Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speech from a 15 y/o on fees to an audience of 1000+ Watch

ReputationRep:

Marks out of 10 & comments on both delivery & content please.

ReputationRep:
    I 100% agree with everything he said in that video. There are constant arguments between everyone over whether peaceful protest is any use, or if rioting is the only way to gain attention. But I believe the worst thing any of us can do is to ignore what is going on and to carry on being obediant sheeple! As Tom Morello put it during the Xmas No.1 campaign last year, "If enough people unite together then they can overturn the system completely."

ReputationRep:
    He thinks being ideological is a good thing...?

He also acknowledges that the protesters didn't have "any economic knowledge". Well, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody noticed the huge throbbing veins in his neck?

Fairly well spoken for a 15 year old, still a few ums err and buts. But yeah, overall I think its quite well delivered.

Naturally don't agree with any of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but he completely cracks me up. His arrogant attitude and insult of the police force disgusts me.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like he has a mid-atlantic accent as some points, kinda like Mark Ronson

or like some London guy doing a really bad impression of a New Yorker and oh yeah, decent speech

ReputationRep:
    Some of his sentences don't make sense...well they are understandable but he doesn't use normal phrases.

Having said that, he is going to be very good when he's older, he's got the knack of speaking without really saying anything but rhetoric. The police comment will not look great if he ever decides to go into politics though.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what an actual load of utter ****e.
    "I was there with students who didn't have any economic knowledge" , confirms what I thought, that a lot of the people have no clue at all what they are protesting about.
    And his smug remark about police officers? What an utter ****.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Looking at it as an example of "a speech" it's pretty good, especially for his age. He's clearly spent quite some time watching how excellent public speakers make their speeches (I would say he may have taken note from one of the one best public speakers of all time, Hitler, but I really doubt that given that it was a student giving the speech)

I disagree with much of what he said content-wise though.
    No amount of student protests will change the minds of politicians, violent or otherwise. You can make your view known, but don't expect to change minds. They knew the rise in fees would be extremely unpopular - they already know that, and they've made their decision with that knowledge in mind. They have decided that, on balance, it is worth saving the money but having to face thousands of angry students. Politicians are not out to get students and deliberately annoy them or treat them unfairly, they simply saw a large amount of expenditure and reduced it.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like a toff

ReputationRep:
    Good speech, in that it gave you the belief that you are not alone in thinking the tuition fee rises are a bad idea and there is more to be done.

Didn't argue why they were a bad idea though, he didn't seem to know much about the rises, if he did surely he'd have spoke about them.

but as he's 15 i'll give him an 7.

Very entertaining and indeed very well spoken but...

(Original post by Guitarded)
      I 100% agree with everything he said in that video. There are constant arguments between everyone over whether peaceful protest is any use, or if rioting is the only way to gain attention. But I believe the worst thing any of us can do is to ignore what is going on and to carry on being obediant sheeple! As Tom Morello put it during the Xmas No.1 campaign last year, "If enough people unite together then they can overturn the system completely."

(Original post by Azimuth)
      He thinks being ideological is a good thing...?

He also acknowledges that the protesters didn't have "any economic knowledge". Well, yeah.

(Original post by Ocassus)

Fairly well spoken for a 15 year old, still a few ums err and buts. But yeah, overall I think its quite well delivered.

(Original post by Lemons)
      Some of his sentences don't make sense...well they are understandable but he doesn't use normal phrases.

Having said that, he is going to be very good when he's older, he's got the knack of speaking without really saying anything but rhetoric. The police comment will not look great if he ever decides to go into politics though.

(Original post by Danny.)
      Wow, what an actual load of utter ****e.
      "I was there with students who didn't have any economic knowledge" , confirms what I thought, that a lot of the people have no clue at all what they are protesting about.
      And his smug remark about police officers? What an utter ****.
      (Original post by Some random guy)
      I'm sorry but he completely cracks me up. His arrogant attitude and insult of the police force disgusts me.
      ... completely agree with the above. Absolutely right.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      May I ask how likely it is that these are even his opinoins and not just his parents?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Manitude)
      Looking at it as an example of "a speech" it's pretty good, especially for his age. He's clearly spent quite some time watching how excellent public speakers make their speeches (I would say he may have taken note from one of the one best public speakers of all time, Hitler, but I really doubt that given that it was a student giving the speech)

I disagree with much of what he said content-wise though.
      No amount of student protests will change the minds of politicians, violent or otherwise. You can make your view known, but don't expect to change minds. They knew the rise in fees would be extremely unpopular - they already know that, and they've made their decision with that knowledge in mind. They have decided that, on balance, it is worth saving the money but having to face thousands of angry students. Politicians are not out to get students and deliberately annoy them or treat them unfairly, they simply saw a large amount of expenditure and reduced it.
      Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ocassus)

I couldn't stop looking at it.

He didn't really say much. Spoke well for his age though.

ReputationRep:
      cringe?

ReputationRep:
      The problem is that it's all rhetoric and no substance.

ReputationRep:
      Is it me or is there somewhat of a hint of Tony Blair in his voice and intonation? Look at 1:37 to 1:42.

ReputationRep:
      Had to stop watching after a minute. Melodramatic deliveries always make me cringe.

ReputationRep:
      Very well delivered, especially for a 15 year old.

However, it was vacuous, insubstantial rhetoric written to preach to the choir and gratify those who already share his views.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.