Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I am in the final year of my degree, but am struggling financially. I have applied to the Access to Learning fund but have been rejected. I am living at home, but my parents give me £50 per week. I haven't been able to get a part time job, despite sending out lots of applications, but currently have one week's money before my overdraft is paid up. I only received the basic loan. I know my parents don't want me to leave Uni, but I don't feel they are supporting me as much as they could, even though my dad has had a great reduction in the number of hours he's working this year. I only scraped a low 2.1 last year and have also repeated a year, so feel very disillusioned. I had significant debt problems in my second year due to living away and have struggled to regain a healthy position. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your Living at home & have £50/ week for food ... pretty sweet?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedone)
    Hi guys

I am in the final year of my degree, but am struggling financially. I have applied to the Access to Learning fund but have been rejected. I am living at home, but my parents give me £50 per week. I haven't been able to get a part time job, despite sending out lots of applications, but currently have one week's money before my overdraft is paid up. I only received the basic loan. I know my parents don't want me to leave Uni, but I don't feel they are supporting me as much as they could, even though my dad has had a great reduction in the number of hours he's working this year. I only scraped a low 2.1 last year and have also repeated a year, so feel very disillusioned. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    If your fathers work situation has changed you need to contact student finance and inform them of a change of circumstance - you could well be entitled to some more money, including backdated payments from when the change occurred.

Your university should also have a hardship fund if you're really struggling.

Tbh though if you aren't paying rent at home and your tuition fees are paid and you get £50 a week from your parents I can't see how you've wound up in this mess?

ReputationRep:
    lol appreciate the fact that you don't have to pay THEM £50 for living in there house. I mean are you serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volvicwater)
    My personal advice don't leave Uni my sister had the same Problem and she leaved Uni at the end it was the biggest mistake in her life trust me look for a JOb finished. GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST
    Leaved . Sir, you have taken the English language and shredded it into pieces.:clap2:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the problem. If you're living at home what do you even need £50 for?

ReputationRep:
    Student loan + no rent + extra £50 a week == £££?
    Unless you have missed something out in the description of your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    Leaved . Sir, you have taken the English language and shredded it into pieces.:clap2:
    usually grammar police dicks piss me off but that was good. well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    usually grammar police dicks piss me off but that was good. well done
    I am not usually that nitpicky but this one genuinely made me laugh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    youre living at home on £50 a week? i had that last year and i was in halls!! i dont see your problem! £50 is more than enough and what did you do with your loan???... if youre really struggling make some cut backs

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    What do you actually have to spend money im assuming travel and food, £50 a week should be enough to survive on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    I am not usually that nitpicky but this one genuinely made me laugh.
    :ahee: says :GUESS WOT !
    :confused: : what?
    :ahee: : my sister leaved uni...
    :wtf:

lols

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.