17.65%
    Metal
    11.76%
    Classical
    35.29%
    none(boring people)
    17.65%

ReputationRep:
    If you find music not an enhancer of studying you probably have only tried a few genres. I have been through a lot recently and one time at 3am I found my self listening to Trance on the radio, it made maths like a rave. That is why anyone who studies with trance is in the zone.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has a preference of music to study to?

ReputationRep:
    Scouting for Girls

ReputationRep:
    Classical, I'd say. Some Jazz is good, too, as is IDM. I can't listen to music with lyrics whilst studying because it distracts me.

ReputationRep:
    Post-Rock, like God is an Astronaut and Mogwai do seem to get me working more focused than any other genre I listen to.

ReputationRep:
    I usually put on an album I don;t know very well because when I don't know the words I don't pay as much attention to it. Sometimes I put my Classical Spotify playlist on if I really need to concentrate.

ReputationRep:
    None. Whilst listening to music is fine if you're just doing something menial that doesn't require a lot of thought, once you need to actually sit and think really hard its impossible to do so with background noise. You don't see Sherlock Holmes listening to music do you?

Unfortunately most people are not even aware of this, because they've managed to drift through life without every actually thinking hard about anything. How on earth they ever expect to achieve anything is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    eminem for english, he's a lyrical genius

ReputationRep:
    Jack Johnson FTW

ReputationRep:
    instrumental/foreign stuff/stuff where i can't understand the lyrics. , otherwise I find the lyrics and what I'm reading get crossed in my head and I can't concentrate. Some bands seem to be an exception, like the gathering and pink floyd.

Mostly: Drudkh, wyrd, burzum, wolves in the throne room, alcest, amaesours, les discrets, lantlos, negura bunget. blut aus nord, and any kind of grindcore or classical.

ReputationRep:
    R&B, Hip-Hop, Feist, Yelle, Cansei de Ser Sexy, The xx or Asian music :yep:

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I always found it really easy to write history essays and English analyses whilst listening to We The Kings :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Usually none, but if I need to type a lot of info fast I often stick on some Jay-Z or Biggie. Kinda ironic really since I am the most anti-rap person I know but the beat of rap (and techno) helps me type.

(Original post by py0alb)
    None. Whilst listening to music is fine if you're just doing something menial that doesn't require a lot of thought, once you need to actually sit and think really hard its impossible to do so with background noise. You don't see Sherlock Holmes listening to music do you?

Unfortunately most people are not even aware of this, because they've managed to drift through life without every actually thinking hard about anything. How on earth they ever expect to achieve anything is beyond me.
    I fail at science, but hasn't the work of Mozart been proven to help improve concentration. (may be total BS and yet another inconclusive psychology paper mis interpreted by the media).

Personally, I always find that classical sticks me in a relaxed state which is perfect for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Instrumentals only when studying. I cannot listen to words or else I can't help but join in, Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Usually none, but if I need to type a lot of info fast I often stick on some Jay-Z or Biggie. Kinda ironic really since I am the most anti-rap person I know but the beat of rap (and techno) helps me type.

I fail at science, but hasn't the work of Mozart been proven to help improve concentration. (may be total BS and yet another inconclusive psychology paper mis interpreted by the media).

Personally, I always find that classical sticks me in a relaxed state which is perfect for reading.

I've heard stuff similar to that, but I'm not sure its true, or at least not in the way I'm talking about. I have no doubt that listening to music can help you do menial tasks that involve no higher brain power.

Also, perhaps it is different for girls, who are generally able to do two things at once a lot better than guys. I fail so hard at multitasking that I can't even taste food in a noisy room. I can't even hear people speaking to me when I'm reading a book. I hear noise but it doesn't register as words.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Classical vitamin string quartet cover's

Firefly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4dy66LMEYQ

ReputationRep:
    I've heard stuff similar to that, but I'm not sure its true, or at least not in the way I'm talking about. I have no doubt that listening to music can help you do menial tasks that involve no higher brain power.

Also, perhaps it is different for girls, who are generally able to do two things at once a lot better than guys. I fail so hard at multitasking that I can't even taste food in a noisy room. I can't even hear people speaking to me when I'm reading a book. I hear noise but it doesn't register as words.
    Generally I use my own discretion. If I can't concentrate, the music goes off. I also tend to fail at multi tasking but the internet has made me far more capable at using music whilst working.

ReputationRep:
    I usually listen to podcasts whenever I revise.

ReputationRep:
    I put eminem to get me going, then play game sound tracks to keep me there.

ReputationRep:

This, absolutely ^^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.