Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't make up my mind whether to study this or that.

I am enrolled as an anthropology student, but after a semester studying Italian loved it and have been getting better grades in it (firsts in Italian, 2.1 in Anthropology).

Problem is now, for semester 2 my courses clash and I have to make a decision; to swap to Italian or drop Italian.

I have some idea in my head already, but can someone please delicately weigh up pros and cons of either for me? I'm considering combining it with my other outside subject, history of art.

ReputationRep:
    The pro would be that your boyfriend speaks it.
    The con would be that you might regret it if it all goes tits up with your boyfriend. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    The pro would be that your boyfriend speaks it.
    The con would be that you might regret it if it all goes tits up with your boyfriend. ^^
    lol certo, ma amo l'Italia in ogni caso... e' difficile!
    Non lo so. Aiutami! Puo' aiutarmi! Qualcuno...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    lol certo, ma amo l'Italia in ogni caso... e' difficile!
    Non lo so. Aiutami! Puo' aiutarmi! Qualcuno...
    Io studio italiano all'università

It's difficult. I did have a sliiightly similar situation, as I have a Brazilian boyfriend and I am going to live in Brazil, and I thought how amazing it would be to do Brazilian Studies or whatever as a degree. I did have a look through Clearing, in fact.

But in the end I decided not to because:
    - Although I will live in Brazil, my career will be TEFL. So I decided to stick with the degree for my career. However, you don't need to speak the local language to teach English, so if I wanted to do another career I may have considered more the idea of finding a university where I could do Portuguese and something career related.
    - I've studied several languages before, so I know how to learn one and I am doing okay teaching myself so far, although that is possibly because all the music I listen to is Brazilian and I spend quite a lot of my free time on it.
    - Although I would be able to spend a year in Brazil, it would be one year longer before I could actually move to Brazil and settle down there.
    - I wanted to go to Swansea...

Damn, this seems like such a lame list, I want to do Brazilian Portuguese now!

ReputationRep:
    Pa pa'l americano :mmm::awesome:

Just do anthropology, think about this. There's a lot of career options when you pick Anthropology than Italian. It's up to you though.
    Don't think of right now, think of your future after you're done with it.
    Hope that helps.

Didn't Clegg do Anthropology or something?...I'd stay well away.

ReputationRep:
      What jobs can anthropology offer that italian doesn't? I'm so confused...!

ReputationRep:
      Couldn't you transfer to another uni where there aren't any clashes?

http://www.filmai.in/uzeik-306977.html

ReputationRep:
      no, the only uni that offers joint in anthro and italian is sussex... and I love my uni

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.