Just realised that this is quite long. Sowwie
Hi everyone. Good news for me today, because I got an email from the University of Manchester saying:
"We are pleased to confirm that we will shortly be making you a conditional offer, which you will receive through UCAS."
It also included other stuff about visiting in February and getting to know the University.
I know that the offer will be AAB (or lower) since this is what they have stated on the website for the entry requirements for Mechanical Engineering MEng. It is pretty rare that they will go higher, so I hope I'm right in assuming it will be this.
Anyway, my dilemma begins now, because I really didn't think I'd be getting an offer! This is because I got a D in Physics at AS, and I dropped it too, so I thought to myself, "And I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering? I'm screwed." This is why I applied to Southampton's Engineering with a Foundation Year Meng course, which has the requirements BBB, but more specially requires only Mathematics. I wanted a safe option, because I thought I was going to get rejections from others. Also, it was a safer option just incase I screw up my January exams.
I did this almost two weeks ago, so the deadline to change courses/universities has not passed yet, and will pass on Wednesday night/Thursday. This is the reason I can't wait to see what the conditional offer is exactly, unless it happens to be uploaded onto track by tommorow.
If I am honest, the University of Southampton doesn't sound too exciting in terms of nightlife etc. because I haven't heard much about it, whereas Nottingham/Manchester have a reputation for that. Plus, the simple fact that it is a 5 year course puts me off, as I was hoping for 4 years max. I know that it is very good for Engineering, however, so is Warwick, which is what I was thinking about changing it to, because it has a very versatile course, and the fact that it is only an hour from home is nice .
So now I have a to make a choice within the next day:
1) Change Southampton (Engineering with a Foundation Year) to Warwick (General Engineering with the option to move into a specialised degree after a year). This means changing a potential BBB offer to AAB. This mean that all my Universities would be AAB. ABB is in range, but they usually give the higher offer.
2) Leave my choices as they are and forget Warwick.
3) Change Exeter to Warwick and keep Southampton? I am really not sure about Exeter's reputation in Engineering; all I know is that it is a great University and a great place.
My other Universities are in my signature.
If anyone could give me some help in this decision then please do
Got an offer from Manchester woo! So should I change my lower uni to a higher one? Watch
- Thread Starter
- 30-11-2010 23:48