Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No budget ( in reason) - smart-phone ... Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    i ****ing phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Go on pay if u can afford to, then u can always sell it off and upgrade
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well at a £350 budget you can't get the best smart phones. Though you could maybe get the Desire at that price which is high end.

ReputationRep:
    A bit silly to say no budget smartphone and then say a bugdet of £350, considering most high end smartphones cost more than that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai....php?pid=10207
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Haha. No budget, meaning £350. That's pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    Get a Nexus One off eBay. It'll be cheaper than all the newest smartphones, has the most up to date Android software and it's hardware is still relatively high end.

ReputationRep:
    The best phones on the market now are probably the HTC Desire HD, Apple iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S. You can get the HTC Desire HD for free on a £40 contract, and maybe for around £100 on a £30 contract. The Apple iPhone is expensive on contract - if you are looking for a £30 contract you will have to pay £200+ for the phone too. You can get the Samsung Galaxy S for free on a £30 contract. If I were you though, I'd wait till February before getting a new phone. There are some nice, very high end spec phones coming out with dual core CPUs, such as the Nexus S/Samsung phone and LG Star. If you buy a new phone now it will be outdated by February, so just wait about 3 months and you won't regret it!

ReputationRep:
    I got N8 for 300, best phone i have ever used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakapaka)
    I got N8 for 300, best phone i have ever used.
    I dont believe that for a second! What about it's ****ty Symbian OS?

ReputationRep:
    Wait untill after christmas.
    There are going to be waves of dual core phones coming out!

Avoid Nokia. Their heyday as the phone market leaders is long gone and their much trumpeted N8 is a disaster. Not nice to look at or hold combined with a clunky, slow and ugly UI. The phone equivalent of myself, if you will.

HTC are fine if you're happy being locked into a contract on a phone which is obsolete literally about three months after you buy it as they bring out ten-gazillion new models to replace it. The Desire is a lovely phone and feels nice in your hand, and the Desire HD is the same but better (except I personally think it's too big but each to their own - I might be getting one).

Also, don't knock Windows Phone 7 until you've tried it. It's actually quite nice to use, although it's badly lacking in features at the same time and there aren't anything like half as many handsets as there are Android ones.

I'm personally not a fan of the iPhone. It's not a bad phone per se, just not my thing.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Traceur)
      I dont believe that for a second! What about it's ****ty Symbian OS?
      Dont have a problem with the OS, 1st time using symbian OS and it dose have a old school feel about it. You get use to it in no time, not had any major hang times or any other problems.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Avoid Nokia. Their heyday as the phone market leaders is long gone and their much trumpeted N8 is a disaster. Not nice to look at or hold combined with a clunky, slow and ugly UI. The phone equivalent of myself, if you will.

HTC are fine if you're happy being locked into a contract on a phone which is obsolete literally about three months after you buy it as they bring out ten-gazillion new models to replace it. The Desire is a lovely phone and feels nice in your hand, and the Desire HD is the same but better (except I personally think it's too big but each to their own - I might be getting one).

Also, don't knock Windows Phone 7 until you've tried it. It's actually quite nice to use, although it's badly lacking in features at the same time and there aren't anything like half as many handsets as there are Android ones.

I'm personally not a fan of the iPhone. It's not a bad phone per se, just not my thing.
      This myth that HTC bring out several generations of phones within a year is BS. They've literally had 1.5 gens brought out this year.

1.Desire/Legend
      1.5 Desire HD/ Desire Z

If you bought the Desire back then you'd still be high end, the Desire HD and Z are not replacements for the Desire, just variations for different markets. So in fact HTC have realised only one high end line of Android phones this year.

(Original post by yoyo462001)
        This myth that HTC bring out several generations of phones within a year is BS. They've literally had 1.5 gens brought out this year.

1.Desire/Legend
        1.5 Desire HD/ Desire Z

If you bought the Desire back then you'd still be high end, the Desire HD and Z are not replacements for the Desire, just variations for different markets. So in fact HTC have realised only one high end line of Android phones this year.
        This year, HTC have released:

• Wildfire (essentially a baby Desire, but it's still a separate product)
        • Legend
        • Aria
        • Desire
        • Desire HD
        • Desire Z
        • Evo 4G (CDMA - US only)
        • Smart
        • HD7
        • 7 Pro (might not be released this year, not sure if it's out already)
        • 7 Surrounds
        • 7 Mozart
        • 7 Trophy

That's 13 unless there's some more I've missed, even. It's a confusing lineup and in many cases there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference; it's mostly stuff 90% of phone users won't care about or notice e.g. CPU speeds. Then you've got to choose between Android and WP7.

