Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a laptop off Santa this year and have got two lined up atm, one of which has:

Intel® Pentium® Processor T4500 (2.30 GHz, 800 MHz, 1MB)
    Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD
    4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
    320GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

£379

the other having:

Intel® Core™ i3-370M (2.4Ghz, 4 Threads, 3M cache)
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
    3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x1024 + 1x2048]
    320GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

£429

both have the same screen size and both have a DVD RW drive, Is it worth paying the extra £50 for the better processor even with it having 1GB less RAM?

If it helps I'd only be using it for the usual [web browsing etc], with the only game running on it being football manager.

Appreciate any help in helping me choose so i can get a move on n order the badboy, cheers

ReputationRep:
    out of those i'd definitely get the i3, it's a much better processor

ReputationRep:
    im sure u can do better for 430

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the replies, any idea on where to look to do better for anything up to £450 mate? These pair off from Dell, thought they were pretty decent as prices go?

ReputationRep:
    It's generally rather easy to upgrade RAM in a laptop, and near impossible to change the processor. Get the i3, RAM is pretty cheap now so you could even just swap the 1GB stick for a 2GB one as soon as you get the computer. In addition, although neither laptop has a dedicated graphics card, the integrated graphics in the i3 is quite a bit better than the graphics chip that comes with the other one, so you'd have a better chance of running basic games. Dells tend to be good value and reasonable quality, and you can often get 10% off if you look around.

ReputationRep:
    Santa doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lebron)
    Cheers for the replies, any idea on where to look to do better for anything up to £450 mate? These pair off from Dell, thought they were pretty decent as prices go?
    l'll look

BTW what are you using a laptop for? as a lot of tasks only need the bare min

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    Santa doesn't exist.
    **** off, you're having me on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1re)
    l'll look

BTW what are you using a laptop for? as a lot of tasks only need the bare min
    As long as it runs Football Manager smoothly and can handle 3 or 4 apps open at the same time I'll be sound, not gonna be playing any other games on it due to having a PS3 and won't need to edit videos etc so maybe 3GB would be plenty after all.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it runs Football Manager smoothly and can handle 3 or 4 apps open at the same time I'll be sound, not gonna be playing any other games on it due to having a PS3 and won't need to edit videos etc so maybe 3GB would be plenty after all.
    TBH either will do them, and 4GB is a minimum I'd suggest as you always want a bit extra than you are going to use.

BUT memory is very cheap, a 2GB stick is only around £20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1re)
    TBH either will do them, and 4GB is a minimum I'd suggest as you always want a bit extra than you are going to use.

BUT memory is very cheap, a 2GB stick is only around £20
    Didn't know memory was so cheap now, I guess that settles it unless you can point me in the direction of a better laptop for around the same price?

ReputationRep:
    In laptops, chose processor/graphics first. RAM is a doddle to upgrade

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know memory was so cheap now, I guess that settles it unless you can point me in the direction of a better laptop for around the same price?
    actually based on a quick google, it's a decent price for the specs

BUT I would hold out maybe 2-4 weeks? I'm sure there's going to be christmas deals

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice everyone, I'll have a think over the next few days whether get that or risk waiting for the christmas deals.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice everyone, I'll have a think over the next few days whether get that or risk waiting for the christmas deals.
    wait, the prices for specs are around market value

so you have nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    unless it's a 64-bit operating system it isn't going to address the 4gb of RAM in the first laptop and the i3 will walk over that pentium.

2nd imo
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    As well as deciding on spec, you should consider what brand it is... I get a funny feeling the 2nd spec is a Packard Bell from Currys, PB are utter ****e.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.