Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, so I have to give a presentation this week and I'm so nervous. I don't know wat's wrong with me, I just don't feel comfortable with my environment or uni for that matter. The people are just not what I expected. At Highschool I never had any problems with nerves but I think that was because I had alot of friends and was happy in my environment. I think being at uni has made m develop some type of aniety problem, I'm always anxious and its really getting me down!

ReputationRep:
    Meh your presentation may seem like the biggest thing in the world right now but as time passes it will fade in to insignificance until you barely remember it ever happened.

Unless you **** yourself or something.

ReputationRep:
    I had to do a presentation at uni last week and nearly threw up beforehand, I was that nervous. And it went absolutely fine. If you really know your material well, not much can go wrong once you start speaking. Aim your talk at your tutor if making eye contact with people in the class will make you feel worse. The idea of it is far worse than actually doing it.
    Also, if the people in your class are anything like me, they're not going to remember your presentation after class is over. (i don't mean that in a horrible way, it's just true...i've never sat through someone's presentation and then gone and discussed it with my friends afterwards)
    The only things that can really go wrong are you mess up your words a bit - in which case, deep breath and try again, or you speak too fast - in which case, deep breath again and just talk as if you were explaining something to a family member.
    I guarantee you will be fine.
    As for the anxiety thing, your GP might be able to help. I've been through it - am still going through it, actually, it never really goes away - and it's just a case of learning to deal with it whatever way you can. What works for me is keeping busy, so i don't have the time or energy to focus on my anxiety. It is scary and exhausting at times, I know.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so I have to give a presentation this week and I'm so nervous. I don't know wat's wrong with me, I just don't feel comfortable with my environment or uni for that matter. The people are just not what I expected. At Highschool I never had any problems with nerves but I think that was because I had alot of friends and was happy in my environment. I think being at uni has made m develop some type of aniety problem, I'm always anxious and its really getting me down!
    Fight or flight. Your nervous because you consider it important. Run over your presentation with your friends and a few people you dont know too well to get an honest critique. They will help your perfect it.

Your body is just releasing adrenaline to help you focus, this is a good thing. Just remember that it is a feeling that can be perceived as bad, but when you get into a flow and know that your work is good you will be fine.

Worst comes to worst (if you dont prepare properly which im sure you will) you wont do too well, but you can utilize that feeling and use it as motivation on an assignment that is an essay or project.

Be comfortable with yourself and people will respect you, those who dont have issues and aren't worth the hassle of worrying over.

good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.