Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal not to respect the attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In our society, we look up to those who are good looking. But is it normal/usual not to respect somebody more because they are good looking/attractive? Is it only a minority of person who do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    In our society, we look up to those who are good looking. But is it normal/usual not to respect somebody more because they are good looking/attractive? Is it only a minority of person who do this?
    it is normal. Being good looking is not an achievement and is not worthy of respect.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's just not nice to look at really really ugly people.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really acceptable to dislike/disrespect someone just because they're attractive, but if you just mean is it normal to not give them special treatment then that's totally normal, just lots of people do it because they're blinded by hormones and sexual attraction.

ReputationRep:
    if you are better looking, you are likely to require relatively less effort to reach the same level of power compared to someone not as good looking

and the more powerful you are, the more respect you are likely to have

ReputationRep:
    On a sub-concious level, most people tend to react more positively to more attractive individuals; this has been proven in countless psychological studies.

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly is being attractive a reason not to respect a person? This shouldn't be a factor on whether you respect someone or not. It should be on their morals, achievements, what they have done for you, etc.

ReputationRep:
    There's no doubt - good looking people are treated better/have life easier. I think good looking people are quite lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassandra_Z)
    Why exactly is being attractive a reason not to respect a person? This shouldn't be a factor on whether you respect someone or not. It should be on their morals, achievements, what they have done for you, etc.
    I totally agree

ReputationRep:
    Attractiveness is subjective, people have their own perception of what is good looking and what is ugly.

But I agree good looking people do have an advantage, but once their personality is revealed to be displeasing, most people wouldn't respect them as much.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're mixing up 'having respect for an attractive person' with 'feeling inferior to an attractive person'.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what OP said. OP didn't say somebody being attractive should decrease how much you respect them he/she was just saying that attractiveness shouldn't automatically earn a person EXTRA respect then they would get if they were average looking.

ReputationRep:
    You think this is okay?

And I would get shot if i posted any of the following:

Is it normal not to respect the gay?
    Is it normal not to respect the white?
    Is it normal not to respect the black?
    Is it normal not to respect the english?
    Is it normal not to respect the foreign?
    Is it normal not to respect the students?
    Is it normal not to respect the adults?

However there are some makeup plastered wanna be's going about at the moment.........kind of like the winter vomiting bug. I lost my respect for them a long long long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    That's not what OP said. OP didn't say somebody being attractive should decrease how much you respect them he/she was just saying that attractiveness shouldn't automatically earn a person EXTRA respect then they would get if they were average looking.
    Then he should have said:

Is it normal not to give an attractive person extra respect?'

The OP should articulate himself properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)

OP is a troll.

He always make these kind of threads and keep going around in circles, disagreeing with people at the same time contradicting himself. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    @GM15

What exactly does "OP" stand for. I'm assuming it is something like original post, but I don't want to just assume without asking for the actual meaning.

The first post bases the thought of respect or no respect depending on a person's attractiveness. I know he didn't say anything about decreasing a respect based upon it but it is still asking a question depending on attractiveness, and i'm sorry but there is nothing that states that the first posts says anything about how someone shouldn't automatically get respect. It's stating whether there are people out there that don't follow social norms of looking up to attractive people.

As for my reasoning for what I said, it merely is asking why base such a thing as respect on something like physical appearances when we should be concentrating on other characteristics of a person to decide whether we do or do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    OP is a troll.

He always make these kind of threads and keep going around in circles, disagreeing with people at the same time contradicting himself. :rolleyes:
    @T-toe: that's exactly what i'm thinking also lol
    @Lonely14: i agree, i have no clue what OP means BUT his statement back to me was ridiculous and not thought out

ReputationRep:

What exactly does "OP" stand for. I'm assuming it is something like original post, but I don't want to just assume without asking for the actual meaning.
    :yes:, it means Original poster.

The first post bases the thought of respect or no respect depending on a person's attractiveness. I know he didn't say anything about decreasing a respect based upon it but it is still asking a question depending on attractiveness, and i'm sorry but there is nothing that states that the first posts says anything about how someone shouldn't automatically get respect. It's stating whether there are people out there that don't follow social norms of looking up to attractive people.

As for my reasoning for what I said, it merely is asking why base such a thing as respect on something like physical appearances when we should be concentrating on other characteristics of a person to decide whether we do or do not.
    Agreed. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)

But is it normal/usual not to respect somebody more because they are good looking/attractive?
    Not very well articulated but its still fairly obvious what OP meant
    More, as in giving them extra respect then you would otherwise just because they look good.

ReputationRep:
    But that is still apart from the fact that you said the originally poster said that attractive people "shouldnt" be given extra respect even though the OP said (even stated in your own recent post) nothing of the sort in its post. It only asks what I stated earlier: whether it is not normal to go against the social norm of looking up to an attractive person. Therefore it is not stating anything but instead asking a question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.