Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys! Firstly, I'm aware that there are already Kindle-related threads on the forum, but I'd like to get the opinion of some English students if at all possible!

So, if you're a second year English Lit. student like me, you'll know how much you've had to spend on books - Norton/Blackwell Anthologies, the classics etc! So my question to you guys is this: Would it be worth investing in an Amazon Kindle? £100 seems like a bargain price considering the majority of books required on my course are pre-1900s and are vastly free throughout the Kindle marketplace. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Eddy
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't because I annotate my books as I read, so would find it harder with Kindle =D

Don't get a Kindle. Get a Sony e-Reader. We sell these where I work and they're great, they're not locked into Amazon so you can shop around for books and get free ones from the Guttenburg Project plus they've got handwriting annotation features.

A way better product.

ReputationRep:
      You should start selling anthologies on if you want some money back! I do it. It's a bit tiresome but well worth it for the regained pennies.

I personally wouldn't buy a Kindle - or any other kind of e-reader for that matter - for my course. Main reason being that it just wouldn't work in seminars (page numbers would be all wrong, there'd be a lack of scholarly annotation on the books etc etc). My tutors wouldn't like it; they're very specific about editions of books we should get as it is in order to speed up close reading activities in seminars.

They're incredibly efficient and all but the traditional book nerd in me can't really bring herself to like them. It just wouldn't be the same as reading a book :o:

ReputationRep:
      I got an ebook-reader - specifically a Sony e-reader, the one with the touch screen. I used it while interrailing, and it was absolutely fantastic. Kept me entertained, as I had so many books to read.

The screens on these things are great. It is quite mind-boggling at first, because it is like reading off paper so it feels quite wrong that this thing is a screen. You get used to it very quickly though, and you also get very used to changing pages on it, etc.

In terms of the page numbers being wrong, they have a "find" feature (one thing I always REALLY miss when reading a physical book rather than using a computer), which might make up for it - if they're talking about a specific passage you could just find it?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Norfolkadam)
      Don't get a Kindle. Get a Sony e-Reader. We sell these where I work and they're great, they're not locked into Amazon so you can shop around for books and get free ones from the Guttenburg Project plus they've got handwriting annotation features.

A way better product.
      Kindles aren't locked into Amazon as such - it is true that they don't natively support the .epub format, but you can convert them, as long as they aren't DRM'd. (So if you've bought an epub book and it's got any sort of copy protection on it, then no, you won't be able to view it on the Kindle.) Most, if not all books on project Gutenberg are also available in .mobi format, so there's no real advantage there. They also support annotations, which are typed with the keyboard, and these persist across devices, ie annotations you add on the kindle will show up on your PC version of kindle and so on.

I've got one, and I quite like it... just thought I'd put the case across, as it seemed you were being a little one-sided

ReputationRep:
      A book is much better and flexible.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.