Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've got a friend who wants to do medicine his GCSE grades were not amazing he got mostly C's some B's and one A and he's predicted CBA for his A-Levels and I said to him "I don't think medicine is for you" and he took it the wrong way and started saying I think I'm a know it all and snobby cause I go to a private school but there is no point in him putting all this effort in if he has no chance of getting the grades. I never meant to call him stupid or anything I was being cruel to be nice, now I feel really bad and he's refusing to talk to me.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're true. But I wouldn't say that to a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst you're right, unless there were mitigating circumstances he most likely wont get any offers, you probably could have said it a bit more sensitively.

However, you can't force him not to apply, maybe you could apologize and suggest that he applies to a different science course as his backup. Although at my school if we didn't do well enough at As/weren't realistically predicted high enough then the school wouldn't support a medicine application.

ReputationRep:
    you did the right thing, your telling the friend honest advice and that's what friends are for. im with you and say that he's acting childish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just amused at the order you chose to put his predicted A-Level grades in... CBA, haha. It's the small pleasures that are keeping me going strong these days. :rolleyes:

OP - you could've tried to be a little more tactful with your friend, especially if he has his hopes set on studying medicine. Fair enough, you were being honest, but there were a million other (and much nicer) ways that you could've worded it, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I probably put it in that order sub consciously and I did try to break it to him a little slowly but he just couldn't get the point so I just came out and said it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Ok, so I've got a friend who wants to do medicine his GCSE grades were not amazing he got mostly C's some B's and one A and he's predicted CBA for his A-Levels and I said to him "I don't think medicine is for you" and he took it the wrong way and started saying I think I'm a know it all and snobby cause I go to a private school but there is no point in him putting all this effort in if he has no chance of getting the grades. I never meant to call him stupid or anything I was being cruel to be nice, now I feel really bad and he's refusing to talk to me.
    Ahh that's nothing. I took the piss out of one of my friends who missed out on getting an interview from Cambridge for medicine because he was 5 UMS marks away from getting an A in his physics exam. Oh ! the joy of mocking your friends.

ReputationRep:
    just encourage him to work harder, let him know you believe in him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    Ahh that's nothing. I took the piss out of one of my friends who missed out on getting an interview from Cambridge for medicine because he was 5 UMS marks away from getting an A in his physics exam. Oh ! the joy of mocking your friends.
    I just can't live with guilt. It drives me nuts. I don't mind mocking people if they know it's a joke and just laugh it off but my friend is acting really childish, I feel like knocking some sense into him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I just can't live with guilt. It drives me nuts. I don't mind mocking people if they know it's a joke and just laugh it off but my friend is acting really childish, I feel like knocking some sense into him.
    If you really feel that bad then apologise to him and support him. When he gets 4 rejections, he will fall flat on his face and realise what you were trying to do. He needs a good kick up his back side. I don't want to sound harsh but some people need a reality check. Every year people with grades like A*AA miss out on university places and he is only predicted ABC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    it seems like you did the right thing. just apologise for offending him, and give him time to come to terms with it, im sure he'll come around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lissshannon)
    it seems like you did the right thing. just apologise for offending him, and give him time to come to terms with it, im sure he'll come around
    I've tried apologising but he's gone crazy doesn't pick up his phone doesn't reply to texts blocked me from facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Friend needs to chillax and get a reality check!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I've tried apologising but he's gone crazy doesn't pick up his phone doesn't reply to texts blocked me from facebook.
    well then he is being childish, i'm sure sooner or later he'll realise he's being an idiot. just be patient with him.

ReputationRep:
    I think you could have worded it a little better- but it's kind of good that you're telling him because it will let him make more realistic plans (if he takes you seriously, that is).

He might be able to get into medicine eventually, just probably not straight from A Levels. Tell him this rather than just saying he can't

ReputationRep:
    Someone had to tell him. He is out of his mind to apply with ABC.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.