Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tall girl/short guy - what do you think? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I were discussing this this evening.

Do you think its emasculating for a guy to be with a taller girl? Or do you think short men overcompensate by dating tall, beautiful girls? (this seems to happen a lot with famous people - Tom Cruise, Sarkozy... Can't think of many real life examples though)

It does seem to me that a lot of men prefer to approach petite girls, but that might be overanalysing a bit...

I want to know if dating a girl taller than you would be an attractive prospect, or girls, if you've dated a short guy, how did people react? Lots of my female friends list height as a major priority in a partner but it doesn't bother me at all if I find the guy handsome.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it really matters as long they like each other, would you ask this same question that applies at tall men with short women?

ReputationRep:
    basically im 6ft2 and i couldnt date a girl taller than me ever lol. I prefer petite girls.

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, because there's absolutely no social stigma attached to that. I mean, of course there are some guys out there who prefer statuesque girls, but I think that's different. Not like the way 'tall' (or at least, taller than oneself) is a prerequisite quality for so many women when it comes to men.

ReputationRep:
    I think people not in relationships tend to over analyse those that are.

ReputationRep:
    As a 6'1" girl I have dated a few guys who are a couple of inches shorter than me. My current boyfriend is about an inch and a half shorter than me... and I always wear heels when we go out together (because he loves them) and the fact I am taller doesn't bother him in the slightest.

It shouldn't feel "emasculating" to a man if he is confident I think.

But at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FkatF)
    No not at all, because there's absolutely no social stigma attached to that. I mean, of course there are some guys out there who prefer statuesque girls, but I think that's different. Not like the way 'tall' (or at least, taller than oneself) is a prerequisite quality for so many women when it comes to men.
    Talk about over analysing... Everyone has a taste they acquired. And they stick with it, like i said before i would never date a taller girl, and only prefer petite girls. Other will completely disagree. Some people bullsht (BS) that its all about personality, when everyone knows that the first impressions are always about looks, although personality comes after initial attraction. And everyone likes different personalities so you cant say everyone will fall for the sweet guy or a romantic guy because some people love dicks lol.

bla bla bla, sorry i am extremely bored and typed up an essay.

ReputationRep:
    Have dated shorter men and love it (I'm 5ft 7), so much more practical and fun than being with a giant towering over you. Also, no neck ache when kissing = win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Have dated shorter men and love it (I'm 5ft 7), so much more practical and fun than being with a giant towering over you. Also, no neck ache when kissing = win.
    tut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    tut.
    I'm not hating on tall men (my last bf was 6ft 3) but short guys don't get enough credit for being all cute and short and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing cute in being short when your a guy, petite girls is a different sorry . But comon most girls prefer to have a tall well built guy standing next to them, well thats what i heard anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find there is far more variety to women than just the usual stereotypes on offer. Most women prefer tall men but then again a lot of women are totally fine with, and even love, being with smaller men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    I think you'll find there is far more variety to women than just the usual stereotypes on offer. Most women prefer tall men but then again a lot of women are totally fine with, and even love, being with smaller men.
    The key word is *MOST*.

ReputationRep:
    Just like *MOST* men say they prefer women with big tits. In reality people are not so black and white with their preferences.

And anyway, since when was there universal consensus on anything.

Short (cute) guys are hot, end of story.

But what does it mean if every girl is taller than you?

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    lol well i was going for girls are hot lol. and big tits? soo untrue not that many guys like that. like i said petite

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5ft10, my last bf was just 5ft8ish. Never had a bf taller than me, this is not a preference.
    It's a bit of a joke when I'm out in heels and I'm 6ft2.
    I went out with them because I liked them at the time.
    But I'd kinda like a taller guy just to feel a bit more 'girly'... because I always wear the trousers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well most of the guys replying are saying they like petite girls :mad: haha

Also a topic like this is bound to involve generalisations, so yeah, we are talking about *most* people, or our personal experiences...

What if the guy in question is 5'6 or 5'7? I think that's pretty short, but I've liked guys that height in the past. Do you think most guys that height are intimidated by taller girls and less inclined to hit on them?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.