Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Firstly, I have heard a lot of rumours that the 'old' Fife Park is being demolished and will no longer be available from next year (2011-2012) onwards. Is this true? Does anyone have any evidence of this? I'm just really worried that they will do this, I am a first year living in Albany Park and I was hoping to apply to the old Fife Park for next year as i know Albany Park is hard to get back into and private accommodation is really expensive from what I've heard. If they knock down the old Fife Park it means Albany Park will be the only place I can afford with my student loan as it is the only other residence under 3300 a year, but competition will increase even more for it.

If the 'old' Fife Park is really being demolished I'm going to probably have to move out of uni accommodation. So does anyone have any advice on cheaper areas/housing estates to live in St Andrews or does anyone know of any flats/houses where you don't have to pay for the 4 months of summer too? When is the best time to start looking? My budget is pretty much my student loan as I come from quite a low income family.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    According to the university's claims over the past few years, every year has been the end of Old Fife Park, and every year there seems to be some of it left. However, since they've actually got as far as knocking some of it down and building NFP buildings, I suspect they might have got their act together this time. This should probably be a decent source of information on the building plans, but it looks like FP was already meant to be demolished by now. It might be worth contacting the university and seeing if they can offer you more up-to-date information, although from my experience they'll probably tell you FP won't be available then change their minds after you've found somewhere else to stay

I think the race for accommodation will probably start in January sometime? I'm not certain exactly when. There are cheaper houses out towards Morrisons, and there should be some houses suitable for your budget - although good lucking finding and securing one. There are also some shorter leases out there, but it's all a case of looking and seeing what you find. There are some university managed properties what might be of relevance, but this list tends to come out after all the other housing lists, and you might want to check if it restricts your option to apply to halls again.

It might be worth considering Andrew Melville Hall - it depends what your food budget is, but if you go into a catered hall and are happy to eat what they provide, AM might be a more reliable option than finding an affordable house in town.

And if you're happy to take a risk, you could just wait until most people are sorted, then see if anyone has a spare room needing someone to fill it. I know people who've paid £45-£50 per week after finding something like that. But it's very much not a reliable option.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Apparently their HMO license for Fife Park was meant to run out at the end of this year but they have had it extended until 2014, meaning that Fife Park will probably remain open till then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.