Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so i love looking at art books full of pictures etc of works of art. I really want to familiarise myself with lots of artists to keep mw inspired and broaden my knowledge of what's out there. Since I've recently received a lot of vouchers for Waterstones, I was thinking of buying some art books. My question is, are the Taschen basic art/genre series any good? They're fairly small and only really contain around 95 pages or so. That being said, they are quite cheap at around 6 quid.

Heres an example;

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...stein/5461694/

or

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...c+art/6830163/

Are these any good, or am i better off not getting the series and get less, more expensive books like this;

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...+gogh/6765872/

all advice appreciated!

I work in a Waterstones and quite a lot of people seem to like the Taschens. They're often in sale too. I have a few graphic design ones and they've got some great images in even if the text describing them might not make a whole lot of sense.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Norfolkadam)
      I work in a Waterstones and quite a lot of people seem to like the Taschens. They're often in sale too. I have a few graphic design ones and they've got some great images in even if the text describing them might not make a whole lot of sense.
      Cool! I guess ill get em and if i buy a book and end up really liking a particular artist, there's not harm in me buying another more in-depth book about em i suppose!

ReputationRep:
      I'm a bit of an art book junkie myself and I think Phaidon does some pretty good surveys of contemporary/recent art (not so much design). If You just want some pictures on art in general they have one called '10,000 years of art' as well as 'the 20th century art book'. I'd also recommend any of the surveys like painting today, sculpture today etc if you're interested in contemporary art. They also have a design survery called area_2. If you also want some history/theory about specific eras they also have their art and ideas series. I think it's better to start off with a broad category like photography, contemporary art, surrealism or something like that then pick out specific folks you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
      I tend to find that many of their books are all different depending on the author within the series. I have read about 20 of them. I particularly liked the one on Bacon, Warhol, Gaudi, Basquiat but was disappointed with the book on Picasso, and LLoyd-Wright. They are the cheapest and most accessible art books out there and so I recommend them a great deal.

ReputationRep:
      Don't know much about Taschen I'm afraid but can definitely give you some other things you might find interesting:

If you're interested in the HISTORY of art, the development of art over time, why artists painted what they did &c. i'd recommend 'The story of art' by Grombrich. It's amazing! really useful, really easy to read (not full of lots of 'isms' and general artistic techniques) and a really good starting point generally.

If you like LOOKING at pretty pictures i'd say get art:the definitive visual guide. it's pretty hefty and more of a reference book than anything else; and has tons and tons of piccies and artists.

as a way of 'broadening your knowledge both of these would be great. my only qualm for you is that there isn't that much individual detail on specific artists in either book, and they both give more of a general overview. but that might help you to find a new artist that you like?

just some thoughts, hope they're useful!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.