Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i haven't heard back yet, just wondering if any offers have been given out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bounce7)
    i haven't heard back yet, just wondering if any offers have been given out?
    No, not yet. I haven't, and I haven't heard of anyone getting replies yet. Bristol are notoriously late anyway, my friend got an offer last year in March! I got an email this morning from Bristol 'assuring' me that their silence didn't mean I was getting rejected or anything, but just that they're not going to properly look at any applications until January. So I guess we'll just have to be patient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    No, not yet. I haven't, and I haven't heard of anyone getting replies yet. Bristol are notoriously late anyway, my friend got an offer last year in March! I got an email this morning from Bristol 'assuring' me that their silence didn't mean I was getting rejected or anything, but just that they're not going to properly look at any applications until January. So I guess we'll just have to be patient
    yeah same I got the email! Has anyone been rejected yet do you reckon? Or do they just not look at anyones till jan?! I'm not even too sure how competitive english at Bristol actually is!

ReputationRep:
    i received one two days ago

ReputationRep:
    For eng lit? really! well done! So they are obviously giving out offers for the strong applicants. What were your AS grades like?

ReputationRep:
    yeah same I got the email! Has anyone been rejected yet do you reckon? Or do they just not look at anyones till jan?! I'm not even too sure how competitive english at Bristol actually is!
    I think it is pretty competitive! So I'm really nervous haha! But I heard they give out a handful of rejections in November and December, so hopefully no news is good news but generally I don't think they give out too many offers until after the UCAS deadline. However I am very jealous of the poster above, getting an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    I think it is pretty competitive! So I'm really nervous haha! But I heard they give out a handful of rejections in November and December, so hopefully no news is good news but generally I don't think they give out too many offers until after the UCAS deadline. However I am very jealous of the poster above, getting an offer
    mmm me too haha!
    Yeah, is it something like 5 applicants for every place? Or maybe less ha! yes no news is normally good news with unis haha!
    good luck with your application Is bristol first choice?

ReputationRep:
    mmm me too haha!
    Yeah, is it something like 5 applicants for every place? Or maybe less ha! yes no news is normally good news with unis haha!
    good luck with your application Is bristol first choice?
    thanks, good luck to you too!
    Oxford is actually my first choice, got an interview next week.. I'm absolutely terrrified. but yeah, I don't really think I'll get in, so Bristol is probably my next favourite after that haha what's your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    thanks, good luck to you too!
    Oxford is actually my first choice, got an interview next week.. I'm absolutely terrrified. but yeah, I don't really think I'll get in, so Bristol is probably my next favourite after that haha what's your first choice?
    Hm well, Oxford was my first choice, then Ucl, didn't even get an interview for either, and am regretting rushing the UCAS form may even take a gap year now and reapply. Haven't yet heard back from Durham, bristol or exeter!

Ah good luck for your interview and well done for getting one, especially in the most competitive year ever !!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hm well, Oxford was my first choice, then Ucl, didn't even get an interview for either, and am regretting rushing the UCAS form may even take a gap year now and reapply. Haven't yet heard back from Durham, bristol or exeter!

Ah good luck for your interview and well done for getting one, especially in the most competitive year ever !!!!!!!

thank you! complete fluke i even got an interview :P but yeah applying this year seems to be ridiculously competitive, good luck for your application though i'm sure you'll get an offer at a really good university, or if not, just reapply like you mentioned i'm tempted to reapply if i don't get into Oxford but i don't know if i could face getting rejected twice.. :/ haha.

and i just clicked on that poster above who said they got an offer... and on her page it says 'lancaster university' and that she's studying geography?! confused much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    thank you! complete fluke i even got an interview :P but yeah applying this year seems to be ridiculously competitive, good luck for your application though i'm sure you'll get an offer at a really good university, or if not, just reapply like you mentioned i'm tempted to reapply if i don't get into Oxford but i don't know if i could face getting rejected twice.. :/ haha.

and i just clicked on that poster above who said they got an offer... and on her page it says 'lancaster university' and that she's studying geography?! confused much!
    Haha yeah if they are doing geography at lancaster then maybe there no need for us to panic yet hahah :/

Its definitely not a fluke! you are definitely in with a real chance, and yeah this year is ridiculous though, worst year to apply by far.

Yeah, I mean a gap year isn't the end of the world for me I'd probably really enjoy it to be honest

And ahh, same :/ two rejections could be quite traumatic, but its good to aim high and try and get into the best uni you can. is the interview next week???

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah if they are doing geography at lancaster then maybe there no need for us to panic yet hahah :/

Its definitely not a fluke! you are definitely in with a real chance, and yeah this year is ridiculous though, worst year to apply by far.

