Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can anyone please help me.

i'm 5ft 6 and 13st 3lb. i am wanting to lose 4-4.5 stone by may. the weight doesn't seem to shift. can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions that could help me, im getting desperate.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have a quick look at the stickies mate, they might help you out a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    can anyone please help me.

i'm 5ft 6 and 13st 3lb. i am wanting to lose 4-4.5 stone by may. the weight doesn't seem to shift. can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions that could help me, im getting desperate.

thanks
    Cut off your head - its very heavy

ReputationRep:
    Eat less. Run more.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well first thing, pop to the doctor's and check you haven't got a thryoid problem as the weight isnt shifting.

If you're medically ok, then more exercise is always the best solution. I know it's hard in the winter, and gyms can be daunting/expensive. Try to do something you like, football, swimming even just going for a brisk walk a couple of times a week with your ipod.

Meal wise, its hard over Christamas to diet, a quick fix way - and not a long term solution - is to eat the same as you are right now, except for one meal. I.e. lunch, and swap whatever you normally have for total fruit. That way when you have your evening meal the fruit will burn it up faster. (And you still get to eat the foods you like with family/friends)

Sorry you're having a tough time, and remember that everyone has some issues at some point. Oh and girls don't like skinny men. Chunky is always preferrable to nobbly knees! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudrunner)
    Meal wise, its hard over Christamas to diet, a quick fix way - and not a long term solution - is to eat the same as you are right now, except for one meal. I.e. lunch, and swap whatever you normally have for total fruit. That way when you have your evening meal the fruit will burn it up faster. (And you still get to eat the foods you like with family/friends)
    Load of arse gravy!!! That is about as factual as Jehova!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Load of arse gravy!!! That is about as factual as Jehova!

what...ever

ReputationRep:
    what...ever
    To the OP, you see from this response rather than actually posting scientific evidence to support her bogus claims when challenged this chapess decides to post something far more useful and mature.

I am sure you can just from this just how worthwhile what she had to say is!!

There is lots of useful information in the stickies, one I complied (under the guise of Powerlifter) is directly related to weight loss for women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    To the OP, you see from this response rather than actually posting scientific evidence to support her bogus claims when challenged this chapess decides to post something far more useful and mature.

I am sure you can just from this just how worthwhile what she had to say is!!

There is lots of useful information in the stickies, one I complied (under the guise of Powerlifter) is directly related to weight loss for women.
    It is a shame that someone so obviously knowledgable about health and weightlifting is so quick to aggressively dismiss any alternative help offered out of kindness. The textbook, scientifically proven advice takes two minutes on google to discover. Rather, I felt the OP looking for personal hints and tips, and I offerred what works for my and my abs.

I happen to be a regular gym-goer and know a lot about healthy eating. I also know that, man or woman, around christmas time it is difficult to restrict your food intake. So replacing one meal is a simpler way to manage calories in and calories out.

Furthermore, weight loss is all relative. Whether you replace a high carb sandwhich with protein rich fruit or a salad, the overall effect will be the same. The fruit just takes the edge of the sugar craving... and whilst I disclosed it was not a long term solution, it was a helpful hint given for selfless reasons.

You're most likely incredibly buff on the outside, you might chose to work on your manner? And if you still think im talking ****, maybe be less didactic about it, and you may find that Im actually really very lovely.

I'ma now going to eat a kitkat CHUNKY

LOVE,
    me and my abs xxx

ReputationRep:
    HIIT - Full body Work out repeat until happy.

ReputationRep:
    It is a shame that someone so obviously knowledgable about health and weightlifting is so quick to aggressively dismiss any alternative help offered out of kindness. The textbook, scientifically proven advice takes two minutes on google to discover. Rather, I felt the OP looking for personal hints and tips, and I offerred what works for my and my abs.

I happen to be a regular gym-goer and know a lot about healthy eating. I also know that, man or woman, around christmas time it is difficult to restrict your food intake. So replacing one meal is a simpler way to manage calories in and calories out.
    Kindness or not it's nonsense and this 'I'm a regular gym goer - I know what I'm talking about' routine is used far too commonly to advocate otherwise poor advice. Everybody wants to be an expert but in reality only a tiny minority genuinely are.

Furthermore, weight loss is all relative. Whether you replace a high carb sandwhich with protein rich fruit or a salad, the overall effect will be the same. The fruit just takes the edge of the sugar craving... and whilst I disclosed it was not a long term solution, it was a helpful hint given for selfless reasons.
    Fruit and salads are not rich in protein and all calories are not created equally (ie; different foods have different thermic effects on the body, nutrient densities and uses). Someone consuming a quality diet is going to look and feel profoundly different to someone who has no idea of healthy eating or portion control and tries to lose fat by binging on fruit.

ReputationRep:
    It is a shame that someone so obviously knowledgable about health and weightlifting is so quick to aggressively dismiss any alternative help offered out of kindness.

It may be offered out of kindness, but it is factually innacurate and as such useless and not any help - very much akin to saying "Oh you will pull through" to a terminally ill patient

The textbook, scientifically proven advice takes two minutes on google to discover. Rather, I felt the OP looking for personal hints and tips, and I offerred what works for my and my abs.

My and my? Me and my abs my dear!!! What is this 'scientifically proven' text book then, you still have supplied no evidence

Stating you "Know alot about healthy eating" then suggesting fruit is "Protien rich" is laughable - fruit is fibre and carbohydrate rich and contains very little protien!!!!
    You can go the the gym as much as you like, even a magical one with protien apples in it. However just becuase I drive into a garage everyday doesn't make me a mechanic!4
    The sugar craving is satated as fruit is extremely high in fructose which is a form of sugar, hence the craving dissapears!

You're most likely incredibly buff on the outside, you might chose to work on your manner? And if you still think im talking ****, maybe be less didactic about it, and you may find that Im actually really very lovely.

I am not actually, but I much like many others on here tire of people like you giving 'advice' when it is a load of rubbish.
    Less didactic? the very purpose of advice is that it is educational and informative - how can you be so obtuse?

I'ma now going to eat a kitkat CHUNKY

LOVE,
    me and my abs xxx
    You don't have abs, plain and simple - by all means prove me wrong

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.