Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

David Cameron - "Before protesting, students need to get the facts straight." Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm merely making this thread to pass on an article written by David Cameron himself for the Evening Standard, outlining the 'truth' behind the funding cuts. I think he makes a few very valid points, and just wanted to put it out there because I couldn't find another thread on it (forgive me if there is one/it's within another thread)...

Anyway, the article is here.

I was just wondering who agreed with this article, and whether anyone else thinks fewer people would be protesting right now if they'd actually done their research. I for one do think lots of people are probably just 'going along for the ride' without really getting the facts straight.

PS. I wrote about how I was merely making the thread to pass on the article to others. Please don't neg me. If you disagree with any of the opinions I give in my following posts, fair enough, but I'm not David Cameron, so there's no reason to neg this one... But you guys obviously don't care about that, so whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Ask someone about the cuts and what they mean. You will get something alone the lines of 'no more ema and we are paying 3x as much on uni tuition'... :/. I don't agree with the cuts and I agree with the protests but people there who don't know why they are there should try jumping off a cliff to see whats at the bottom, just as pointless and more fun for us to watch instead of protests on the tv all day.

Just while i'm here, my major problem with fee increases is the cuts to education that come with them. Had it just been an increase, I wouldn't have minded. We are now paying more for less effectively and what makes it worse is how much universities and their research brings to the uk economy. It's like 'well done on that but do a little worse next time so things that people actually look at do better and we look a bit better.' that's my view anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but to youre statement Bill about ema, fair enough people shouldnt be going just for incentives of EMA etc. BUT, cutting ema will cause alot of the lower class students to stop going to college, which then leads to alot of them becoming lazy and bed ridden, possibly resulting to all sorts of crime. Police numbers are down so it will be easier for them to make money since there is no college, no jobs and cuts of benefits and being forced to do community jobs or whatever if its been passed

Id say its the perfect time for criminals, especially if people have no incentive to do things. If theres no college and hardlys any apprenticeships, you need to be offering students' incentives or they are going to resort to crime, especially when the people and UK generally is getting more poorer

ReputationRep:
    Well i think students are making a mistake protesting. What would they rather have higher tuition fees...or some poorer universities closing down full stop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    Well i think students are making a mistake protesting. What would they rather have higher tuition fees...or some poorer universities closing down full stop...
    I agree with this somewhat. I think it's fair enough if people want to study anything they want, no matter how 'useless' it's seen as, but courses like this should be at further education colleges, not universities. I don't like how everything's all merged into one, I don't see the problem with keeping them separate.

To be honest, I can never see myself fully paying off my student loan as it is, so I wouldn't actually have a problem with the rise - it'd just be more money I'll never pay back. Plus, I'd have to be earning more before even paying any of it back under the new system. I don't really get what the HUGE fuss is about...

Don't these people realise that if all universities were instantly made free all hell would break loose? And since they're so fussed about getting their money's worth, why are they all skiving lectures to protest? Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    F**k fees

(Original post by Dekota-XS)
      F**k fees
      This is a prime example of what alot of these people protesting are like. Despite the fact that you only start paying back when you can afford it at 21k per year people just see 3x the fee = RIOT and then they see nothing else but that.

But in my opinion Cameron is right about most things he has said. There are alot of misconceptions flying around and these sort of fee increases and cuts are unavoidable.

As for EMA I agree it should be removed as the system is so flawed it's unbelievable. But another system has to replace it as poorer students cannot be left out completely but it has to be means tested to a very high degree as the majority of people in my school who get EMA should not as they only spend it on booze anyway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      This is a prime example of what alot of these people protesting are like. Despite the fact that you only start paying back when you can afford it at 21k per year people just see 3x the fee = RIOT and then they see nothing else but that.

But in my opinion Cameron is right about most things he has said. There are alot of misconceptions flying around and these sort of cuts are unavoidable.
      I'm actually really glad to be out of the country whilst all this is happening. I can't imagine how irritating it must be to clamber through the throngs of students behaving like total yobs to reach a lecture. I really don't understand what they think it's going to achieve, especially when they bring in violence and disrespect for police. Gr.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Billy Bryant)
      Ask someone about the cuts and what they mean. You will get something alone the lines of 'no more ema and we are paying 3x as much on uni tuition'... :/. I don't agree with the cuts and I agree with the protests but people there who don't know why they are there should try jumping off a cliff to see whats at the bottom, just as pointless and more fun for us to watch instead of protests on the tv all day.

