that I am really really sorry. Looking at those pictures has changed me so much I never thought that i would actually call myself a selfish bitch! I feel really guilty and want to actually kill myself for all the times i caused my parents pain :frown: they are sososo disappointed in me and I think my dad hates me. don’t know what to do.. :frown:

EDIT:soz just changed the title lol the old one was dry and too long, only reason for this was to get more replies coz im really upset and i need some wise words from wise pppl :smile:

I think this should be the other way round. It is your life and you should be allowed to make decisions as you please. Parents are there to be supportive no matter what happens. Sure they want to look out for you but at the end of the day you won't be living with them for the rest of your life. You'll move out, possibly move countries, etc...

It is much easier to create your own happiness, unrestricted rather than being stopped by your parents. I'm lucky as my parents are open and supportive. They will always have my back when I need them to.
Reply 50
I feel really guilty and want to actually kill myself

do it
Reply 51
Original post by WildBerrySpirit
I totally understand where you're coming from, but you're not being selfish. You're enjoying yourself, theres no harm in that. I know your parents are pissed off, but they need to accept that throughout time, things change.
I know they'll probably never be understanding of what you want to do, so during your time at home just try to make peace with them. Then when you eventually go uni, party all you want, what your parents don't know, won't hurt them.

Being Muslim, drinking, clubbing etc.. ah not really liked or allowed thats why.
Reply 52
Grow a pair
Reply 53
Frankly I think it's massively unreasonable of any parents to bring up a child in a certain culture and expect them to shun everything about it. Of course you're going to want to go out and have a boyfriend. There is nothing wrong with that! You shouldn't feel guilty.

Of course it's fine if you've decided to put your parents' feelings before all that, but don't hate yourself for trying to have an ordinary life.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending