Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smokers why did you start. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok,Im not judging anyone here jus curious.I've done it like 8 times in two years I genuinly enjoy it just the oppertunity ain't always there.I most certainly am not addicted but I did have the craving(I wanted to see what they were like*facepalm*) so smokey bears do you genuinly enjoy it or just wanna fit in.

ReputationRep:
    to look badass, but nah tbh curiosity got the better of me.

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes me fly away from reality land for those 5minutes. Infact, I'm going to have a bedtime ciggie, cya.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly did not start to fit in as all my friends smoked throughout secondary school and I only started when I was 19 and at college. I had just recently been dumped and was depressed and wanted to try something new to help cope - smoking was it. Apparantly it's a fairly common scenario to start smoking under a stressful situation, not good as I've always gone back to it in times of need. Haven't smoked for the last month though so I'm not exactly heavily addicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    Because it makes me fly away from reality land for those 5minutes. Infact, I'm going to have a bedtime ciggie, cya.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Cos I is a Bohemian...

ReputationRep:
    I would say the only time I really enjoy smoking is when I'm drunk. The rest of the time it's more of a habit.

ReputationRep:
    I started 3 or 4 years ago. I have consistently had 2 or 3 a day since then. Because I'm an absolute monster.

We basically needed to bring tobacco to have a share of the weed. But we foolishly bought cigarettes (d'oh!), and we didn't have them. So we didn't want to put the cigarettes to waste.

You may be thinking I was just trying to be cool. Let me guarantee you, I probably was.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd been a social [drunk] smoker for a few months (only smoked when I was drinking), and then I had a god awful day with my rents/ school/ work or whatever so came home, stole a fag and that was it, I was hooked :s
    The only reason I haven't quit is because I don't want to get on that road of quitting-starting-quitting-starting, so I'm saving up until I have a good excuse (like getting pregnant) to quit and then giving up for good
    It's a good way to escape though - 5 mins of peace, with only yourself and to think about what's happened since your last and what you have got to do before your next. Me time.

ReputationRep:
    basically dere was dis really hott girl, wen i say hott i mean HOTT i wanted to link her but she is a smoker. She offered me one and i didnt want to look like a mug to her so i had a puff. I pretended like i was a smoker. It hurt my lungs but it worked later dat night i got laid. now shes my gf

PS i have now told her i was pretending and constantly blame her because i am now a smoker

PS She looks like a mix of Rhianna and Cassie just to let u kno so it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    "i do it to escape"
    oh hi dawg i heard you like problems so if you smoke you'll be putting a problem in your problem so you can baww while you baww.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad have / had smoked for most of their lives and certainly all of mine (up until last year when my dad quit) so I'd seen them smoking so many times when I was little that I figured it must be 'normal' and that mum and dad wouldn't do it if it was bad for them. :sigh: So, I tried it and unfortunately I liked it, so here we are, five years later and I'm hooked.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.