Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I desperately need some input on my situation that has been driving me crazy lately: For Christmas I wanted to change my last name to my stepdads (whom I have called Dad for as long as I could remember since he has always taken care of me and my mom since I was a little more than a one year old) as one of my gifts to him.

BUT one of my friends made me feel completely awkward when I told him about it and responded with the following: (please note that this was through text also )

"Wow! That's a big thing, that's wow haha, you really going to do that?"

"Idk haha, no not bad. That would just be so weird for me. Your brother and mom have the same last name too?"

Am I not seeing something that makes me changing my last name to my fathers weird? I was really hurt from the way he responded and it really confused me. Please Help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. Whose name do your brother and mum have?

ReputationRep:
    Cool story Cassandra Zena

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that. My real dad left me and my mom before I was even born. My stepdad whom I have always called my Dad came into the picture when I was about one years old. My mother, brother, and fathers last name is Summers, which is what i'm trying to change my last name to.

ReputationRep:
    I think if your friend hasn't been in that situation he will find it hard to comprehend how you can see someone who isn't biologically your father as your dad. It's a lovely thing to do and your step-father will probably be very touched. What did he mean about your mum/brother's names? If their surname is the same as yours then I probably wouldn't do it but it's obviously completely up to you but if it's the same as your step-dad's then it will be really nice for you all to be 'united' by sharing your surname. If you currently get asked a lot of questions about the different names, changing your name will solve this too.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO.. ummmmm that is not my last name. I havn't heard about that show in forever too. But thank you for the laugh! lol

ReputationRep:
    Sorry yeah it's very confusing what I said, but my mother and brother have my dad's last name since my mother got married to him and they later had my little brother. They are the Summers, and I do feel a bit left out and embarrassed when people ask me why my last name is different from everyone's else. It would have been changed right when my mother and father got married, but my birthfather wouldn't give permission for the change. :/

ReputationRep:
    Babe, it's YOUR name

You seem to have very valid and well thought out reasons. You're not doing it on a whim.

My friend did exactly the same as you. He waited till he was 18 and could change it legally without his father's permission

x

ReputationRep:
    Aww, then it's settled. ^_^ I won't overthink it anymore and will continue with the process. Thank you for all the responses! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassandra_Z)
    Sorry yeah it's very confusing what I said, but my mother and brother have my dad's last name since my mother got married to him and they later had my little brother. They are the Summers, and I do feel a bit left out and embarrassed when people ask me why my last name is different from everyone's else. It would have been changed right when my mother and father got married, but my birthfather wouldn't give permission for the change. :/
    Then it seems like the perfect thing to do really. I think your friend just doesn't understand that you think of your step-father as your father so you shouldn't listen to him, there's nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassandra_Z)
    Sorry about that. My real dad left me and my mom before I was even born. My stepdad whom I have always called my Dad came into the picture when I was about one years old. My mother, brother, and fathers last name is Summers, which is what i'm trying to change my last name to.
    If everyone else's last name is different to yours then I think changing your name is a really thoughtful idea. I was just checking because if your mum and brother had your current name then I would say to keep it. But yeah, it's a nice idea

ReputationRep:
    Some people may find it odd, but I don't, and neither should you. If your stepdad has been more of a dad to you than your real dad, then by all means, change it. It certainly sounds like that is what you want. I'm sure he'll be really happy.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses! I really do hope he is happy with my little surprise. It was actually my mother's idea, but eitherway I am excited to see his reaction. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I am not really for name changing, to be honest, despite the fact that I haven't spoken nor seen my dad since 1998 yet I have his surname. But I would say:

How about you change your name to include both your mum and step-dad? Forget about your real dad get a double barrelled surname.
    Also, how would your mum and brother feel about it? Because you'd have a different last name to them.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is my mom has the same name as my stepdad. As for my real dad I don't have my birth fathers last name. My mother and him never got married, so I have my mom's maiden name which will still be included in my full name but just with "Summers" added to the end.

Sorry that I didn't make it clear in my first post, but it's actually only me that has the different last name. My mother and brother also have my stepdad's last name.

ReputationRep:
    I would normally discourage anyone who try to change their names, but its my opinion that you fit in the 'exceptional circumstance' box. I can imagine how this can be a great present for your sepdad and its not like you will lose the 'Summer' part, I will go for it

btw I thought changing your name was quit expensive, or did I hear it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Aww i'm glad to hear that! ^_^ I was definitely hoping it was a good idea. I am actually still surprised that no one has told me it would be a bad decision.

I'm not quite sure how it is in London, but here in the U.S. I payed about $168 to get it filed through legalzoom.com. I know it's kind of odd to do such a thing through a website, but I did not want to mess anything up since name-changing isn't exactly something I do often. ^_^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.