Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will explain the situation:

This guy I know is applying for History at UCL, Warwick, Oxford, St Andrews and Sussex.

He claims that after uni, he can go straight into a job in IB earning £70,000 a year. Straight away. Without a maths-related course. With no experience....

I have read that the average graduate salary in IB is around £35k per year. Is this guy the biggest tool in the history of mankind or is there some truth in his claim?

Cheers

(Oh, and he got rejected from Oxford the other day.)

ReputationRep:
    You can be on six figures straight out of uni if you go into one of the big banks, lots of bankers have done history

haters gonna hate

ReputationRep:
    Improbable, but not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    From what I am aware, base salary wise very little chance, but if he is brilliant in his first year, has other big firms after him and is loved by the MDs, base+bonus might be 70k+

ReputationRep:
    IB ?

ReputationRep:
    If he's got connections, through his parents if any, he could possibly get the job. However unless he does amazingly at a top uni it's unlikely, especially with history. I'm not saying it's impossible to be an IB with history just that starting sallary seems to be a bit inflated. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    According to a Prospects book I picked up recently, if you joined a Barristers chamber, you start on £60,000 a year. I never realised anyone got paid that much fresh out of uni :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of my friends in finance cleared £70k total compensation last year. Quite comfortably as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    IB ?
    Irritable Bowel, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

:nooo:

ReputationRep:
    IB ?
    Investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    IB ?
    Which forum are you in...?

ReputationRep:
    His claim is very unlikely to be true. But, after a couple of years post-uni, it's certainly possible. Even as a junior solicitor in the city, you're looking at £60k but only after doing training for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasbir909)

This guy I know is applying for History at UCL, Warwick, Oxford, St Andrews and Sussex.

He claims that after uni, he can go straight into a job in IB earning £70,000 a year. Straight away. Without a maths-related course. With no experience....

I have read that the average graduate salary in IB is around £35k per year. Is this guy the biggest tool in the history of mankind or is there some truth in his claim?

Cheers

IB starting saleries this year range from around 45k-60k so it is possible that the 70k base salery could be broken in 3/4 years time, when this candidate will start a grad role.

In answer to your Q, yeah he can work in IB without maths, many do! Banks are very diverse and need a strong well rounded talent pool. Having said that, getting a position in a bank is very competitive and only the best are successful.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a maths PhD going into a small hedge fund firm, then yes £70k. But not to a history graduate, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    base plus bonus = £70k for an analyst 1st yr is possible
    two hurdles
    oxbridge/lse degrees are prefered - they get interviews more easily, once ur thru the door, its nebodys to get, however
    and two, he has to perform well to make that bonus

so improbable not impossible is spot on

ReputationRep:
    It can happen, it is very rare though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasbir909)

Cheers

did u have a party?

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely, but not impossible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.