Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically, I'm turning into a complete waste of space. Watch

Anon or delete.

I'm at a good uni, doing a good degree, in my 2nd year. Not a bad life, certainly nothing to complain about.

But recently I've just started getting suicidal thoughts, and thoughts of cutting myself off from everyone around me for some reason. In school/6th form I was an excellent student, top grades, competitive and all that. But since coming to uni it's just like I've lost the will to succeed and do anything in life.

I've had nothing but depressing thoughts on my mind for the last few months, and I dont know how to snap myself out of this. No I havent seen a doctor, and no I dont want to take medication.
    The only reasons for this sudden personality change that I can think of are that I don't fully enjoy my course/dont have enough friends at uni. Well, I do have friends, but not close ones.

Arghh what do I actually do to get myself back on track?? With the way I'm going theres not a chance in hell of me getting a decent degree and job, and I feel like I'm just wasting my time at uni now too It's literally like it would be so much easier to just throw myself in front of a train or something. Which is the height of pathetic-ness, there are so many people in the world with REAL problems, etc. I know.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to see the Doctor, talk to your counsellor at university.

It seems like a serious matter and TSR is not exactly the best place to ask, but it's always a good thing to let it out.

ReputationRep:
    Stay strong and cheer yourself up, don't talk of train suicide it does you no good at this hour it would be a waste of time (and human life!) Think about the poor sods who would have to tend to such a incident...who would think life is ****ty then.

University can be hard sometimes but your on a good ship if you pardon the crappy metaphor (I'm tired)..it's a party boat with so many people your age, with societies, stacked libraries and cheap beer all at your fingertips! Engaging and interesting comrades and a hotbed of parties, chats at cafes, unleashing your creative and intellectual whims! Basically what I am saying is make the most of your freedoms and priveleges which stem from your presence at a higher institution as it is only a phase in bigger picture of life...and there is so much on offer it is best to hold your head up and embrace it.
    Have a cuppa, put on the radio and chill out, remember there are telephone lines to call also if you feel the urge.

(Original post by Chrisy'ull)
    Stay strong and cheer yourself up, don't talk of train suicide it does you no good at this hour it would be a waste of time (and human life!) Think about the poor sods who would have to tend to such a incident...who would think life is ****ty then.

University can be hard sometimes but your on a good ship if you pardon the crappy metaphor (I'm tired)..it's a party boat with so many people your age, with societies, stacked libraries and cheap beer all at your fingertips! Engaging and interesting comrades and a hotbed of parties, chats at cafes, unleashing your creative and intellectual whims! Basically what I am saying is make the most of your freedoms and priveleges which stem from your presence at a higher institution as it is only a phase in bigger picture of life...and there is so much on offer it is best to hold your head up and embrace it.
    Have a cuppa, put on the radio and chill out, remember there are telephone lines to call also if you feel the urge.
    Thanks for answering.
    The thing is, yeah, there's all that, but life's just feeling so, I don't know, empty. I go out, have fun, have a laugh, but at the end of the day there's just like a hollow or whatever, like it's not enough Don't know how to explain properly really

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for answering.
    The thing is, yeah, there's all that, but life's just feeling so, I don't know, empty. I go out, have fun, have a laugh, but at the end of the day there's just like a hollow or whatever, like it's not enough Don't know how to explain properly really
    I know exactly what you mean. I'm just like you. I feel like there is no point in anything at all. I have friends, but I'm not close enough to them to talk about these things.

I'm sorry I don't have any useful advice to give, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.:console:

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same but I'm in secondry school. Suicide is bad.Think of your family they'd be gutted.You still have your whole life.Make an effort with your not so close friends.
    Good luck Tom

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any hobbies OP? I found that taking up new hobbies is a good way to feel more motivated and fulfilled. Try a musical instrument or a new sport that you like the look of

(Original post by Keckers)
    Do you have any hobbies OP? I found that taking up new hobbies is a good way to feel more motivated and fulfilled. Try a musical instrument or a new sport that you like the look of
    Yeah I used to love art and sport. But I just dont seem to have the willpower to do anything like that anymore. Maybe I need to force myself to join some societies, decent way to meet new people as well..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.