Just while i'm here, my major problem with fee increases is the cuts to education that come with them. Had it just been an increase, I wouldn't have minded. We are now paying more for less effectively and what makes it worse is how much universities and their research brings to the uk economy. It's like 'well done on that but do a little worse next time so things that people actually look at do better and we look a bit better.' that's my view anyway.
      I agree- I don't like some of the stuff that's happening, and I agree with peaceful protests, but when you watch the news interviewing students a lot of them are saying stuff that just isn't true, presumably cause they heard it from other people rather than looking it up.

ReputationRep:
      i would hazard a guess that 90% of the people out protesting are there because of 'tory scum' because they are that narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
      instead of EMA why dont they give them free bus passes, book tokens and stationary vouchers, since these are what EMA is meant to be for, not clothes, DVDs and going out.

That's so true. On the day of the first protest we saw more Year 9s 10s and 11 leave than sixth formers. You have to wonder whether they have actually done their research or if they're just jumping on the 'Tory scum, we want our EMA' bandwagon.

ReputationRep:
        I agree with the protesting... its just stupid and irratating when the students get violent or just playing stupid...

But I also think that the cuts need to go ahead... and the students aren't the only ones that are being effected by all this

ReputationRep:
        He is such a ****ing moron. These people protesting are anarchists taking any opportunity to riot and cause disruption. They don't believe the changes to funding are an issue, they are using it as an excuse to 'fight the man'.

He is also a ****ing idiot for even thinking we need to reduce the deficit - we don't. These cuts are completely unnecessary. We do not need to save money, but even so why the **** so hard right now when we are barely out of a recession? The Tories are ****ing idiots. They'll never learn and neither will the voter. We will end up with an even bigger deficit and a reduced economy in the next few years I assure you.

David Cameron is such a mug.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Billy Bryant)

As far as I know, that second part isn't really correct, as the money from fees will actually be replacing the withdrawal of direct funding by the government. Indeed, if a university were to charge £9000 then the expectation would be that their funding might well be increased.

ReputationRep:
        yup people dont have a clue whats actually going on, they dont even realise hardly anyone will be paying 9k and the actual limit is 6k in most cases
        they dont realise that if your earning under 30k, your actually paying back less each month, so if you never earn more that 30k your much better off, and seeing as 30k aint a bad wage its a fair system
        they dont realise that they can get a loan to cover everything, the number of people going "oh my parents are poor so i cant afford it" is REALLY starting to piss me off, i just feel like slapping people with this uninformed view. if you could afford to go to uni now, you can still afford it just as easily!

and noone seems to realise that labours alternative the graduate tax is a much more unfair system, leaving almost everyone who gets a decent job worse off, the lib dems were highly against this when it was proposed by the tories

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Flob)
        As far as I know, that second part isn't really correct, as the money from fees will actually be replacing the withdrawal of direct funding by the government. Indeed, if a university were to charge £9000 then the expectation would be that their funding might well be increased.
        I thought the government subsidised our tuition fees a lot, though? Perhaps at the moment, we pay £3,000 and the government pays the other £6,000. I don't think the universities are going to end up with more or less than what they get now, are they?

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, I'm not trying to argue from any point of authority here, I'm just trying to recall what I've heard...

ReputationRep:
        Since when has anyone cared about what they're protesting over? You get the same people joining whatever protest is going, whatever issue is cool to get angry about. The only common theme is the sense of rebellion and the thrill of mass protest. It's never about the actual political (or whatever) issue, and policy makers know this so don't care.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Broderss)
        He is such a ****ing moron. These people protesting are anarchists taking any opportunity to riot and cause disruption. They don't believe the changes to funding are an issue, they are using it as an excuse to 'fight the man'.

He is also a ****ing idiot for even thinking we need to reduce the deficit - we don't. These cuts are completely unnecessary. We do not need to save money, but even so why the **** so hard right now when we are barely out of a recession? The Tories are ****ing idiots. They'll never learn and neither will the voter. We will end up with an even bigger deficit and a reduced economy in the next few years I assure you.

:facepalm2: I think what you mean is that we do not need to reduce our debt. Debt is ok a deficit on the other hand is very very bad. At least a large deficit is, which is what we have.

And how do you know we will have a reduced economy? Maybe you want to go tell that to all those ecnomists and the treasury who seem to be predicting a nice amount of growth as you seem to no better than them.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Broderss)

yes because you, a 20 year old angry student on the internet knows better than the entire elected government.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.