Yeah, I mean a gap year isn't the end of the world for me I'd probably really enjoy it to be honest

And ahh, same :/ two rejections could be quite traumatic, but its good to aim high and try and get into the best uni you can. is the interview next week???

true trueeee yeah the english interviews start either the 6th or 7th, depending on your last name aha. shows how many applicants there are.. so scared!! but a gap year does sound pretty cool, what do you think you'd spend yours doing? travelling? working? english-y things? i was planning on taking a gap year but i doubt i'd be productive, i'd probably waste a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    true trueeee yeah the english interviews start either the 6th or 7th, depending on your last name aha. shows how many applicants there are.. so scared!! but a gap year does sound pretty cool, what do you think you'd spend yours doing? travelling? working? english-y things? i was planning on taking a gap year but i doubt i'd be productive, i'd probably waste a year!
    Ohh yeah, a lot of people, only one person from my college even got an English interview at Oxford! But all the Cambridge applicants got their interviews. I think i'd spend mine doing tons and tons of reading, also going out to spain to learn the language, as foreign languages are always helpful! and hopefully some englishy work experience or volunteering well you are lucky you wont have to pay the bigger fees though haha and i'm sure you'll love uni!
    If you don't mind me asking, which A levels did you do? i never even did history or a foreign language at A level :/ which is not goood!

ReputationRep:

Did no one advise you about your choices? You picked five of the most competitive universities in the UK - only Cambridge, Edinburgh and St Andrews are likely to be as or more competitive - and there is a very real chance of being rejected by all of them; not because your application is bad, but because of the sheer number of good candidates. Not one of your choices will give out an offer under AAA, and I can see at least three or them requiring at least one A* too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a post-results English applicant for Bristol, so hi!

mmm me too haha!
    Yeah, is it something like 5 applicants for every place? Or maybe less ha!
    According to the website: there are 1,674 applicants for 62 places on the English course. So, 27 applicants for each place. Scary numbers!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yeah, a lot of people, only one person from my college even got an English interview at Oxford! But all the Cambridge applicants got their interviews. I think i'd spend mine doing tons and tons of reading, also going out to spain to learn the language, as foreign languages are always helpful! and hopefully some englishy work experience or volunteering well you are lucky you wont have to pay the bigger fees though haha and i'm sure you'll love uni!
    If you don't mind me asking, which A levels did you do? i never even did history or a foreign language at A level :/ which is not goood!
    sounds like a plan are there a lot of people applying to oxbridge from your school then? there's hardly anyone from mine. funnily enough i am doing those alevels that you mentioned, what did you take? you're not a post a-level applicant are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)

Did no one advise you about your choices? You picked five of the most competitive universities in the UK - only Cambridge, Edinburgh and St Andrews are likely to be as or more competitive - and there is a very real chance of being rejected by all of them; not because your application is bad, but because of the sheer number of good candidates. Not one of your choices will give out an offer under AAA, and I can see at least three or them requiring at least one A* too.
    I know I did, :/ On the basis that yes, i now probably will be rejected for all of them and I guess I can take a gap year and reapply if I do. Well I am predicted A*AA and have a strong application, and want to reach my full potential in English, that is why I went to it. I didn't realise that bristol and exeter are also that competitive though!! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James9876)
    I'm a post-results English applicant for Bristol, so hi!

According to the website: there are 1,674 applicants for 62 places on the English course. So, 27 applicants for each place. Scary numbers!
    Hi so you took a gap year then? Because I will be doing the same I think haha, did you apply to uni last year too?

Woahhh :/ when I went to their open day I asked someone that question, and they said about 5 applicant to every place! then I looked on the website, and found the same thing you did, and that is crazy! Thats more competitive than Durham! I had no idea it was that bad :/!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    sounds like a plan are there a lot of people applying to oxbridge from your school then? there's hardly anyone from mine. funnily enough i am doing those alevels that you mentioned, what did you take? you're not a post a-level applicant are you?
    Yes there are a fair few, more for cambridge though, like 15 for oxford I think and more for cambridge, I dont think the success rate is amazingly high or anything though!
    Ahh okay, which A levels exactly do you do?
    Okay well carrying on to A level I am doing: English literature, english language, and biology
    This year I also took up AS Drama,
    and last year I did AS maths and physics, which I know seem unrelated, but they are still solid hard subjects,.

Nope, i'm not a post A level applicant, I'm in my second year of college at the moment

ReputationRep:
    No, nothing, although I got the same email as most of the above posters did.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.