Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edinburgh and KCL for MSc/MA, Internatational Relations Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been accepted to both of the above universities and have had a really tough time deciding which would be a better fit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of quality of life, I think Edinburgh, for myself, would be better. That being said, I've come across stats (Guardian Rankings, but there may be more) that suggest KCL (Department of War Studies) is the better school for politics (and fields associated with politics, like international relations).

While this may be the case, Edinburgh also has an excellent reputation in the UK and internationally, maybe even moreso than KCL, although I'm concerned most with the quality of the international relations programs.

What it comes down to is this: is the quality of the program at KCL (Department of War Studies), as well as the reputation of that department, that much better than that of Edinburgh?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eponymous1968)
    I have been accepted to both of the above universities and have had a really tough time deciding which would be a better fit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of quality of life, I think Edinburgh, for myself, would be better. That being said, I've come across stats (Guardian Rankings, but there may be more) that suggest KCL (Department of War Studies) is the better school for politics (and fields associated with politics, like international relations).

While this may be the case, Edinburgh also has an excellent reputation in the UK and internationally, maybe even moreso than KCL, although I'm concerned most with the quality of the international relations programs.

What it comes down to is this: is the quality of the program at KCL (Department of War Studies), as well as the reputation of that department, that much better than that of Edinburgh?

Thanks for any help!
    I think, overall, KCL will have the better reputation at home and abroad; however, this advantage is not massive. If the life at Edinburgh would make you happier, then it would be the wisest choice. Both would be considered third tier universities, below Oxbridge/Imperial, UCL, LSE. I do not know much about Edinburgh's international relations course. If the course at KCL has any relationship with their war studies department, as you've stated, then it might be prudent to choose that one. Though, as you can see from my post, I don't think there is a huge difference in terms of reputation etc. Choose the university which most appeals to you in terms of social life, the city, course structure etc.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of Oxbridge/LSE as the top schools for postgraduate international relations programs, with St. Andrews/Edinburgh/UCL/King's below that.

Is UCL as reputable in this field as LSE? I was thinking of potentially applying there but have yet to.

ReputationRep:
    I think that KCL & LSE tend to be seen as above UCL for IR, and I would put KCL above Edinburgh too. But someone may wish to correct me.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has firsthand knowledge of the masters programs at Edinburgh (International and European Politics, etc.) it would be extremely useful!

ReputationRep:
    In reply to Edinburgh/Kings question... I am currently a student in Edinburgh Universtiy, studying International Relations.. It is known for one of the most competed for courses in Edinburgh, however I dont find the programme here that interesting. The rankings for politics department in Edinburgh are at about 24th place right now where as Kings is at 3rd or something so I would go with Kings. It has a very good reputation all over the world, so does Edinburgh, but the Edinburgh's moving down the list. Kings is better known for its poltics and social sciences department than Edinburgh.. I would go with Kings.. I am getting quite worried about my future, and I have to say, with Edinburgh moving down on the lists.. its quite scary. But Kings has always been up there on top...So Id deffinitely go with Kings if I had the chance

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.