HTC are also great fans of dropping support for stuff not long after it ships, so don't kid yourself that the Desire HD and Z are "variations for different markets". They can't even guarantee whether or not the original Desire will get Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and it took long enough for HTC Sense to get ported to Froyo.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        This year, HTC have released:

• Wildfire (essentially a baby Desire, but it's still a separate product)
        • Legend
        • Aria
        • Desire
        • Desire HD
        • Desire Z
        • Evo 4G (CDMA - US only)
        • Smart
        • HD7
        • 7 Pro (might not be released this year, not sure if it's out already)
        • 7 Surrounds
        • 7 Mozart
        • 7 Trophy

That's 13 unless there's some more I've missed, even. It's a confusing lineup and in many cases there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference; it's mostly stuff 90% of phone users won't care about or notice e.g. CPU speeds. Then you've got to choose between Android and WP7.

HTC are also great fans of dropping support for stuff not long after it ships, so don't kid yourself that the Desire HD and Z are "variations for different markets". They can't even guarantee whether or not the original Desire will get Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and it took long enough for HTC Sense to get ported to Froyo.
        The Desire HD and Z are variation of the desire. One being one with a big screen the other being one with a keyboard, they have only one ANDROID 3"7 inch in the form of the desire. You also fail to see that HTC are a manufacturer they diversify with different OS's, so like I've said they've only released One line of high end phone for Android, all being slight variations for different markets, which obviously intersect at some points.

In terms of dropping support, :lolwut:. They were one of the first the bring froyo to their phones and it took ages because of carriers, they released froyo end of july which was only 2 months after it was released on the Nexus. It's highly unlikely that they would drop support for the original desire, it will get 2.3.

Either way I've shown (and you have surprisingly) that your original statement of 'HTC release phones every 3 months making your phone obsolete' is wrong.

ReputationRep:
        I'd recommend the Orange San Francisco. Get it unlocked and put it on whichever network you use. Unlock codes are about £2 on eBay.

It's £99 (or £89 with a valid NUS code), but you have to buy £10 credit with Orange too.

Android 2.1
        GPS (With Google Sat Nav Software)
        3G+ (HSDPA)
        Wi-Fi
        Really nice 3.5" Touch Screen (480x800 resolution)
        Accelorometer

All the usual stuff you expect to see in a Smart Phone. Only downfall is the 3.2 megapixel camera.

Link

They are also giving out free Christmas gifts with each one ordered this month I think

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by liamwithers)
        I'd recommend the Orange San Francisco. Get it unlocked and put it on whichever network you use. Unlock codes are about £2 on eBay.
        Except its quite under powered compared to higher end smartphones.

(Original post by yoyo462001)
          The Desire HD and Z are variation of the desire. One being one with a big screen the other being one with a keyboard, they have only one ANDROID 3"7 inch in the form of the desire. You also fail to see that HTC are a manufacturer they diversify with different OS's, so like I've said they've only released One line of high end phone for Android, all being slight variations for different markets, which obviously intersect at some points.

In terms of dropping support, :lolwut:. They were one of the first the bring froyo to their phones and it took ages because of carriers, they released froyo end of july which was only 2 months after it was released on the Nexus. It's highly unlikely that they would drop support for the original desire, it will get 2.3.

Either way I've shown (and you have surprisingly) that your original statement of 'HTC release phones every 3 months making your phone obsolete' is wrong.
          Blub blub blub. Funnily enough, I'm not convinced by you phone nerds. There seems to be an exponentially increasing number of you these days, you sad feckers - always so defensive and fanboyish about a 3.7" screen in your pocket... get a life tbh. This is why I have also stopped reading Engadget.

I remember the days when a phone was a phone and nobody could care less, now it's a deadly clash of the nerds pretty much every time a new model comes out.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          Blub blub blub. Funnily enough, I'm not convinced by you phone nerds. There seems to be an exponentially increasing number of you these days, you sad feckers - always so defensive and fanboyish about a 3.7" screen in your pocket... get a life tbh. This is why I have also stopped reading Engadget.

I remember the days when a phone was a phone and nobody could care less, now it's a deadly clash of the nerds pretty much every time a new model comes out.
          So in fact what you're saying is you know nothing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.