Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transferring contacts and messages? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a new iPhone 4 contract on a different network from my previous contract, and I want to be able to transfer my contacts from my old phone to my new phone. I also have a lot of texts with sentimental value that I'd really like to be able to keep Because my new and old sim cards are different sizes, I can't transfer stuff between them, and my old phone doesn't even have the option to save messages to the sim (although I can save them to the memory card). I can't seem to be able to transfer messages or contacts to my computer or to my new phone via bluetooth either. I've tried Google but no success Is there anything I can do?

My old phone is a Sony Ericsson W910i, and I've moved from Orange to 3 so it's locked to Orange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    I have a new iPhone 4 contract on a different network from my previous contract, and I want to be able to transfer my contacts from my old phone to my new phone. I also have a lot of texts with sentimental value that I'd really like to be able to keep Because my new and old sim cards are different sizes, I can't transfer stuff between them, and my old phone doesn't even have the option to save messages to the sim (although I can save them to the memory card). I can't seem to be able to transfer messages or contacts to my computer or to my new phone via bluetooth either. I've tried Google but no success Is there anything I can do?

My old phone is a Sony Ericsson W910i, and I've moved from Orange to 3 so it's locked to Orange.
    What is wrong with backing up both messages and contacts to memory card, then plugging that into a computer and working from there? Assuming this isn't an option, see below.

http://www.treasuremytext.com/ is an online backup of texts. You would need to forward them to a number though which could get pricey if on PAYG, and it could be tricky getting them onto the new phone.
    You could attempt to buy a sim card reader, but they're rather unreliable and can't be guaranteed to work by any means, so do be careful about that as an option for contacts or text messages. My ideas for text messages end here - I have no idea how one would get them onto the new simcard on the iphone. There may well be an app for that, but am unsure (as an aside, bluetooth on the iphone is crippled - you won't be able to use it for very much).

In terms of contacts, the most difficult part will be getting them off the old phone. From there you have many options. When you say you can't get contacts to your computer, what were you using? Possibly http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/supp...0i?cc=gb&lc=en ? What wasn't working?

ReputationRep:
    find some way to get the contacts onto your computer (surely sony ericcson has a way of doing this) then get them up onto google, then get your iphone to sync with google. this way you can pick up any smartphone in the world and get all your contacts (and calenders etc) synced straight onto it. so it's the last time you'll have to do things the slow way.

as for messages, i gave up trying to keep sentimental texts alive a long time ago :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.